U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 11:22 AM

700 posts, read 626,283 times

Advertisements

honestly, i was a little surprised when we voted to legalize medicinal pot. but, with that in mind, i would answer the op's question with, "whenever it is put on the ballot."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 06:41 AM

73,653 posts, read 86,076,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
So is Arkansas going to legalize recreational marijuana anytime soon?
why do you care? do you live here or are you planning to move here when they legalize it? Right now, there are more important things in the world than smoking pot for heavens sake. We already have medical which is fine but part of the state does not even allow alcohol to be sold so I wouldn't look forward the legalizing pot in the near future.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
But if we voted to legalize medicinal pot, why wouldn’t there be a chance to add recreational?
( that was my thinking, when we voted in the medical)
They are 2 totally different things plus just look and see how hard it is or easy to even buy it for medical purposes. I don't mean it is hard to get it but it is expensive and you do have to have a medical reason. Many doctors still will not approve it. It doesn't need an prescription but my understanding is, you still have to have a doctors approval. I do not know all the details but I do know you can't just get it cause you hurt or have an upset tummy.

I think, to the OP you can forget it for the next 10 years or so unless it becomes legal through out the country and even then it won't be an easy sell

Last edited by nmnita; 12-21-2019 at 07:03 AM..

Old 12-21-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Oh my, how you brought back bittersweet memories!!

In 2005, Louisiana was devastated by 2 hurricanes. I spent some time in New Orleans doing search and rescue, body recovery, and went to Mississippi for a few days. Worked in a center collecting and sorting supplies near Waveland. Had to depart from Waveland when Rita was near the Florida Keys.

2 days later, I was with my family in Arkansas. My dad loved his beer. I remember going ride with him to go get beer in another county. Our relationship was rocky before. We had talked and after that we became close.

Just had to share that memory of my dad. Whenever I hear about a dry county, this memory comes to me.
And I too remember those days. My son and I drove across the country from Ca to VA in 1981 to join my husband who had taken a job in the DC area. I remember friend telling us to be sure and take a little extra wine in case we got to a southern state that did not sell alcohol. Of course I had heard of "dry counties" and the "blue laws" but never took them seriously. Well when we got to Texas and it was mid summer, had driven almost 10 hours that day and oh how I wanted a beer or a glass of wine. OUr son, asked where I could get one and the nice man at the burger place said, about 20 miles down the road was a wet county. I just decided to forget it. The next day we hit Mississippi and it was Sunday: Blue law, no wine, beer of anything. At this point all I could think was: why didn't I pay more attention to what my friends and co workers told me about drinking in the south?

Old 12-21-2019, 07:06 AM

729 posts, read 319,136 times
I really don't understand the stigma of marijuana. I hear argumentation about the reasons why it's illegal and why it should be legal. Most, if not all, of the people for prohibiting it has never consumed it, in any way. Be it smoking, edibles, gaping, tincture...so therefore most of their arguments are pretty one sided based on almost a century of prohibition.

The ones that are for it has done it in the past, and present. They know what are the effects, side effects that are involved with consumption.

Granted...each person has a different effect of marijuana.

It has been scientifically proven to help aid patients with disabilities and diseases. That's why 30 odd states have a medical marijuana program. Some programs are better than others. Say like Arkansas. Way better program than Louisiana. One of the reasons why we're looking into relocating to Arkansas from Louisiana.

We've been to states that has recreational marijuana. They DO have towns and municipalities that do not have marijuana stores and prohibit consumption. While there are people that consumed marijuana on the streets, they were discrete about it. They didn't push it in anyone either.

To me, the dry counties can enable the same protocols for marijuana. Travel to another county to purchase it.

I've also read that Eureka Springs and there was another city in the Northwest area of Arkansas that decriminalized marijuana. I wonder how is that working out...

On a personal note, I've consumed marijuana in smokable and edible forms. It helps me deal with the anxiety I suffer from, depression and helps me concentrate on what I'm doing. It helps me forget about my pain, I'm able to be more productive, play music, be more patient and talkative. Don't suffer writer blocks when I'm writhing in my journal. I even think that my wife and family are more happier to be around me when I partake. And I'm able to eat a good meal.

Many people would rather deal with stoners than stupid drunks that believe they're 10ft. Tall and bulletproof..

Old 12-21-2019, 08:20 AM

499 posts, read 221,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
But with a card and a script, you can possess and use pot in every county. Just saying.
What kind of card and script?

Old 12-21-2019, 08:30 AM

729 posts, read 319,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
What kind of card and script?
Medical Marijuana card. You can't get a script, only recommendation from a licensed MM doctor.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:55 AM

499 posts, read 221,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Medical Marijuana card. You can't get a script, only recommendation from a licensed MM doctor.
why isn't it legal? Make it legal get over it and move on. I hope it on the ballot this time.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:39 AM

700 posts, read 626,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
They are 2 totally different things plus just look and see how hard it is or easy to even buy it for medical purposes. I don't mean it is hard to get it but it is expensive and you do have to have a medical reason. Many doctors still will not approve it. It doesn't need an prescription but my understanding is, you still have to have a doctors approval. I do not know all the details but I do know you can't just get it cause you hurt or have an upset tummy.

I think, to the OP you can forget it for the next 10 years or so unless it becomes legal through out the country and even then it won't be an easy sell
So, you don’t think that all the people that voted for medical pot won’t support a vote for recreational? I think all those will support it plus a few more.

I don’t think getting a card is difficult at all.

While I am not going to get off topic about the pros and cons, the question was about recreational legalization. I would think a state with our history of passing medical the first time on the ballot, might just pass recreational.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:56 AM

888 posts, read 514,581 times
I don't have a dog in this fight because I never smoked in my life, albeit I am a moderate drinker such as red wine with dinner or beer with barbecue, but not when I need to drive afterwards.

The arguments we hear for it is that it helps reduce pain and suffering.

The arguments against are that marijuana could be the very first step to a serious drug addiction, ending in addicted to meth.

A large percentage of deadly car accidents here (after texting) are caused by drunken driving or under the influence of narcotics.
Drunks cause accidents for sure, but 90% of violent attacks on police or innocent bystanders, like invading a home buck naked with an ax are committed by men on meth.

Beer / wine/ whiskey = drunken man kills with his truck.
Marijuana/ heroin/ cocaine/ crystal meth= man attacks shoppers with a machete.

These are different outcomes, both deadly, the first is a major accident, the second is a desire to do harm under the influence of narcotics.

I don't care what others put in their mouth UNLESS it is a threat to me or my family.

As I posted before, here in N. California marijuana is legal, it is all over, but still a huge percentage of the violent crime is tied to the marijuana trade.

Last edited by mgforshort; 12-21-2019 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or