Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 06:39 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,359 times

Advertisements

I would give Columbus, GA a serious look. Very low cost of living. Columbus is smaller than Lincoln, but not a lot smaller, and is about 90 minutes southwest of Atlanta, and less than 3 hours from Panama City Beach FL, as well as the North Georgia mountains. Summers tend to be hot and humid, but the downtown area is very nice and would be a great place to live. Columbus is only about 35 miles east of Auburn University, and is the world headquarters of Aflac. Also very close to Pine Mountain/Callaway Gardens, GA.

www.visitcolumbusga.com

36 Hours: Columbus, Ga. – Find your tourist interests in Columbus, Ga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 05:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
One of the problems for someone retiring to Arkansas is that even retirement income is taxed with only $6K exempt. It's certainly a consideration - and one of the reasons we chose to retire in TN. Not to mention the tornadoes.
But one of the advantages, on the other hand is taxes on property are frozen and never increase after you purchase your home except for local school taxes. Otherwise you are right. I would say this hasn't seem to stop many from retiring here as we have so many older residence throughout the state. We pay almost no income taxes. Of course we are living pretty much on SS plus a small retirement and a few investments. I would think the income tax situation would really only make a huge difference if you have a very large retirement. Many of our friends and those we know from church are certainly in the upper middle class range: retired doctors, dentists, accountants, engineers, etc and I have never heard any of them complain about the income tax. I think much of this has to do with where you lived and worked prior to retirement. If you are coming from a high taxation state our tax structure would not be an issue.

Also anyone who is chiming in suggesting other places must not be reading what the OP has been posting. I am guessing, from the information he has provided his income is probably not so high that he has to be concerned about income taxes.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:20 AM

383 posts, read 400,148 times
Quote:
One of the problems for someone retiring to Arkansas is that even retirement income is taxed with only $6K exempt. It's certainly a consideration - and one of the reasons we chose to retire in TN. Not to mention the tornadoes.
I agree the income tax situation in AR is not ideal for retiree's. When I evaluated it, I considered both retirement icome tax and sales tax as "high". Other cost of living expenses offset much of the high tax situation.

Also, are you trying to convince someone there are no tornado's in Tennessee?

Old 03-01-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
I agree the income tax situation in AR is not ideal for retiree's. When I evaluated it, I considered both retirement icome tax and sales tax as "high". Other cost of living expenses offset much of the high tax situation.

Also, are you trying to convince someone there are no tornado's in Tennessee?
As for tornado's even here in AR the chances of being involved in one are slim, depending on where you live Of course they have some in TN as well, but why would anyone base there decision on where to live based on possible disasters hitting. I don't know of a state that does not have some possibility of a natural disaster.

It is surprising to me that people are coming onto this thread to recommend other places to live other than AR. That is not what the OP asked for.

You are right about the overall cost of living. There is more to COL than taxes and there are some who do not pay much in taxes due to either write offs or lack of income.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Hmmmm........

Old 03-04-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Hmmmm........
That was my thought Monday night or early yesterday morning.

Old 03-04-2020, 03:10 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That was my thought Monday night or early yesterday morning.
My heart goes out to the people affected. I know it wasn't very nice of me to think about this post when the people of Nashville and its surrounds are struggling to find everyone and to recover from this storm, but the news of the tornado made me think of this poster.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
My heart goes out to the people affected. I know it wasn't very nice of me to think about this post when the people of Nashville and its surrounds are struggling to find everyone and to recover from this storm, but the news of the tornado made me think of this poster.
That came to my mind when I heard about the disaster as well. Of course all of us or I hope all of us are praying for closure to this horrible occurrence and hoping those so affected will be able to put this behind them and go on with life. I just was surprised when the poster threw in the part about tornado's and then with in a few days it was TN that got hit.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:35 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:

Didn't know that! ugh

Old 03-06-2020, 01:56 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little butch View Post
Yeah. I check all the statistics but realize that its a ball park estimate. That's why I hooked up with the forum,. It's nice to hear it from someone with boots on the ground. I'm a retired/disabled cop, so I fully aware that anything can happen anywhere. With my background I never thought I'd be wanting much to do with marijuana either, but after doc said check it out I did and was amazed how well it worked for my cluster headaches. I don't know if you are familiar with them, but I spend 8 to 12 hours every day in agony, witch causes depression and anxiety and many sleepless nights, as they come night and day and trash your life. nmnita, if you can give me a general heads up on what the rental situation is in BV too, I would appreciate it. I appreciate everyone's help and friendly non judgement. It will be somewhere in your neighborhood I hope. It sounds like beautiful country with decent people . Are there any good nondenominational churches in the area also ? Thanks again to all.

Based on your original post I would go further south (warmer).

Love NWA and while warmer than Nebraska, it gets cold. I registered a low of -3 with a wind chill of -16 in January 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas