Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 01:48 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
AR has pretty much been a blue state with few exceptions until 2008. Now, all the way from local officials to who carries the state in presidentual elections, it is red. Things change, some for the good and some for the bad. I am sure there were many southern states into the 1970 that still had laws against blacks.
Benton County has been red since the 1960's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 01:50 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
... It is hard to believe but it is very true. Thank goodness those days are gone.
They will be back.

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
-- Usually attributed to Mark Twain.

My own take is that the second half of the 20th century is an aberration. An anomaly in history. America and Europe had liberty, prosperity, and diversity that had never been seen in the world. And never will again.

The "Progressives" of today abandoned the very values that gave us those treasures, and are dismantling all of the gains of those years, while pretending to carry forward the rich traditions that created those treasures. Frankly I doubt many of them would recognize the values that gave us those treasures.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Benton County has been red since the 1960's.
Yes, pretty much aware of that, but I was referring to the state overall. I am sure, part of the reason AR is so red now has to do with the growth of Benton County and possibly Washington county. That takes up a lot of the population in the state.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:18 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Yes, pretty much aware of that, but I was referring to the state overall. I am sure, part of the reason AR is so red now has to do with the growth of Benton County and possibly Washington county. That takes up a lot of the population in the state.
The state hasn't changed much, the parties have.
"Blue" Arkansas was never "blue" as we know it today.
If anything, the newcomers have made Arkansas more moderate with larger numbers of liberals as well.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:25 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
They will be back.

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
-- Usually attributed to Mark Twain.

My own take is that the second half of the 20th century is an aberration. An anomaly in history. America and Europe had liberty, prosperity, and diversity that had never been seen in the world. And never will again.

The "Progressives" of today abandoned the very values that gave us those treasures, and are dismantling all of the gains of those years, while pretending to carry forward the rich traditions that created those treasures. Frankly I doubt many of them would recognize the values that gave us those treasures.
I would agree with this.
Humanity does not perpetually progress, there's more of an ebb and flow to things.
One problem I have with progressives is that they claim humanity started out as imbeciles and are continuing on to some perfect utopian future.
History would suggest otherwise.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 835 times
Quote:
The statement that the parties have changed and not Arkansas is fairly accurate. The Democrat party prior to the 2000's would be considered relatively central on the spectrum by today's standards.

Arkansas has always had conservative viewpoints on social-moral issues. That is a major reason for the switch.

As to the influx of the Hispanic population in Arkansas...
Sometime in the late 1980's the chicken plants of Western Arkansas were in need of workers. There were a few Hispanic men that came here to work in the plants and also construction. In less than 10 years the word spread among family members and friends of family to Hispanics in California and their families flocked here. Many wanted to escape the violent neighborhoods of Southern California and the gangs.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:31 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Well, Arkansas borders Texas, which is approximately 40% Hispanic, so that must count for something.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:34 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
If anything, the newcomers have made Arkansas more moderate with larger numbers of liberals as well.
Reagan won Arkansas in 1980 and 1984. Bush I won in 1988. Native son Clinton won in 1992 and 1996. Bush II won in 2000 and Republicans have carried the state since then.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poli...nt_of_Arkansas

This article has a map of who won which county in 2016.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016...on_in_Arkansas

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 05-23-2019 at 07:44 AM..

Old 05-23-2019, 07:39 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Well, Arkansas borders Texas, which is approximately 40% Hispanic, so that must count for something.
Just the northeast corner of TX, which has the smallest percentage of Hispanics.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Oh for heavens sake: we are talking how they vote not their views. As for the moderates and liberals, we still are electing a very large numbers of Republicans to all offices. That makes us very Red and this wasn't the case before about 10 or so years ago. This doesn't mean there were no GOP elected to office, but the number of Dem outweighed the GOP by a lot. Now it is visa versa and many of the elected official are from the NW part of AR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas