Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,943 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were looking for property in HS area. We were told by the agent that things are not doing as well as in the past there. Home prices are down and building is at a stand still. The agent blamed the things going on in the Village where they are trying to get young couples instead of retired folks. Also the old guard in HS that refuse to update the buildings of the Historic down town. Not sure what is going on. It could be a good time to buy if you want to live there. But I would like to get others opinions on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 03:15 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apostate4ever View Post
My wife and I were looking for property in HS area. We were told by the agent that things are not doing as well as in the past there. Home prices are down and building is at a stand still. The agent blamed the things going on in the Village where they are trying to get young couples instead of retired folks. Also the old guard in HS that refuse to update the buildings of the Historic down town. Not sure what is going on. It could be a good time to buy if you want to live there. But I would like to get others opinions on this.
I don't know where your agent got his/her info because some of it is outdated and some just plain wrong. Perhaps the agent is trying to steer you into another area where the commission is better. The "old guard" is now gone, thank goodness, and downtown is rising from the ashes, literally. Many of the buildings are being repurposed as I type this, and others in the planning stage. I don't know about HSV but there are a couple people who live there Posts here often and hopefully they will jump in here with a response. But just about everything I see Posted here about HSV is positive.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:15 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
It seems that HSV is courting younger folks, to its detriment, IMO. I would not like it if I had bought a house there expecting to live in a retirement community full of peace and quiet, then been invaded by screaming kids.

Yes, I am that person. Get off my lawn!!

Old 06-17-2019, 07:47 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
It seems that HSV is courting younger folks, to its detriment, IMO. I would not like it if I had bought a house there expecting to live in a retirement community full of peace and quiet, then been invaded by screaming kids.

Yes, I am that person. Get off my lawn!!

Hey Luv, you are showing your age Did you take lessons from me ?

Old 06-18-2019, 09:38 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
well, i am not seeing what your agent is seeing in hot springs proper. oaklawn has a project estimated to run into the $100 million +. this is having a ripple effect throughout the entire area. there are several nice new hotels and restaurants which have opened recently and others seeing complete renovation. we have a condo in a complex on lake hamilton and there were 3 that went on the market in may and sold in may. (a couple under contract in only a few days) according to recent comps, property values, especially on the lake are increasing.

i can't give you much info on hsv, as i don't have much contact with that area. but i am confident that you were misled, if you were told that hot springs is in a slump. as for the politics in hot springs, i think i would disagree with your agent on that front also.

start at the math and science school and drive down 7 all the way to the new harp's on 7 south. this is just one avenue in town, but there is new or renovated structures and/or construction on both sides.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,943 times
Well this is good news. I really don't want to see the historic down town turn into the Majestic. What a waste that was.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apostate4ever View Post
Well this is good news. I really don't want to see the historic down town turn into the Majestic. What a waste that was.
I can't believe the historical downtown will lose its charm in our lifetimes.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:49 PM

340 posts, read 515,390 times
Nope, I have been seeing the exact opposite. I think I’d find a new agent.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:27 AM

120 posts, read 65,200 times
I have been there numerous times over the years and noticed that there is no night life to help encourage the young to move and open businesses. There was a very small pocket of upscale restaurants away from the center of town, but the rest of the town was dead. I found that very odd.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Oh It's Magic View Post
I have been there numerous times over the years and noticed that there is no night life to help encourage the young to move and open businesses. There was a very small pocket of upscale restaurants away from the center of town, but the rest of the town was dead. I found that very odd.
Towns do not have to have exciting night life to still be good places to live. We have seen nothing to indicate the town is going to hell in a hand bag. It is and will probably always be a tourist town. It doesn't have a lot of industry but this doesn't mean it is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas