U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 07:55 PM

5,348 posts, read 4,523,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
Or they just want to get high.

I don't know why, but when I tried it in college it NEVER MADE ME HIGH. I've had dental surgery that required medication that made me "high" for a time, so I think I know what it feels like. But I never once felt any affect whatsoever from it.

Later, in my early 50s, medical marijuana was prescribed for my chronic, severe insomnia - and it still has NEVER ONCE made me high. The first time I used it, I did notice a slight difference in mental/emotional state, so I could say it was doing something. But after that time, I could see no noticeable affect. I couldn't tell if I'd taken it or not.

So will someone explain this to me? Do you have to take it in extreme amounts? Do you have to take it in extreme amounts for long periods of time?

I really don't see how this drug is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 05:54 AM

74,070 posts, read 86,472,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I don't know why, but when I tried it in college it NEVER MADE ME HIGH. I've had dental surgery that required medication that made me "high" for a time, so I think I know what it feels like. But I never once felt any affect whatsoever from it.

Later, in my early 50s, medical marijuana was prescribed for my chronic, severe insomnia - and it still has NEVER ONCE made me high. The first time I used it, I did notice a slight difference in mental/emotional state, so I could say it was doing something. But after that time, I could see no noticeable affect. I couldn't tell if I'd taken it or not.

So will someone explain this to me? Do you have to take it in extreme amounts? Do you have to take it in extreme amounts for long periods of time?

I really don't see how this drug is a problem.
First of all, not everyone reacts the same to any drug: I would think being you are middle age you would know this, but I guess that isn't the point: the point is more, how does it affect most people and no, if prescribed by a doctor the dosage is more controlled. OH, and while we are talking about it, the OP never asked why it isn't legal, he asked when it would be legal.

I am one of those that can handle more liquor than the average person, but that doesn't mean: 1-it is good for my health and 2 I should consume all I want cause it doesn't seem to affect my thinking or my actions.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:55 AM

3,063 posts, read 1,081,986 times
My experience with some former friends who used it, was that it removed their ability to perceive how it was affecting them. I could see the effect, but the couldn't, and later they were still unable to understand that they had been affected. In at least one case, how they were behaving when under its influence is why we could no longer be friends. (My take away on that, is that they were addicted, and gave me up, instead of the pot.)

Old 01-08-2020, 03:23 PM

507 posts, read 229,949 times
Sooner the better.

Old Today, 09:51 AM

706 posts, read 633,362 times
the top two stories in today's "arkansas business morning roundup" are about marijuana in arkansas.

the top story is about a news conference at the capitol, this am, to urge voters not to sign petitions to put recreational marijuana on the ballot.

the second story is about the marijuana commission approving a 5th dispensary license in southeast arkansas.

they are both behind a paywall, so i did not link it. but, if you do have a script to their website, it is two interesting reads. i did see the state paper had an article about the seark dispensary this am also. (behind a paywall too)

Old Today, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the info. I do not see legalizing it for many years. There may not be anything wrong with using it for medicinal reasons, but no way is AR ready to legalize it for recreational use. Heck we still have dry counties.

Old Today, 10:26 AM

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG aren't you getting a little technical about all this? Most people do not have the money to fight the issue and if all drugs are legal why would anyone need to hire a lawyer? No, legalizing all drugs is not practical or acceptable. You can think what you want and use what you want but most of us do not care to see all drugs legal for recreational purposes. Medical reasons are a totally different thing.

You mention more people are killed by alcohol use than other drugs: of course, that is because more people use alcohol than drugs, especially illegal drugs and what do you want to bet, more crimes are committed by people who are high on drugs than are drunk?
How do you know which drugs people use? If you were street smart you would know that many people use lots of different drugs to get high. Marijuana used recreationally is still depicted as a threat by ignorant people. Certainly don’t forget about the pharmaceutical industry that has flourished from many they should be jailed for dispensing like candy while pleading ignorance.

Old Today, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45needshung View Post
How do you know which drugs people use? If you were street smart you would know that many people use lots of different drugs to get high. Marijuana used recreationally is still depicted as a threat by ignorant people. Certainly don’t forget about the pharmaceutical industry that has flourished from many they should be jailed for dispensing like candy while pleading ignorance.
OMG you are making no sense what so ever. Who ever claimed we know what drugs are being used and by whom? I see you are a new poster, welcome. You obviously believe in the right to smoke pot and maybe use of other drugs as well. That is your right; it is the American way. Don't get so upset though with those of us who disagree with you on the issue. I may not be totally street smart but I am probably smarter than you realize. I have known people who have used pot, have use pills, and have used most all drugs. Most of us have known people like this, within our family or our surroundings. The fact remains, like it or not, the use of pot for recreation is not going to become law in AR for quite awhile.

Last edited by nmnita; Today at 01:21 PM..

Old Today, 01:47 PM

3,063 posts, read 1,081,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG you are making no sense what so ever...
Apparently, he is using some of those recreational drugs.

I used to hear the same arguments for alcohol, in a small town just SW of Ft Hood. My argument was that the young soldiers, which the army provided a continuous supply of, were not a good mix with alcohol. Let the city on the other side of the Fort deal with it, since they had been "wet" for several decades (their crime rate was about 8 times ours).

I lived in a simi-dry town at the time. (There were certain clubs that could serve beer.) Not long after 5th Infantry moved from Ft Polk to Ft Hood, there were pressures for the town (several miles West of Ft Hood) to go wet. Eventually, in stages, they did go wet. Took about 10 years.

By the time I left, about 15 years after they had lots of alcohol flowing, the crime rate had risen 900%, and gang activity, formerly a problem for a nearby city, was on the rise, also. Yep, making alcohol legal had great results.

I predict a similar future for AR. We need to resist the stupid. Maybe they will eventually win, and we will all be worse off for it. Just a sign of the times. But we need to resist the stupid.

Old Today, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Apparently, he is using some of those recreational drugs.

I used to hear the same arguments for alcohol, in a small town just SW of Ft Hood. My argument was that the young soldiers, which the army provided a continuous supply of, were not a good mix with alcohol. Let the city on the other side of the Fort deal with it, since they had been "wet" for several decades (their crime rate was about 8 times ours).

I lived in a simi-dry town at the time. (There were certain clubs that could serve beer.) Not long after 5th Infantry moved from Ft Polk to Ft Hood, there were pressures for the town (several miles West of Ft Hood) to go wet. Eventually, in stages, they did go wet. Took about 10 years.

By the time I left, about 15 years after they had lots of alcohol flowing, the crime rate had risen 900%, and gang activity, formerly a problem for a nearby city, was on the rise, also. Yep, making alcohol legal had great results.

I predict a similar future for AR. We need to resist the stupid. Maybe they will eventually win, and we will all be worse off for it. Just a sign of the times. But we need to resist the stupid.
I would be a hypocrite if I said all drugs are bad, as I do enjoy my wine and I used to smoke. That being, I thought the same as you about the recreational drugs. For those who are so bound and determined to legalize even pot, all they have to do is look at what is happening in CA and what Colo is now like..

Even if so many think legalizing pot would be a good thing, the fact still remains, it isn't going to happen in AR for quite a while in my opinion.. As I mentioned, if we still have dry counties and cities certainly legalizing pot is not in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or