Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 05:37 PM

440 posts, read 776,648 times

Advertisements

I am doing research about a possible move to Mountain Home when I retire and was wondering how is this river. Do you need a drift boat and just float downstream or can you return to the same boat ramp you launched from with a regular boat or jet drive?
If I understand this river from a fishing forum you need to watch how many generators are running and if its to much or to little you will probably wreck your boat.

The only reason I am looking into moving to Mountain Home is for the fishing, I am a avid fly fisherman but also like to throw hardware. Here In Oregon, I fish for much larger trout than you guys got.
Our trouts are called Steelhead and they head out to sea and come back to spawn. they get pretty darn big
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 06:01 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"Here In Oregon I fish for much larger trout than you guys got." Don't count on it ...look up record brown trout on the white river.
The White River is just what you are looking for...just leave your west coast mine is bigger-n-yours attitude behind. An Oregon style drift boat will work when they are not releasing water from the dam, other than that, you'll need a motor to get back to the starting point, not a jet drive....or just pull out down stream. There are plenty of trout outfitters working the White River, book a couple of trips to get the feel for the river. When (if) you tire of trout on the White, float the Buffalo and fly fish for smallmouth bass.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-08-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Here In Oregon I fish for much larger trout than you guys got." Don't count on it ...look up record brown trout on the white river.
The White River is just what you are looking for...just leave your west coast mine is bigger-n-yours attitude behind. An Oregon style drift boat will work when they are not releasing water from the dam, other than that, you'll need a motor to get back to the starting point, not a jet drive....or just pull out down stream. When (if) you tire of trout on the White, float the Buffalo and fly fish for bass.

Regards
Gemstone1
LOL Gem, you sure that was a trout in the link you sent? that THING was gigantic. Most trout here are tiny 1 and 2 pounders while our steelhead are over 10. Heck I caught a 18 pounder just 2 weekends ago.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:10 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
"Most trout here are tiny 1 and 2 pounders"....I know, I've fished the Willamette around Westfir/Oakridge.

There is no comparing the Cascades to the Ozarks....Cascades, hands down.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-09-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Most trout here are tiny 1 and 2 pounders"....I know, I've fished the Willamette around Westfir/Oakridge.

There is no comparing the Cascades to the Ozarks....Cascades, hands down.

Regards
Gemstone1
Hi Gem, I'm not 100% sure I understood your message.
I read it as, you fished our Willamette river and know we have 1 and 2 pound trout.
But then go on to say that in a comparing the Cascades to the Ozarks, are you referring to the size of the mountains ranges?

I dont normally fish for trout. The river I fish here in Oregon I am looking for Steelhead and sometimes Salmon. My boss on the other hand only fishes for trout. He has to drive 3 hrs either east or west to find a good trout river and the fish are usually 1 ft long on average I would guess.

The link you posted of the giant trout was incredible for sure, but aren't most trout in the 1 ft range?

Old 01-10-2020, 05:00 PM

383 posts, read 399,557 times
The White could be costly when running minimum flow if your not familiar with the terrain due to bottoming the prop. Once you get used to it, a non issue.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:36 PM

Is there a need for a jet drive on this river? Or do most folks just use a regular propeller.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:31 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
I've never been to Arkansas, not yet, but I had seen videos on youtube of that White River. I was willing and able to go kayaking here in California on the Feather or on the Sacramento rivers. But I'd be scared sh**less to attempt a trip on the White river, especially in my age.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:58 AM

490 posts, read 1,265,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Is there a need for a jet drive on this river? Or do most folks just use a regular propeller.
Last year our guides out of Norfork trout dock had propeller outboards. We went in September and fished between Norfork and the Buffalo River confluence. Had a blast and a fabulous shore lunch of freshly caught trout, fried potatoes and a salad. Between the two of us in our boat we probably caught 50-60 trout, mostly 1-2 pound size, all rainbows.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:16 PM

8,923 posts, read 4,632,086 times
I see boats with outboards around here, all the time, and can't remember the last time I saw a jet boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas