U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 06:08 AM

233 posts, read 175,248 times

Advertisements

I've never seen any kind of outboard besides a prop. You can wade parts of it on minimum flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 39 times
The White River is quite tame. It gets a little faster when they are releasing water from the dams, but I can't remember seeing any part of it any time where I would not be comfortable having a novice or even a somewhat experienced child in the boat with me. In fact, most of the river, most of the time, is safe for a novice alone.

Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

375 posts, read 597,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I see boats with outboards around here, all the time, and can't remember the last time I saw a jet boat.
Would it be safe to say that most of the year you can use any boat to get around the river?

Our rivers here in Oregon it is very difficult to navigate without a super shallow draft boat with a jet drive or you will hit the rocks. That is why they end up having to use a drift boat. and with a drift boat they cant really go back upstream. forcing them to have to take out and put in in two different area of the river.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

What about the lake that feeds the white river? is there anything to know about it? good fishing? safe to navigate?

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

3,043 posts, read 1,071,987 times
Other that right after some massive rainfalls, both the river and the lake are good for most boats of the Ranger Boat size, but unless you are intimately familiar with the water you are on, you need to keep your speed down, as there are a few shallow places. Usually you can spot them in the river by noticing the riffles on the surface, and just drive around them.

The lake is several fathoms deep, so you could run a sail boat out there, if you wish, or just about any other boat you want.

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

Not sure which lake you are talking about. There are two (Bull Shoals and Norfork). Both tailwaters discharge into the White. I have only fished Bull Shoals and the BS tailwater. What TRex says is spot on about BS. When the dam is running minimum flow, the water is low. Still fishable, but low. This is when you can sacrifice a prop to the river gods. I find the BS tailwater one of the most beautiful spots I have ever fished. Never left without my rainbow limits either.

Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
Not sure which lake you are talking about. There are two (Bull Shoals and Norfork). Both tailwaters discharge into the White. I have only fished Bull Shoals and the BS tailwater. What TRex says is spot on about BS. When the dam is running minimum flow, the water is low. Still fishable, but low. This is when you can sacrifice a prop to the river gods. I find the BS tailwater one of the most beautiful spots I have ever fished. Never left without my rainbow limits either.
What part of the lake is the tailwater?

Old Today, 12:52 AM

3,043 posts, read 1,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
What part of the lake is the tailwater?
That is what the water leaving the dam is called.

Old Today, 06:44 AM

Ahh, kinda what I thought but changed my mind when I realized the tailwater would technically no longer be the Bull shoals. At that point it would be the White river.

Anyway, I am a river fisherman for sure, but like the option of having a lake as well. Whats the fishing like in Bull Shoals? any large Stripper Bass? Or some other big fishy?

Old Today, 04:57 PM

I have not spent enough time on Bull Shoals to give fishing advice. with over 1000 miles of shorline, I'm sure you can find some fish. I would expect Norfork to be as good or better. I could spend the rest of my days exploring that lake and the creek inlets and not get to all of it. I read more about stripers in Norfork than Bull Shoals. Whenever I visit, I hire a guide. I find it more cost effective than dragging a boat with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or