U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 02:46 PM

6,603 posts, read 3,001,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I don't think so. AR is not IL. As a matter of fact, They AR quite well. (/punny)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are pretty much in lock down mode now.
Not at all. I just got back from the Church of the Hand Sanitizer at the Door.
(Just a bit of humor.)

As I put in this morning's Sitrep:
Quote:
On the mitigation front, Arkansas government has ordered all schools and sit down restaurants closed, take out, drive up, drive thru, and delivery are still open. Government and banking offices are mostly closed. If you need to work face to face, it is generally by appointment only. Entertainment venues and other gatherings were not specified, but virtually all are closing.

The following sums up the governor's advice:
"The Arkansas Department of Health recommends that event coordinators take into account the size and scope of their event, as well as the demographics of those likely to attend..."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 02:57 PM

383 posts, read 341,560 times
Since the only persons getting tested are hospital admissions and the rich, I would not expect may "yes" answers to your question Hollynla. By this time next week, I expect to know a number of folks as several workmates went home sick this past week.

I suggest making sure our "Will's and beneficiaries are all in order.

Btw, I got out of equities 2 years ago as I neared retirement. Now I await the bottom and will consider getting back in. I expect the bottom will not occur until after we get past peak infections, probably closer to zero new infections. Like TREX, I beleive this will go on for a while. I beleive the first round will go thru July. There will be a round 2 as I doubt there will be a vaccine until Spring of 2021.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:58 AM

77,786 posts, read 98,908,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Not at all. I just got back from the Church of the Hand Sanitizer at the Door.
(Just a bit of humor.)

As I put in this morning's Sitrep:
Probably how much we are facing a shut down depends on where you live. We know of almost no one who is leaving their house except to do a little quick shopping or maybe to visit a neighbor shut in. We do know a couple here who have volunteered their time to shop for people in senior living establishments as those are the ones that are not allowed off the grounds except or doctors appointments, etc. We also are seeing some middle aged people walking their dogs and or doing some hiking in wide open places. Otherwise the area is like a dried up, dead town. I really hope the government doesn't put anymore restrictions on us. I just want everyone to follow the suggested plan.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Just curious if anyone personally knows someone who has coronavirus or thinks they have it?
Nope; the closest is my own husband and he has a spring allergy/cold cough. no other systems. We have talked to our doctor and a nurse practitioner. Both have said the same thing: nope!!!! We never really thought he did but we still did some checking just to be safe. Of course he isn't not going anywhere until he cough is gone, which could be another week of so.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:26 AM

485 posts, read 1,166,084 times
Quote:
Just curious if anyone personally knows someone who has coronavirus or thinks they have it?
Heard of anything in Newton County? We are still coming up Thursday. The Cliff House restaurant will be closed to inside dining but they said they would still cook us some Lenten catfish for us to take out on Friday!! Such nice people. I am so looking forward to this trip, probably won't even turn the TV on.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:02 AM

2,812 posts, read 2,327,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
Heard of anything in Newton County? We are still coming up Thursday. The Cliff House restaurant will be closed to inside dining but they said they would still cook us some Lenten catfish for us to take out on Friday!! Such nice people. I am so looking forward to this trip, probably won't even turn the TV on.

No, havent' heard of any in Newton County. We are so sparsely populated that it would be easier to contain if we did. The cafe's are doing take out. Mike and Becky at Cliff House are wonderful. I had 4 cancellations at my nightly rental cabin but then rebooked it more nights than were cancelled so doing alright there for now.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:04 AM

I'm almost in the group thinking the economic impact in this country and globally will be worse than if we just let the virus run it's course. The system can't take this for long. It's impacting almost every working family, small business owner, and yes even corporations. How long can people go without income before they start revolting.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I'm almost in the group thinking the economic impact in this country and globally will be worse than if we just let the virus run it's course. The system can't take this for long. It's impacting almost every working family, small business owner, and yes even corporations. How long can people go without income before they start revolting.
That is how our son feels. Both he and our older daughter are heavily impacted. Our daughter is lucky that she has a nice nest egg to depend on and a decent retirement, but work wise, she has not had a sale in over a month and she is the most active travel agent in the area. Our son, on the other side has his own business. He does floor installing and refinishing for large restaurant chains: no work, no pay: It is rough on him, plus he loves to be busy. Our other daughter, and her husband, who live in Fl are hanging in there except for being board; they have a large swimming pool maintainence business and people still have to have their pools cleaned. Even we are feeling the pinch: hubby has a small pet sitting business. We do not depend on business to make ends meet, but it is our spending money or as we call it our stash and cash fund. No one is traveling so no business.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:13 AM

I think that many are thinking the isolation is for stopping the spread, but it's for slowing the spread. We will still be dealing with the virus but will have to get back to life. We can continue to protect the sick and elderly by keeping them isolated from the public as much as possible. Looks like Trump is thinking ahead, he tweeted this last night
Quote:
Trump signals he may lift federal coronavirus guidelines, Congress at odds on rescue package - updates
https://www.yahoo.com/news/congress-...121432483.html
--Trump signals he may lift federal coronavirus guidelines
President Donald Trump signaled in a tweet overnight that he is considering lifting social distancing guidelines that may be slowing the spread of the coronavirus but are hurting the economy.
“WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF,” Trump posted on Twitter just before midnight in Washington. “AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!”

Old 03-23-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I think that many are thinking the isolation is for stopping the spread, but it's for slowing the spread. We will still be dealing with the virus but will have to get back to life. We can continue to protect the sick and elderly by keeping them isolated from the public as much as possible. Looks like Trump is thinking ahead, he tweeted this last night
If we have some moderation to the isolation it may be a blessing for all. Right now there is no middle ground It seems it is all of nothing, to mention each state should be enforcing restrictions based on their states outbreak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas