Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 11:03 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,688,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
I live in a state that I can go fishing every day of the year and not see a single chigger nor tick nor snake.
And you think a few chiggers every time I come home from fishing is OK by you? I guess a chigger must be something minor like a mosquito bite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eNbFr0q0mU

Too bad that guy doesn't know that the chiggers are already gone by that point. He just needs to find something that treats itching. Tea tree oil worked for a man I knew that was positively "allergic" to chigger bites (made really bad, long-lasting sores on him). Cortisone cream may work for others. No need to try to "smother" or in any way "kill" them once they've started to itch...the chiggers have most likely dropped off already anyway, and at any rate, the damage is already done...the itching is the body's reaction to the chiggers' saliva.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 11:57 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Too bad that guy doesn't know that the chiggers are already gone by that point. He just needs to find something that treats itching. Tea tree oil worked for a man I knew that was positively "allergic" to chigger bites (made really bad, long-lasting sores on him). Cortisone cream may work for others. No need to try to "smother" or in any way "kill" them once they've started to itch...the chiggers have most likely dropped off already anyway, and at any rate, the damage is already done...the itching is the body's reaction to the chiggers' saliva.
This is very true; they are not loyal to one person so will leave and find another home very quickly. I will add, they do not bite everyone. An example: in our family there are only about 3 who are bothered by them. Those 3 always use "off" or something similar in the late spring and first month or so of summer.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:02 AM

8,594 posts, read 4,417,845 times
Mosquitoes need standing water to breed, so you don't see too many where the river is running, but when it encounters flat land, they can get very annoying. I live on a mountain side and the only standing water is a rut in one of my neighbor's driveways, and a little flower garden in another neighbors yard. All summer last year I averaged about one mosquito a week.

Around home, ticks and chiggers are a nuisance that I deal with by spraying Permethrin everywhere on my property that I walk. Most of the fishermen around here use it on their clothing, and some use Deet on their skin.

Snakes are common. Poisonous snakes are very, very rare (environmentalist whackoes are trying to increase their numbers, without much success). So far, I know of one copperhead bite in Baxter County, and one copperhead spotted in Izard county(not in the same year, and I think the chickens ate it). Other than that, it is garden snakes (aka garter snakes, mostly), and they are mostly looking for bugs to eat.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Mosquitoes need standing water to breed, so you don't see too many where the river is running, but when it encounters flat land, they can get very annoying. I live on a mountain side and the only standing water is a rut in one of my neighbor's driveways, and a little flower garden in another neighbors yard. All summer last year I averaged about one mosquito a week.

Around home, ticks and chiggers are a nuisance that I deal with by spraying Permethrin everywhere on my property that I walk. Most of the fishermen around here use it on their clothing, and some use Deet on their skin.

Snakes are common. Poisonous snakes are very, very rare (environmentalist whackoes are trying to increase their numbers, without much success). So far, I know of one copperhead bite in Baxter County, and one copperhead spotted in Izard county(not in the same year, and I think the chickens ate it). Other than that, it is garden snakes (aka garter snakes, mostly), and they are mostly looking for bugs to eat.
We rarely see mosquitoes, like you maybe a few in the summer. We have lived places where they have been worse. As for Copperheads, we did find a baby in our insect trap about 10 years ago. I do remember thinking "if there is a baby mommy must be somewhere" Never saw mommy so guess she just deserted her baby. We do see black snakes quite often, but they are our friends. we also see a few really pretty blue snakes, not poisonous and not very big. We had a lot more snake problems living in So Ca than here.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:59 PM

41,940 posts, read 36,703,214 times
Snakes aren't a "problem" anywhere.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:19 AM

827 posts, read 646,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Snakes aren't a "problem" anywhere.
I don't know why people freak out over snakes. . I would rather have snakes than ticks and chiggers

Old 01-07-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
I don't know why people freak out over snakes. . I would rather have snakes than ticks and chiggers
Think it has to do with: chiggers don't really do much harm, just leave a lot of itching for some and ticks rarely do damage unless you get lime disease or tick fever. Most snakes are harmless but for many it is hard to tell the difference between a good and a bad snake.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:52 PM

25 posts, read 26,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We rarely see mosquitoes, like you maybe a few in the summer.

That's good to hear! That's the one major drawback we are fighting against as we think about moving to NWA. Here in N Idaho the dry summers are incredible and we hate the "idea" of moving back to a humid area. We picture ticks and mosquitos swarming us everytime we stick our head outside to go for a walk or hike.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:04 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,664,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf335 View Post
That's good to hear! That's the one major drawback we are fighting against as we think about moving to NWA. Here in N Idaho the dry summers are incredible and we hate the "idea" of moving back to a humid area. We picture ticks and mosquitos swarming us everytime we stick our head outside to go for a walk or hike.
Don’t live in the country for starters. Live in a somewhat good-sized town.
Like anywhere else, people who claim to have fewer problems live in cities or otherwise populated areas.
Make no mistake: the Ozarks are very buggy to say the least.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:11 PM

8,594 posts, read 4,417,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
... ticks rarely do damage unless you get lime disease or tick fever.
Ticks are the real reason I spray all of the areas of my property where I walk (that is a little less than half an acre). Getting rid of chiggers and a few other nuisance insects is a plus.

I have read that ticks account for 77% of the insect borne illnesses in this country.

I got a few dozen ticks before I got them under control, but now I generally only use repellent if I am going anywhere outside of my "controlled" zone.

One of the people on this forum told me the humidity is less where they live, since they are further up the mountains than I am (I am around 700 feet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas