Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 01:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
There are lots of rentals here, both condos and homes, furnished or unfurnished, short term or long term. The POA dues are $69 per month for improved lot (home) and $39 for unimproved. Personally I don't consider that to be high based on what I have paid HOAs in the past, plus it keeps the amenities nice. I would be willing to pay more if needed. Plus there are two medical marijuana dispensaries in Hot Springs for the headaches although I do not need to partake in that.
I agree $69/$39 is not that high compared to some areas. We paid $30 a month when we lived in N. VA in the 1980s and all we got was the front law and public areas mowed. We had no golf, pools, or any other facilities. My response was simply based on what we pay here: ours are $37 a month, just went up starting next month and unimproved are about $10 a month if that high. We have one dispensary here plus several near by, within about 20 minutes of BV. Like you I have no reason for needing marijuana at this time but I do have back problems so who knows what the future holds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 05:28 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
For eliminating locations that have weather outside of my preferred temperature range, I use this site. It allows me to pick a state/country, pick a month, and choose a temperature range that suits me, and it returns for my review, all cities within that range.

The example above is for the state of AR, for the month of January, and lists cities/towns that average temperatures between 30 and 90 degrees.

As for healthcare...there are many ways to rate facilities...here is an example of rating hospitals for patient safety....AR is listed as 42nd in the listing, but you could narrow down the search and do it by town.

In the fall of 2019, Mercy Hospital NW AR in Rogers had an A rating, while others in the area had a C rating.

For rating Physicians, here is a list of the top 100 locations with the highest HPI (Happy Patient Index) rankings.

You could wear yourself out looking at data, at the end of the day, just decide on which location rings the most important (to you) bells.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 02-22-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
For eliminating locations that have weather outside of my preferred temperature range, I use this site. It allows me to pick a state/country, pick a month, and choose a temperature range that suits me, and it returns for my review, all cities within that range.

The example above is for the state of AR, for the month of January, and lists cities/towns that average temperatures between 30 and 90 degrees.

As for healthcare...there are many ways to rate facilities...here is an example of rating hospitals for patient safety....AR is listed as 42nd in the listing, but you could narrow down the search and do it by town.

In the fall of 2019, Mercy Hospital NW AR in Rogers had an A rating, while others in the area had a C rating.

For rating Physicians, here is a list of the top 100 locations with the highest HPI (Happy Patient Index) rankings.

You could wear yourself out looking at data, at the end of the day, just decide on which location rings the most important (to you) bells.

Good Luck
Gemstone1
Data and studies are only as good as the day or week they were done. I think too many people think too hard when trying to make a decision about where to live, what kind of car to buy or whatever. This is particularly true when we are discussing an entire state. One bad or outstanding rating can throw everything off.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:19 AM

108 posts, read 94,352 times
In previous years I found if I made an impulsive buy, I usually chose wrong and should have waited until I knew what I really wanted. Too often found out there was something I overlooked or better option available... therefore for many years I have made it a practice to do a LOT of product comparisons before deciding where and what to spend my money on. My wife says I get into a state of analysis paralysis and can't make a decision... I contend I am still thinking about it.

Very often you will have to make trade-offs or compromises, so what I usually do first is identify the things I DON'T want and immediately eliminate those from the selection list. You will have to decide on what important factors that you don't want to deal with.

If it is a car, maybe you don't want a gas guzzler V8 or maybe you don't want an anemic powered 4 cyl, so don't waste time looking at them. Same with a place to live... Hate high taxes? don't check out xxx.

When you get your shortlist, then you can start comparing favorable features. Here I tend to try and rank them or I continue elimination by comparing A vs B only then the winner A vs another B until I get to the top three... then it becomes a matter of final choice and what I had for breakfast... Once I decide on THE ONE, I then price shop it online.

Maybe it will work for you, maybe not...

Old 02-23-2020, 02:39 AM

5 posts, read 6,287 times
Default btoverdrive thanks

Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. can you tell me if there is a dialysis center there or close ? Can you give me a ball park average for rentals in the area ?

Old 02-23-2020, 03:24 AM

5 posts, read 6,287 times
Default thanks

Yeah. I check all the statistics but realize that its a ball park estimate. That's why I hooked up with the forum,. It's nice to hear it from someone with boots on the ground. I'm a retired/disabled cop, so I fully aware that anything can happen anywhere. With my background I never thought I'd be wanting much to do with marijuana either, but after doc said check it out I did and was amazed how well it worked for my cluster headaches. I don't know if you are familiar with them, but I spend 8 to 12 hours every day in agony, witch causes depression and anxiety and many sleepless nights, as they come night and day and trash your life. nmnita, if you can give me a general heads up on what the rental situation is in BV too, I would appreciate it. I appreciate everyone's help and friendly non judgement. It will be somewhere in your neighborhood I hope. It sounds like beautiful country with decent people . Are there any good nondenominational churches in the area also ? Thanks again to all.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:52 AM

490 posts, read 1,265,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little butch View Post
Thanks for the info, that helps a lot. can you tell me if there is a dialysis center there or close ? Can you give me a ball park average for rentals in the area ?
This was done with a quick google search.

https://www.davita.com/tools/find-di...dalities=4&p=1

https://www.hsvrentals.com/

This is only one rental agency in HSV, there are many. Just google Hot Springs Village rentals and you will see numerous listings.

There are also many on VRBO and Airbnb.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2020, 04:52 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Go around Tyler Tx. Pine Trees, Hardwoods, Excellent health care. Only a bit of ice that melts by midmorning. No hilly Mt rds. I am 67 and in Kansas City; I sure would for me pick Tx.

Old 02-29-2020, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Go around Tyler Tx. Pine Trees, Hardwoods, Excellent health care. Only a bit of ice that melts by midmorning. No hilly Mt rds. I am 67 and in Kansas City; I sure would for me pick Tx.
Yes, Tyler is a really nice place, but I think the OP is asking about AR. Is there some reason you would take TX over AR? We have a lot of people who are retiring from Kansas City right here and in HSV.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:56 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
One of the problems for someone retiring to Arkansas is that even retirement income is taxed with only $6K exempt. It's certainly a consideration - and one of the reasons we chose to retire in TN. Not to mention the tornadoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas