U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 08:40 AM

375 posts, read 597,918 times

Advertisements

I have been reading a lot about Mountain Home for retirement. I like low cost and great fishing, and most of all it's not flat.
The only thing I dont like is the lack of diversity. Most people consider me "off white" but I grew up in Hawaii and it was much greater place to live thanks to the diversity. Here is Oregon where I am now, I feel like I am in a all white's club.

Even if you dont experience racism, not fitting in because your not the same is awful when your all alone.
It's like being the only adult in a room full of children or the other way around. They dont dislike you, but dont need to talk to you either.

Sorry about the above ramble, now to the crux of my question.

I am looking for advice from anyone who has visited or lived in Mountain Home and found another state that had the same kind of outdoor terrain (mountains, rivers, great fishing) but with more diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 10:54 AM

553 posts, read 131,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
I have been reading a lot about Mountain Home for retirement. I like low cost and great fishing, and most of all it's not flat.
The only thing I dont like is the lack of diversity. Most people consider me "off white" but I grew up in Hawaii and it was much greater place to live thanks to the diversity. Here is Oregon where I am now, I feel like I am in a all white's club.

Even if you dont experience racism, not fitting in because your not the same is awful when your all alone.
It's like being the only adult in a room full of children or the other way around. They dont dislike you, but dont need to talk to you either.

Sorry about the above ramble, now to the crux of my question.

I am looking for advice from anyone who has visited or lived in Mountain Home and found another state that had the same kind of outdoor terrain (mountains, rivers, great fishing) but with more diversity.
If you like Mountain Home's attributes but not that area's lack of diversity, you should look a bit West to NW Arkansas. The area has been a draw to people from all over the country and beyond. There is no lack of diversity there.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:11 AM
sub

1,336 posts, read 590,173 times
But NWA is nothing like Mountain Home. For diversity, a person would have to live in certain areas of NWA and they generally wouldn't be in the smaller, more laid back parts, and if you're not white, I'm not so sure I'd recommend those parts any more than I would Mountain Home. None of it may be bad, just not an improvement.
Perhaps Virginia, the Carolina's, or even Georgia? Texas hill country?
Personally, I'd just find another place out west.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:25 AM

375 posts, read 597,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
But NWA is nothing like Mountain Home. For diversity, a person would have to live in certain areas of NWA and they generally wouldn't be in the smaller, more laid back parts, and if you're not white, I'm not so sure I'd recommend those parts any more than I would Mountain Home. None of it may be bad, just not an improvement.
What is NWA?

Old 12-15-2019, 09:47 AM
sub

Northwest Arkansas.
All those towns along a 40 mile stretch of highway from about Fayetteville north to the Missouri state line.
It's sort-of suburbia with no big city, for better or worse.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:03 AM

5,453 posts, read 10,126,765 times
Check out Eureka Springs, AR. They even have a Diversity Festival:

https://www.eurekasprings.org/event/...ity-weekend-3/

Old 12-21-2019, 07:11 AM

73,819 posts, read 86,279,759 times
Quote:
Sub, this is really far from true: There are lots of smaller towns in NWA that also have a lot of diversity. I think you really need to spend more time in our area as you seem to have a somewhat old view of the region. There are towns like Pea Ridge for starters: small, offering what the OP would like and still near the city. There are minorities all over NWA now days. In fact more and more we see racially mixed families. Someone born in Hawaii would do quite well in the smaller communities here. AS for VA instead of AR, where would you be getting that idea. The parts of VA that would be totally open to non whites would be the middle and northern parts of the stare. Proper and COL is very high and the area are crowded. If you head really far west of south, there are lots of nice small towns but don't think for a second they are all open to minorities. As for the Texas hill country:NO< NO NO. Again diverse and certainly not inexpensive any more.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:01 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sub, this is really far from true: There are lots of smaller towns in NWA that also have a lot of diversity. I think you really need to spend more time in our area as you seem to have a somewhat old view of the region. There are towns like Pea Ridge for starters: small, offering what the OP would like and still near the city. There are minorities all over NWA now days. In fact more and more we see racially mixed families. Someone born in Hawaii would do quite well in the smaller communities here. AS for VA instead of AR, where would you be getting that idea. The parts of VA that would be totally open to non whites would be the middle and northern parts of the stare. Proper and COL is very high and the area are crowded. If you head really far west of south, there are lots of nice small towns but don't think for a second they are all open to minorities. As for the Texas hill country:NO< NO NO. Again diverse and certainly not inexpensive any more.
On a personal note, I honestly think they'd be just as well off in Mountain Home. Even it's kind of diverse these days. Some people I guess want higher percentages. That's what I was going on.
I also think that people obsess too much about this stuff when looking for a place to live. When that's the case, they should probably stick closer to larger cities regardless of what part of the country they're in. Maybe parts of the southwest or deep south would be good, but then there's a whole other set of problems for people who need "ideal".

Old 12-21-2019, 02:33 PM

3,043 posts, read 1,071,987 times
Quote:
On a personal note, I honestly think they'd be just as well off in Mountain Home. Even it's kind of diverse these days. Some people I guess want higher percentages. That's what I was going on.
I also think that people obsess too much about this stuff when looking for a place to live. When that's the case, they should probably stick closer to larger cities regardless of what part of the country they're in. Maybe parts of the southwest or deep south would be good, but then there's a whole other set of problems for people who need "ideal".
Seems to me the OP is overly concerned with the color of our skin.
My family gatherings look like they should be held in San Antonio,
and we don't have any problems, anywhere in N. AR.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:17 AM

73,819 posts, read 86,279,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Seems to me the OP is overly concerned with the color of our skin.
My family gatherings look like they should be held in San Antonio,
and we don't have any problems, anywhere in N. AR.
I totally agree and have seen these types of comments way to often here. People think their skin color will always be an issue. For most of us few people are judged by the color of their skin as long as they do not personally, make an issue out of skin color or any other diversity for that matter. Of course there are exceptions to all rules, but generally we are most accepting than we are given credit for. Our granddaughters friend at church gave her a baby shower when she had her 3rd daughter a few years ago. The gal is white, her husband is black and no one thinks much about it. We have a gay foster daughter who will be retiring in a few years. She and her partner, who now live in Poland plan to relocate here. They love the area, the cof and the only family they have happens to be us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas