Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 06:23 PM

108 posts, read 94,644 times

Advertisements

Would like to hear from anyone using HughesNet for internet connectivity. We are looking at a house in an area where neither Cox nor ATT provide service; HughesNet appears to be the only option available.

How reliable is your connection?

What kind of streaming speed do you get?
Can you watch Netflix without buffering?
Any other information would be appreciated!

Thanks
A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 05:58 AM

231 posts, read 381,456 times
I do not use the service. At my location I looked online to find who serviced my area. Only cox or satellite showed availability. Oddly enough I have an att box at the end of my driveway so I called them and they said they don’t have service here except for phone... talked to my neighbor and they have att phone, internet, and tv. Ended up getting run around but I did get att internet. By far cheaper and faster than the other two options.

My other neighbor has some type of satellite tv and internet but they don’t like it for internet. Not sure if it is the plan they have but they complain of high price and slow speeds.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:42 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
I"ve never heard one good thing about Hughesnet from anywhere. Why even consider it when you have the option of true fast internet in Bella Vista?

Old 03-09-2020, 06:43 AM

Thanks Snaple4,
Over the years I have heard various anecdotes from various neighbors and they all pretty much said HN wasn't all that good. We live and die by our internet- haven't had cable in over 12-15 years but watch streaming every night, so it is important for us.
The area is in the East side of BV ... any other suggestions?

HollyNla- tel me please... I have checked both AT&T (preferred) and Cox websites - tried a few addresses on the same street and came up nada.

Last edited by Achi WaWa; 03-09-2020 at 06:51 AM..

Old 03-09-2020, 07:34 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achi WaWa View Post
Thanks Snaple4,
Over the years I have heard various anecdotes from various neighbors and they all pretty much said HN wasn't all that good. We live and die by our internet- haven't had cable in over 12-15 years but watch streaming every night, so it is important for us.
The area is in the East side of BV ... any other suggestions?

HollyNla- tel me please... I have checked both AT&T (preferred) and Cox websites - tried a few addresses on the same street and came up nada.
I would call Cox directly. There are some areas of Northwest Arkansas that cannot access AT&T because of conflicts with Contel. But Cox is really all over.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:55 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
If you can get Verizon cell coverage they have a thing called the Verizon Jetpack. We had it for 3 months before Xfinity became available again. The speeds were changing constantly but it worked for banking, e mail, City Data and Youtube. I think AT&T have something similar.

The Jetpack is the size of a garage opener. There are several models, maybe the most expensive is better ? All have a battery, good for 6-8 hours, and rechargeable. You can take it with you on vacation if that matters, they supposed to work anywhere with Verizon coverage.

For television only we use Dish Network and I'm very happy with their service. I wish they had some sort of Internet access bundled. It is worth asking, because it varies by location.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
If you can get Verizon cell coverage they have a thing called the Verizon Jetpack. We had it for 3 months before Xfinity became available again. The speeds were changing constantly but it worked for banking, e mail, City Data and Youtube. I think AT&T have something similar.

The Jetpack is the size of a garage opener. There are several models, maybe the most expensive is better ? All have a battery, good for 6-8 hours, and rechargeable. You can take it with you on vacation if that matters, they supposed to work anywhere with Verizon coverage.

For television only we use Dish Network and I'm very happy with their service. I wish they had some sort of Internet access bundled. It is worth asking, because it varies by location.
We do use Hughs, but only because we have an AT&T bundle and that is what they offer in our area of BV. Our other choice would be COX> We have only had Hughs for about 6 months, but so far, so good. We also have direct TV but would prefer Dish. Again it has more to do with our bundle and some of Direct is great, some not so great.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:12 AM

33 posts, read 19,974 times
Just before I moved to BV, the owner of the house allowed me to test the HughesNet connection. Go-to meeting conference call connection was low quality. It was a video call, which increases bandwidth. A VPN connection to my client was almost impossible. Fortunately I checked Cox Cable, and their engineering team had the house in their queue, so I received high-speed internet access about 1 week after the house purchase. But the week prior, I camped at the BV library, since Att has a cell tower close to the building.
Another nice feature is...since I am the current house owner, and not the account holder, the HughesNet technician refused to remove the dish that still remains.

In conclusion, treat HughesNet like the coronavirus

Old 03-12-2020, 02:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocohara View Post
Just before I moved to BV, the owner of the house allowed me to test the HughesNet connection. Go-to meeting conference call connection was low quality. It was a video call, which increases bandwidth. A VPN connection to my client was almost impossible. Fortunately I checked Cox Cable, and their engineering team had the house in their queue, so I received high-speed internet access about 1 week after the house purchase. But the week prior, I camped at the BV library, since Att has a cell tower close to the building.
Another nice feature is...since I am the current house owner, and not the account holder, the HughesNet technician refused to remove the dish that still remains.

In conclusion, treat HughesNet like the coronavirus
Isn't that a bit dramatic?

Old 03-15-2020, 04:45 PM

To me, it's about the same as saying... stay away... or maybe I should stock up on TP?

We didn't take the house on the east side mainly because the only inet service available was HN.
The one we bought will have AT&T, and since we already use their cell service we think it may work out fine. Thanks for all your experiences. One of these days I may try it just to make a comparison.

On the way home we stopped at White Sands Missie Range and I noticed the Park Service uses HN, so I asked them how their reception was...
heh heh, I knew they couldn't say anything negative but maybe if it was positive... so they told me they couldn't say one way or another because they are in an area of really poor reception ... yeah,uh-huh, flat desert, clear sky view no mountains or trees... real poor reception area for a satellite fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
View detailed profiles of: