U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 01:49 PM
sub

1,452 posts, read 637,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So very very true and much lower crime. I am not quite sure how anyone could think Little Rock area is a pretty as NWA. I am not saying it is ugly, but certainly would never enter my mind as a place to live unless there was some reason for the choice. We do have some friends who have recently moved there from So CA. They had a good reason. Both are getting up in years, their daughter married a doctor in Little and our friends felt they needed to be close to family, plus they just couldn't stand living in So. Ca any longer. Now, for them the move was fine. BTW, if it hadn't been for their advancing years and him having some related health issues they would have considered NWA.
They're very similar in terms of natural features. Very similar. We all have our opinions. I like the river with the cliffs around it, Pinnacle Mountain off in the distance, little islands....
NWA is okay for nature, but I find Little Rock to have more impressive features within it's boarders.
Also, the price differences are negligible. If the OP really wants to live in Arkansas, they'll be fine in either place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 11:12 PM

411 posts, read 207,463 times
I've been through Arkansas many times. I also agree NWA is likely your best bet. Or somewhere in the northern part of the state. But the hot summers, humidity, and warm weather are still found in most of Arkansas. Remember, Arkansas is still the south. Southern Arkansas is about the same as North Louisiana... I live near the Gulf of Mexico and it's pretty much the same climate as you in Houston.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:36 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,554,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
They're very similar in terms of natural features. Very similar. We all have our opinions. I like the river with the cliffs around it, Pinnacle Mountain off in the distance, little islands....
NWA is okay for nature, but I find Little Rock to have more impressive features within it's boarders.
Also, the price differences are negligible. If the OP really wants to live in Arkansas, they'll be fine in either place.
Little Rock has some good hills, and Pinnacle Mountain is a really nice, good hiking park.

The river is its own thing and reminds me a lot of downtown Austin, with the waterfront there.

Fayetteville is close to a ton of outdoors activities. Beaver Lake in NWA is cleaner and prettier than any of the lakes anywhere near LR, Greers Ferry Lake would be the most comparable to the Ozarks lakes around here and that must be at least an hour from LR. Little Rock straddles the Delta and the Ouachitas. Most of the rivers in the Ouachitas are dingey and brown, whereas all of the rivers around here are clear to blue-green. Same for the lakes around here. Its a different landscape, but I am very into outdoors activities and so I pay closer attention to things like that. Little Rock is close to some really good duck hunting areas around Stuttgart and Dewitt.

Hillcrest and the Heights areas of Little Rock are nice (we considered UALR and that area before moving here), but they are also right next door to some pretty high-crime areas. I'd compare that area to the historic districts in downtown Fayetteville, which are hillier, have some gorgeous views of Mt. Sequoyah and the University, and also are very safe and low-crime.

West Little Rock is ok, but the development patterns there are very 1980s. Good demographics, but ugly strip-malls for the most part.

Downtown Little Rock is cool, but the restaurant scene is lacking, and the bar scene seems very touristy. I'd put downtown Bentonville's selection of restaurants up against LR, and its a town of 50k (albeit a powerhouse in tems of high-paying jobs and transplants).

LR's metro is spread out over 6 counties, whereas NWA is 3. There are well over 500k people in two counties here, relatively close together, where LR "metro" population includes things as far flung as Benton and Conway and Cabot. It's nearly 50 miles between Conway and Benton. It's not much further from Fayetteville to Ft. Smith, which is its own little metro of around 300k.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:25 PM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I've been through Arkansas many times. I also agree NWA is likely your best bet. Or somewhere in the northern part of the state. But the hot summers, humidity, and warm weather are still found in most of Arkansas. Remember, Arkansas is still the south. Southern Arkansas is about the same as North Louisiana... I live near the Gulf of Mexico and it's pretty much the same climate as you in Houston.
Yeah, northern Arkansas may not be as hot as Dallas or as humid as New Orleans, but it's still pretty dang hot and humid for long stretches of time in the summer. I personally never thought of Arkansas as being all that outdoorsy until the internet arrived, certainly not in any recreational sense outside maybe fishing and hunting where you get to sit still or go out during one of the more pleasant times of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Little Rock has some good hills, and Pinnacle Mountain is a really nice, good hiking park.

The river is its own thing and reminds me a lot of downtown Austin, with the waterfront there.

Fayetteville is close to a ton of outdoors activities. Beaver Lake in NWA is cleaner and prettier than any of the lakes anywhere near LR, Greers Ferry Lake would be the most comparable to the Ozarks lakes around here and that must be at least an hour from LR. Little Rock straddles the Delta and the Ouachitas. Most of the rivers in the Ouachitas are dingey and brown, whereas all of the rivers around here are clear to blue-green. Same for the lakes around here. Its a different landscape, but I am very into outdoors activities and so I pay closer attention to things like that. Little Rock is close to some really good duck hunting areas around Stuttgart and Dewitt.

Hillcrest and the Heights areas of Little Rock are nice (we considered UALR and that area before moving here), but they are also right next door to some pretty high-crime areas. I'd compare that area to the historic districts in downtown Fayetteville, which are hillier, have some gorgeous views of Mt. Sequoyah and the University, and also are very safe and low-crime.

West Little Rock is ok, but the development patterns there are very 1980s. Good demographics, but ugly strip-malls for the most part.

Downtown Little Rock is cool, but the restaurant scene is lacking, and the bar scene seems very touristy. I'd put downtown Bentonville's selection of restaurants up against LR, and its a town of 50k (albeit a powerhouse in tems of high-paying jobs and transplants).

LR's metro is spread out over 6 counties, whereas NWA is 3. There are well over 500k people in two counties here, relatively close together, where LR "metro" population includes things as far flung as Benton and Conway and Cabot. It's nearly 50 miles between Conway and Benton. It's not much further from Fayetteville to Ft. Smith, which is its own little metro of around 300k.
At some point we're just splitting hairs.
It really just comes down to whether you like a small city or a college town with other suburban-ish towns nearby. I happen to like the "city" feel of Little Rock.
It may be spread out over 5 counties, but almost everything Little Rock has to offer is in Pulaski county, and even then mostly within the city limits of Little Rock and North Little Rock. Hardly anyone does much regular travel between Benton and Cabot. The suburbs generally gravitate towards the city for things to do, not among each other like NWA. One of my biggest complaints about NWA is that it isn't centralized in any way. People are likely to travel that 40 mile spread more regularly than suburbanites around Little Rock.
But, it's all in what you like. NWA has developed in such a way that I don't think it could ever appeal to me, especially with all the other options in this country. If I wanted that type of environment, no way would I consider Northwest Arkansas. There are plenty of places with much better weather for outdoors.
Of course plenty of people like it, that's their perogative.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:55 AM

74,380 posts, read 86,771,421 times
All I can say has been said before: 1-some people, for whatever reason just simply love to post negatives about NWA. something obviously has turned them off and they will continue.

2-no one is saying there is no humidity: of course there is and yes, the summer can be pretty humid, but the difference is the length of summer, the lower temp than La. and Texas and the cooler nights. NWA reminds me of the summer we lived in No. VA on the DC border.

3-small town verses major cities: this is what makes NWA so special to so many: it is the perfect balance. Because of the 3 or 4 large towns merging together it appears to be one big city if you are traveling along the highway, but within a few minutes you are in the country. It is a perfect mixture of urban and rural combined. I can't think of much anyone would want that does not exist here: decent to very good medical facilities, including a new campus just completed about a year ago that is an extension of Children's hospital in Little Rock: almost any type of food anyone would want; specialty shopping, great entertainment, wonderful outdoor activities including bike and hiking trails, as well as fishing and hunting and all within 30 minutes to an hour from wherever you live: diversity with people from all over the world, due, primarily to Walmart headquarters.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:23 AM

2,147 posts, read 1,467,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Yeah, northern Arkansas may not be as hot as Dallas or as humid as New Orleans, but it's still pretty dang hot and humid for long stretches of time in the summer. I personally never thought of Arkansas as being all that outdoorsy until the internet arrived, certainly not in any recreational sense outside maybe fishing and hunting where you get to sit still or go out during one of the more pleasant times of year.

I see your point. You can go kayaking in the crystal clear waters of the Buffalo or many other water ways, even multi day trips since there area some great beach spots for camping, you can go on one of the dozens of designated hiking trails and see some of the wonders of the state such as waterfalls (like the tallest waterfall on this side of the rockies), rock formations such as hawksbill crag, natural bridges, you can tour old homesteads that have stood for over a century, tour caves, you can go boating in one of the many lakes to either fish, swim, or ski, and yes as you pointed out you can even hunt on the thousands of acres of public hunting lands, etc. But I see how you don't think it's very outdoorsy.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:22 AM

238 posts, read 179,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I see your point. You can go kayaking in the crystal clear waters of the Buffalo or many other water ways, even multi day trips since there area some great beach spots for camping, you can go on one of the dozens of designated hiking trails and see some of the wonders of the state such as waterfalls (like the tallest waterfall on this side of the rockies), rock formations such as hawksbill crag, natural bridges, you can tour old homesteads that have stood for over a century, tour caves, you can go boating in one of the many lakes to either fish, swim, or ski, and yes as you pointed out you can even hunt on the thousands of acres of public hunting lands, etc. But I see how you don't think it's very outdoorsy.
Touche'

Sitting in Illinois, freezing my rear off in what seems like pertpetual darkness as I type this post, my AR visits were a breath of fresh air and the essence of outdoorsy. Now Im getting ready to go drive 100 miles on icey roads. Talk about excitement. Maybe everyone should move to Illinois to enjoy the winter months. I agree with Hollyna for the most. However, I can see potentially weeks of time where I would likely lay low during the heat of the day in AR during the height of summer.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:55 AM

8,112 posts, read 12,182,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelsizegirl View Post

So, I think I'll stop there and see what you guys think. Are we likely to be happy in Arkansas, or are we barking up the wrong tree? Can you get decent internet speeds in the NWA area? Are there areas in Little Rock that are safe enough, AND still relatively inexpensive? For comparison, we are living 10-12 minutes west of downtown Houston, in a one bedroom apartment, about 650 sqft, for $1167/mo rent.
Just randomly found this thread, but that is dirt cheap where I'm living ... NJ. Maybe not dirt cheap, but certainly cheap.

I personally would recommend North Carolina.

NWA seems like an odd place to pick out of the blue. I'd be thinking like NC, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, etc, etc

Old 02-07-2020, 05:58 AM

74,380 posts, read 86,771,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Just randomly found this thread, but that is dirt cheap where I'm living ... NJ. Maybe not dirt cheap, but certainly cheap.

NWA seems like an odd place to pick out of the blue. I'd be thinking like NC, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, etc, etc
Well we all have our ideas and I guess unless you live someplace or have friends that do you may not fully understand the region or the state. I am guessing you are among those, but I certainly don't know this. My reasons for posting to your comments area:

1-Both OR and WA are very high cost of living, even compared to say Houston. I doubt the OP is looking for a higher COL. She has stated she is looking for a lower col.

2-NC isn't going to be all that much different that Houston except not quite as humid

3-Alaska, why would someone who lives in a major city with other cities around them consider moving to a place with almost no city atmosphere and long, winters, not 4 distinct seasons.

4- work opportunity is not going to be as available as in more urban areas.

5-cost of living in Alaska is very high due to everything pretty much has to be flown in and OP mentioned liking to garden. How long do you think the gardening season is in Alaska?

Reading an article does not tell a story. It gives an opinion only. The OP mentioned she has been doing a lot of research. She isn't just picking out a location out of the blue. Of course before anyone makes a decision as to where to live visiting the area is a must.

Last edited by nmnita; 02-07-2020 at 06:08 AM..

Old 02-07-2020, 06:18 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
True. Anywhere is outdoorsy as long as you're willing to go outside. A person can do those type of things in a lot of places though.
Illinois is not a good comparison:

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
Touche'

Sitting in Illinois, freezing my rear off in what seems like pertpetual darkness as I type this post, my AR visits were a breath of fresh air and the essence of outdoorsy. Now Im getting ready to go drive 100 miles on icey roads. Talk about excitement. Maybe everyone should move to Illinois to enjoy the winter months. I agree with Hollyna for the most. However, I can see potentially weeks of time where I would likely lay low during the heat of the day in AR during the height of summer.
You're an alright guy. I have the tendency to view these forums like a bunch of friends sitting around shooting the breeze. Not all the time, but more often than people think. Sometimes I get responses from people (not you) playing the role of a talking head on cable news discussing politics when I'm talking about the weather. So anyway...
We all have our preferences. I've been accused of being a polar bear by those closest to me so there's the grain of salt.
Currently typing this a two to a few hundred miles north of you from my best guess, I haven't really frozen anything off yet. Even this week, my family has spent as much time outside going for walks and whatnot, than we would have in the springtime of the Ozarks.
Temps have been steady around 25-30 (50 the other day) for most of the winter with a couple of cold shots that dropped us into the low teens. After the real cold, 30 feels like Florida to these folks. Some people out in short sleeves and even a few shorts. No kidding.

They do a good job with the roads where we are, but we live in city where virtually everything we do is no more than 5-6 miles away. Most of it's 2. If I remember right, don't you work in Chicago, but live way out? Don't blame you at all for wanting out of that situation.
Arkansas would probably suit you well since you have the mindset for it. That's really what it takes. I come on here sometimes to throw up red flags to let people know it's not for everyone, especially for people trying to make a living and raise kids. If you're college educated, work in certain fields, and are willing to live in one of a few pockets of the state, or, if you're retired and made your fortune elsewhere and can live with it's quirks, it's alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

That's my thought, sort of. Here in the middle, we pay less than a grand a month for 2 beds-2 car garage.
The OP is from Texas though. There's always been a lot of movement between the two states.
To me, North Carolina isn't much of an improvement and seems just as random, but I'm not an east coast person at all.
For the outdoors, out west can't be beat, but you pay a premium for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or