U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2019, 01:47 PM

11 posts, read 7,334 times

Advertisements

Hi All, we are planning a trip down to MH in June this year and I am looking to see what folks think about staying at a place on Lake Norfork. We're active so looking at things like kayaking, biking, hiking, maybe some fishing etc We also want to float the Buffalo River down around Ponca one day, probably a day trip. Do ya'll have any recommendations for places we should visit or things we should do in the area? Last year we visited the Eureka Springs area and I for one fell in love with Arkansas and would like to move down there as soon as I can. In the meantime I want to explore the northern part of the state and find out which place feels like home. Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 02:17 PM

2,100 posts, read 1,433,333 times
Can't comment much on Lake Norfolk, but a float from Steel Creek to Kyles Landing is great although adventerous (rougher water, hair pin turns, etc). Many of the outfitters will have you start at Steel Creek rather than Ponca but they are only a mile apart. If you're looking for calmer float, maybe try Tyler Bend to Gilbert.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:06 AM

410 posts, read 955,446 times
Here is a link to Lake Norfork resorts.

https://www.norforklakechamber.com/m...c=2&cn=Resorts

If you want to stay in the buffalo/Jasper area for a night the Cliff House Inn has motel rooms at the restaurant and 3 nice cabins a mile south of there. I have not stayed in the rooms but have stayed in each one of the cabins and they are very nice. Excellent sunsets.

The Cliff House Inn, Restaurant, & Cabins overlooking the Arkansas Grand Canyon near Jasper, AR

You might not get over that far but if you go to Low Gap (near Ponca) be sure and try the Low Gap Café. They are closed Sun Mon Tue so plan accordly.

Low Gap Cafe | Menu

This is a beautiful area, we go once a year with friends and stay several days, so much to see and do. If you can come back in the fall you will not be disappointed.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:08 AM

229 posts, read 173,579 times
We have been down 3 times. We typically stay at Silver Run cabins south of Yellville. Your close to two float services at that location and within a few miles of the buffalo. We also hired a guide and fished the Bull Shoals White River tailwater for trout. Caught our limits every time.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:33 AM

410 posts, read 955,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
We have been down 3 times. We typically stay at Silver Run cabins south of Yellville. Your close to two float services at that location and within a few miles of the buffalo. We also hired a guide and fished the Bull Shoals White River tailwater for trout. Caught our limits every time.
Holy cow how did I forget the White river. If you want some good trout fishing and a fantastic restaurant you have check out PJs in Norfork, Ar. We stayed a couple of nights there in May and booked our guide through PJs. The guides work out of the trout dock in Norfolk and we did most of our full day trip fishing in the area where the Buffalo and White converge and what a shore lunch the guides prepared, fresh caught fried trout, fried potatoes with onions, beans and a salad. I would bet we caught 50-60 trout each but all we kept is what we ate on the river.

I just can't say enough how much I love this part of Arkansas, it's nice to be only three hours away!!!

https://www.pjslodge.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or