U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2020, 12:41 PM

3,086 posts, read 1,092,602 times

Advertisements

I found this article to be of interest, and wondered what other people's take is.

At it's sale, Wilderness Aware's tale is a telling of history as a mountain river town | Free Content | chaffeecountytimes.com
Quote:
“There were a few other rafting companies throughout the state. It was pretty much in its infancy,” said Reed Dils, the former owner of Four Corners Rafting. “There were outfitters running Dinosaur National Monument on the Gates of Lodor and the Green River. We started on the Dolores in Southwest Colorado and there were a couple other outfitters around there, but there really wasn’t much going on.”

Since about 1997, Joe said, Wilderness Aware has run between 8,000 and 11,000 boaters.

The Arkansas River, then a hidden whitewater gem prized by a niche group of adventurous hippie types, now boasts one of the most heavily commercially rafted section of river in the country, a national monument rising steeply from its shores.

“You would see a kayak or a raft on the highway and you would wave because you knew them,” Joe said.

Only a handful of outfitters had purpose-built locations. Most were run out of gas stations and the backs of trucks and vans.

Exponential growth in the industry occurred in the ‘80s, Dils said. At that time, the public land on the Arkansas was managed by the Bureau of Land Management, an arrangement that left a lot to be desired.

Private land turned into public land, access

Much of the land on the river was private, and companies would make arrangements with landowners to put in on their property.

Because boaters would put in on private land and take out on private land, the BLM couldn’t impose a user fee. The Bureau may have owned some of the riverbed of the Arkansas, but not the surface of the water.

“They didn’t feel that they could limit the number of permits,” Joe said.

Before the creation of the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area in the late ‘90s, a then-novel partnership between BLM and CPW to manage the river itself, the rafting industry was “a wild west situation,” Dils said.

“Gradually, once Arkansas Headwaters came into being in 1990, they and the BLM started purchasing properties and providing access,” Dils said. “The town of Buena Vista, they got a grant to put that bridge in and several real estate owners were able to convert that area into what you see today with the soccer fields and stuff. That was a dump back in the ‘80s.”
As I understand the article, this area is part Arkansas, and part Colorado. With Buena Vista being on the CO side of the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 01:13 PM

40,755 posts, read 25,194,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I found this article to be of interest, and wondered what other people's take is.

At it's sale, Wilderness Aware's tale is a telling of history as a mountain river town | Free Content | chaffeecountytimes.com

As I understand the article, this area is part Arkansas, and part Colorado. With Buena Vista being on the CO side of the border.
Very interesting article. I don't know of any rafting on the Arkansas River in Arkansas. It's pretty commercial, with barge traffic. But I know that people fish on the river. Arkansas doesn't border Colorado.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:39 PM

3,086 posts, read 1,092,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Very interesting article. I don't know of any rafting on the Arkansas River in Arkansas. It's pretty commercial, with barge traffic. But I know that people fish on the river. Arkansas doesn't border Colorado.
True. My poor choice of words made it sound like I didn't know that.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:39 PM

3,896 posts, read 3,406,461 times
I'm not sure how to relate this to Arkansas. We've vacationed in Buena Vista several times over the past twenty plus years. It's been almost five years since we were there last. The area is gorgeous. We've rafted there through Brown's Canyon three times. The river is less of a draw for us than the other areas. We love the old ghost towns and hiking the Alpine Trail to the tunnel. Have to stop in St Elmo and feed the chipmonks. We enjoy scouting around for the various rocks and minerals of the area. We've camped at Ruby Mountain a handful of times and looked for garnets. Have to stop in and swim in the pools from the hot springs and slide the big slide. We've toured the area quite a bit. The Arkansas River there is more like a stream in places and we enjoy doing other things more.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:33 AM

3,957 posts, read 5,538,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
The Arkansas River there is more like a stream in places and we enjoy doing other things more.
Did you know that outside of the state of Arkansas, the river is pronounced Ar-Kan-Zes River? True story. I was in Wichita when I first heard the unusual pronunciation.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:28 AM
sub

1,446 posts, read 629,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Did you know that outside of the state of Arkansas, the river is pronounced Ar-Kan-Zes River? True story. I was in Wichita when I first heard the unusual pronunciation.
I have family members that pronounce it that way. They go out to Colorado for vacations and talk about the Ar-Kansas River. One of them lived out there as a youngster so maybe that's where they got it.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:55 AM

16,755 posts, read 21,511,737 times
Some of the best trout fishing in the whole state of Colorado is on the Arkansas River, particularly the stretch on U.S. 50 from Coaldale to Howard.

Some of the prettiest mountains you'll ever see in the state is on that highway stretch, and also from Salida to Buena Vista.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
That's pretty much a Kansas thing. I've never heard anyone else say that.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:15 PM

10,868 posts, read 8,898,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
That's pretty much a Kansas thing. I've never heard anyone else say that.
It's also the Colorado pronunciation. When visiting a very good friend in Colorado about ten years ago, the headwaters of the Arkansas River was pointed out to me near Leadville. It looked like a little creek, running swiftly through a deep valley. The river's size and appearance change, along with the pronunciation of its name, as it heads southeast.

My Kansas cousins, who share my strong Arkansas roots, call the river the "Arkansaw". Said their Little Rock mom would have disowned them , had they used the local "Ar-Kansas" pronunciation!

No matter where I may encounter the river in the future, it will always be the "Arkansaw" River to me.

Old Today, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
It's also the Colorado pronunciation. When visiting a very good friend in Colorado about ten years ago, the headwaters of the Arkansas River was pointed out to me near Leadville. It looked like a little creek, running swiftly through a deep valley. The river's size and appearance change, along with the pronunciation of its name, as it heads southeast.

My Kansas cousins, who share my strong Arkansas roots, call the river the "Arkansaw". Said their Little Rock mom would have disowned them , had they used the local "Ar-Kansas" pronunciation!

No matter where I may encounter the river in the future, it will always be the "Arkansaw" River to me.
I've always heard it as 'Arkansaw' even there. If you go into the local shops, restaurants and businesses, there are a lot of transplants or non-locals in the area too. Many are just there for the summer and work elsewhere the winter when the tourists are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or