U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 05:47 PM

5 posts, read 521 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering checking out Bella Vista as a place to retire. We were all set to fly out in May or June but i starting reading that they allow hunting on public property in Bella Vista. We are animal lovers and this is a concern. Any feedback would be appreciated. How prevalent is hunting in this area. I understand hunting is a popular sport but I do not want to see it in my daily life. we love to be outdoors with nature so hunting in the area would be a problem for us. If this is something that exists would Bentonville be an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 08:25 AM

3,031 posts, read 1,065,226 times
Hunting is really big here in AR, and the area around and just South of Bella Vista and Bentonville is pretty good hunting grounds. I am sure you will find plenty of hunting anywhere near there.

You might want to consider moving to IL or NM.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:35 PM

229 posts, read 173,967 times
I would suggest settling into a more developed urban area if you're that offended at the possibility of encountering hunters. I'm not sure there is anywhere in AR where you can escape the possibility of seeing a deer in the bed of a pickup in season. Even Illinois is not a safe bet unless your in Chicago or the burbs.

Old 01-01-2020, 08:13 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,434,958 times
I'm not sure why you're concerned about this. Do you think deer will be hunted out of your front door? That's not how it will be and at most, you may see hunters with their orange on in the area. Hunting may be taking place in public forest lands but you won't see anything actually being killed.

Old 01-02-2020, 05:57 AM

5 posts, read 521 times
Thanks for your responses. I think we over reacted to something we read. Anytime you venture out of suburbia to a place where there are deer you will encounter hunting. That's just something we will need to deal with if we want to move away from Southern California. Not many deer wandering around the freeways around here.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:44 AM

73,666 posts, read 86,100,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpatrick View Post
Thanks for your responses. I think we over reacted to something we read. Anytime you venture out of suburbia to a place where there are deer you will encounter hunting. That's just something we will need to deal with if we want to move away from Southern California. Not many deer wandering around the freeways around here.
Well there are lots of deer wandering around BV and I have yet to see one shot. You do, unfortunately see them dead by the side of the road from time to time. Most of us love watching them eating grass in our own back yards. One late afternoon last spring we saw 7 in our yard at once. Rather that worry about seeing them shot at random, you may want to worry about hitting one. When there is one running across the street there may be an entire family of them following that one. We know a lot of people living in BV that are avid hunters and yet, not a one of them would wander around hunting deer here in the city. I think you are right, you may have over reacted. Probably what you read came from someone or some organization that had an agenda to push.

Good luck with your house hunting.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:24 AM

5 posts, read 521 times
I think your right about the agenda. My mother in law used to live in Lancaster County Pennsylvania and deer getting hit by cars was a major problem. Looking forward to visiting the Bella Vista area soon.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpatrick View Post
I think your right about the agenda. My mother in law used to live in Lancaster County Pennsylvania and deer getting hit by cars was a major problem. Looking forward to visiting the Bella Vista area soon.
Used to live in the DC area and whenever we headed north to visit friends or for other reasons we would drve through Lancaster county, absolutely loved the place.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:25 PM

10,968 posts, read 8,391,769 times
We love NW AR, retired in Fayetteville, were flabbergasted to discover that bow hunting deer is allowed in Bella Vista as close to 50 yards from homes, buildings, trails, & public grounds.

That's well under the range of proficient and wannabe proficient hunters.:shocked

edit to add: I'm all in favor of bow hunting, especially as a tool in controlling deer over-population. My brother and many inlaws do so. That said, it's not something that should be allowed within target range (60-100 yards) of human population. I would never live in a place that considered 50 yards a safe range.

Last edited by biscuitmom; Yesterday at 12:25 AM..

Old Yesterday, 05:41 AM

Do remember there is a hunting season so this isn't something that occurs regularly and as I have said earlier we have never known anyone here who would even consider hunting locally. they all choose to hunt away from our community. I am sure there are some who do hunt near their home but no one we know nor have we heard anything about this from anyone or any source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas