U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2020, 03:21 PM
sub
 
Location: Up North
1,414 posts, read 613,991 times
Reputation: 2118

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well if nothing else your idea is certainly a new one and a very unusual one. Sure, you are going to take an employee out of the work force, expect them to give up a good living or expect their employer to hold their job while they go to DC, live in a cheap motel designed for congress elected representatives while asking the airlines to save seats for them with a big discount involved. Come on, think this through, there is not one part of that plan that it workable. As for spending time in the state, they do: do you have any idea where they are during much of the recess time they take? Many spend it in their home district or part of it anyway. e
I'm sure a lot of them could work remotely. Making the seemingly impossible come together and work is a reality for a lot of us, partly because of the mess these people create, so let them figure it out.
I'm sure a local temp agency could keep them busy at a factory while not in session.
These people who want to pass laws for us need to know what the real world looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2020, 03:36 PM
 
328 posts, read 66,968 times
Reputation: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Certainly not true: My husband did PR for politicians.In fact for one of the best presidents we have ever had. There are many good politicians nay bigger egos than most of us, but they are not all bad nor do they all want your money. There are many good guys and gals on both sides and they attempt to do what they think is best for you, me and our country. They have no desire to rule others. They have ideas that they hope will help. Of course there are a few A Hs but most do want to make a difference.

I have to wonder where you are getting such an ugly picture of those who serve our country and our communities. Would you rather live in a country with no one ruling and no laws, programs and no one controlling what is going on?
I would love to know who you think that was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 03:41 PM
 
40,719 posts, read 25,159,618 times
Reputation: 13042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
No, they are slowly working to take away those rights. It's a fact, not an opinion. You have to know what is happening in Virginia, so how you can stand by what you say.
It's not a FACT. It is your opinion. We each of us come to our political positions based on our experience of the world. Each person's experiences, each person's personality and methods of coping, are unique. So the positions we take, and the reasons for those positions, is unique. We then align ourselves with groups that we feel matches the vision we have of the future. Your 2nd Amendment rights are safe. The Bill of Rights is a bedrock document for American jurisprudence. Plus, disarming Americans is a logistical impossibility. The decision of whether we would be an armed citizenry or not was made 250 years ago, and it can't be undone.

That said, it is reasonable for the government to pass laws making it illegal for some felons to have guns. Protecting the public is one of the responsibilities of government. It is reasonable for the government to have a system in place to check if someone is a felon who is trying to purchase a weapon. It is reasonable for the government to check backgrounds for mental illness which could result in a person behaving violently.

I don't have a solution to gun violence. It will happen, again and again and again. Someone who is determined to harm others will find a way to do so. But that doesn't mean that I would support someone who is psychotic and has a history of violence being allowed to purchase a gun.

We have laws against libel and slander. We have laws against robbery and assault. We don't have unlimited freedom in this country, because people get involved in conflicts, and there is a need to balance the freedoms of one person against another. Virginia's proposed red flag law may be an intrusion on your freedom, and I know from your posts that you are a very responsible person and I understand your discomfort with your right to bear arms being denied because someone raises a red flag. As I understand it, though, the red flag law requires a stringent assessment of the risk, and there is legal remedy to the red flag.

I don't think it is fair to condemn all liberals as one thing, or all conservatives for that matter. There is a breathtaking range of political positions within either group, and a plethora of issues for people to take a position on. Added to that, we all prioritize the issues differently. The 2nd Amendment is not as important to me as it is to you. I don't hunt, I cannot shoot, I don't own a gun. But I have brothers that do. So my perspective is different than yours. But a different perspective doesn't mean I love this country any less than you, or that I don't support the Constitution fully and comprehensively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 03:44 PM
 
328 posts, read 66,968 times
Reputation: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Democrats and liberals love this country and venerate the Constitution of the United States. Period.
If they did, they wouldn't want to fundamentally change it. They wouldn't want to rewrite the Constitution. They wouldn't feel the Constitution is a living document that should be changed just because they don't like some of the protections it provides the citizens. They wouldn't want to open our borders to undocumented illegal immigrants. They wouldn't want to change our system to socialized medicine, education or anything else. They wouldn't support undermining a president just because they didn't like him. They would insist their leaders work for positive change instead of pushing hate filled envy based on economic class, race and religion.

Nope, they hate our country and want to destroy it and replace it with an impossible communistic utopia based on the fantasies of naive youth educated in an education system built to support those that want to destroy the United States of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
2,131 posts, read 1,451,945 times
Reputation: 3987
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's not a FACT. It is your opinion. We each of us come to our political positions based on our experience of the world. Each person's experiences, each person's personality and methods of coping, are unique. So the positions we take, and the reasons for those positions, is unique. We then align ourselves with groups that we feel matches the vision we have of the future. Your 2nd Amendment rights are safe. The Bill of Rights is a bedrock document for American jurisprudence. Plus, disarming Americans is a logistical impossibility. The decision of whether we would be an armed citizenry or not was made 250 years ago, and it can't be undone.

That said, it is reasonable for the government to pass laws making it illegal for some felons to have guns. Protecting the public is one of the responsibilities of government. It is reasonable for the government to have a system in place to check if someone is a felon who is trying to purchase a weapon. It is reasonable for the government to check backgrounds for mental illness which could result in a person behaving violently.

I don't have a solution to gun violence. It will happen, again and again and again. Someone who is determined to harm others will find a way to do so. But that doesn't mean that I would support someone who is psychotic and has a history of violence being allowed to purchase a gun.

We have laws against libel and slander. We have laws against robbery and assault. We don't have unlimited freedom in this country, because people get involved in conflicts, and there is a need to balance the freedoms of one person against another. Virginia's proposed red flag law may be an intrusion on your freedom, and I know from your posts that you are a very responsible person and I understand your discomfort with your right to bear arms being denied because someone raises a red flag. As I understand it, though, the red flag law requires a stringent assessment of the risk, and there is legal remedy to the red flag.

I don't think it is fair to condemn all liberals as one thing, or all conservatives for that matter. There is a breathtaking range of political positions within either group, and a plethora of issues for people to take a position on. Added to that, we all prioritize the issues differently. The 2nd Amendment is not as important to me as it is to you. I don't hunt, I cannot shoot, I don't own a gun. But I have brothers that do. So my perspective is different than yours. But a different perspective doesn't mean I love this country any less than you, or that I don't support the Constitution fully and comprehensively.

Just like most of democrats, you keep promising you're not coming for our guns, but yet little by little, you're doing just that. Virginia is a test. This is not about felons owning guns. Obviously you have no idea what's going on. Don't tell me my 2A rights are safe while you support a side that is attempting to infringe on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 03:51 PM
 
Location: SE corner of the Ozark Redoubt
3,062 posts, read 1,081,123 times
Reputation: 3108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
No, they are slowly working to take away those rights. It's a fact, not an opinion. You have to know what is happening in Virginia, so how you can stand by what you say.
Hosea 4:17
Those who have understanding will know what I am saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 03:52 PM
 
40,719 posts, read 25,159,618 times
Reputation: 13042
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
If they did, they wouldn't want to fundamentally change it. They wouldn't want to rewrite the Constitution. They wouldn't feel the Constitution is a living document that should be changed just because they don't like some of the protections it provides the citizens. They wouldn't want to open our borders to undocumented illegal immigrants. They wouldn't want to change our system to socialized medicine, education or anything else. They wouldn't support undermining a president just because they didn't like him. They would insist their leaders work for positive change instead of pushing hate filled envy based on economic class, race and religion.

Nope, they hate our country and want to destroy it and replace it with an impossible communistic utopia based on the fantasies of naive youth educated in an education system built to support those that want to destroy the United States of America.
I'm sorry you feel that way. Rest assured, I, as a liberal, love our country. I don't want to rewrite the Constitution. I don't support open borders (I don't know anyone that does, liberal or conservative.) I do want my leaders to work for positive change.

I think that what you've just said is filled with hatred. I don't know what that hatred is based upon, but the antagonism will stop when people engage each other. Insulting one another just feeds the division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 03:54 PM
 
40,719 posts, read 25,159,618 times
Reputation: 13042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Just like most of democrats, you keep promising you're not coming for our guns, but yet little by little, you're doing just that. Virginia is a test. This is not about felons owning guns. Obviously you have no idea what's going on. Don't tell me my 2A rights are safe while you support a side that is attempting to infringe on them.
Your opinion is not based on facts. What "little by little" are you talking about? What law has been passed that has infringed upon your 2nd Amendment rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
2,131 posts, read 1,451,945 times
Reputation: 3987
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Your opinion is not based on facts. What "little by little" are you talking about? What law has been passed that has infringed upon your 2nd Amendment rights?

Banning assault weapons (who gets to define what an assault weapon is?), banning high capacity magazine (I have some pistols that would fall under this cateogry)....... this is the first step. Also, limiting how many someone can buy in a month. It's a test. If dems can pass it in VA, nothing will stop other states. This kind of stuff has already passed in CA, ....... little by little, the dems are infringing. FACT! You support that side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2020, 04:16 PM
 
40,719 posts, read 25,159,618 times
Reputation: 13042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Banning assault weapons (who gets to define what an assault weapon is?), banning high capacity magazine (I have some pistols that would fall under this cateogry)....... this is the first step. Also, limiting how many someone can buy in a month. It's a test. If dems can pass it in VA, nothing will stop other states. This kind of stuff has already passed in CA, ....... little by little, the dems are infringing. FACT! You support that side.
So YOU have had difficulty purchasing a gun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top