Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 07:31 AM

440 posts, read 771,113 times

Advertisements

Doing research on Mountain home Arkansas as a possible place to retire ( love to river fish)
Coming from Oregon, I dont need to worry about things like bugs or snakes west of the cascade mountains where I live. We also dont have a major mosquito problem either.

How bad is the bug / snake problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 07:39 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,664,648 times
Worse than Oregon for sure. Ticks, chiggers, and snakes are common. Mosquitos can be bad depending on specific situation. We lived near that area and mosquitos were really bad. Couldn't hardly stand to sit out on the porch for any length of time.
But, people find ways to deal with it. If you're looking to retire anywhere in the east, it will likely be the similar.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:39 AM

155 posts, read 135,130 times
Good question. Sorry, I don't know the answer but I do have a question for you. Why leave Oregon? I have recently become enthralled with the idea of Oregon and will hopefully visit this year. I live in Massachusetts now and do not love it.

Old 01-03-2020, 07:42 AM

If I were to take a trip to the white river and bank fish all day would I get a tick or chigger on me or see a snake? if so, how often would this happen?

Old 01-03-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysky View Post
Good question. Sorry, I don't know the answer but I do have a question for you. Why leave Oregon? I have recently become enthralled with the idea of Oregon and will hopefully visit this year. I live in Massachusetts now and do not love it.
My retirement wont afford it. I would like to reduce my monthly expenditure by half. Plus I would like to live somewhere different. Coming from Hawaii to Oregon and in a few years possible Mountain Home I feel like i'm making bad choices. But hey, if I was rich I wouldn't have to make them.

My goal is to retire where the cost of living (especially homes) are much less but also be near a good fishing river.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:00 AM
sub

Mountain Home will be cheaper, but if you spend a lot of time outdoors, you WILL encounter bugs and snakes.
For bugs, people use body spray deterrent of the brand of their choice. Snakes generally aren't a problem. They generally scurry away or sit still till you've passed. They probably don't want trouble any more than you.
Like I said, all this is common regardless of where you move to east of the Rockies. It irritates me because I can't afford it any better than anyone else, but there are reasons people pay top dollar to live in certain places.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:13 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,617,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
If I were to take a trip to the white river and bank fish all day would I get a tick or chigger on me or see a snake? if so, how often would this happen?

Really depends on the time of year, in the warmer months (April to early October), you'll have bugs, more so in taller grass and brush. There is a spray you can put on your clothes and a different one for skin that will protect you. Snakes is something you will come across rarely or at least depending on where you are. If you are in shorter grass (like mowed grass), you really won't have that problem.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:42 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
we live in NWA and yes, there are bugs and snakes but not as bad as some would leave you to believe. We have lived in places where snakes are a lot worse than here. Chiggers are not a serious problem unless you they decide they love you. If this is the case, just spray "Off" or "Deet" before you go outside. Ticks do the same and check when you return home from your fishing trips. As for snakes, you will find them in the state, regardless as to where you live but most you see are harmful. We have found chiggers seem to be the worst from about May until mid summer, not even in the fall. My husband is the best friend of many chiggers and they drive him nuts. I would not let the fear of these creatures keep you from, at least checking out Mountain Home.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
we live in NWA and yes, there are bugs and snakes but not as bad as some would leave you to believe. We have lived in places where snakes are a lot worse than here. Chiggers are not a serious problem unless you they decide they love you. If this is the case, just spray "Off" or "Deet" before you go outside. Ticks do the same and check when you return home from your fishing trips. As for snakes, you will find them in the state, regardless as to where you live but most you see are harmful. We have found chiggers seem to be the worst from about May until mid summer, not even in the fall. My husband is the best friend of many chiggers and they drive him nuts. I would not let the fear of these creatures keep you from, at least checking out Mountain Home.
I live in a state that I can go fishing every day of the year and not see a single chigger nor tick nor snake.
And you think a few chiggers every time I come home from fishing is OK by you? I guess a chigger must be something minor like a mosquito bite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eNbFr0q0mU

Old 01-04-2020, 08:58 AM
sub

Like a mosquito, but they are smaller and bite all around your feet and ankles. It's just as itchy and possibly more annoying.
If you spend a lot of time on the river fishing, you'll absolutely encounter snakes from time to time but it's not going to be some horror-movie style attack. They most likely won't bother you.
There are sprays out there that work quite well as a deterrent for bugs. We've even found some natural sprays to work just fine.
It's probably no worse than the desert where sunscreen is a must for many of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas