Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 02:18 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I'm sort of thinking outloud here but I'd like others to add in their thoughts.

This is a virus that is mostly deadly to a small segment of the population. Yes, there are outliers, but it's been shown to be mostly mild to the majority and some will never know they have it. However, the old, weak, and sick are vulnerable and it can be deadly.
We have shut down our country, sent kids home from school, crashed the stock market, put people out of work who have zero income now, it will kill lots of small businesses who will never recover, instilled panic in many........ is it worth it vs having let it run it's course while taking precautions like we would to avoid the flu and other viruses? Is the cost worth the lives that will be saved since we will still have many dead.

I know there's no answer to this right now and we won't really know till we're on the other side, but how will it be on the other side? Will we began booming with business and prosperity or will it be another great depression?
I've been saying for a while nobody seems remotely interested in estimating how many lives will be lost grinding the global economy to a halt versus how many will be saved by doing so. You can't conduct a rational cost-benefit evaluation of taking such a drastic action if you're ignoring a huge part of the "cost" component.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 03:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
I'm sort of thinking outloud here but I'd like others to add in their thoughts.

This is a virus that is mostly deadly to a small segment of the population. Yes, there are outliers, but it's been shown to be mostly mild to the majority and some will never know they have it. However, the old, weak, and sick are vulnerable and it can be deadly.
We have shut down our country, sent kids home from school, crashed the stock market, put people out of work who have zero income now, it will kill lots of small businesses who will never recover, instilled panic in many........ is it worth it vs having let it run it's course while taking precautions like we would to avoid the flu and other viruses? Is the cost worth the lives that will be saved since we will still have many dead.

I know there's no answer to this right now and we won't really know till we're on the other side, but how will it be on the other side? Will we began booming with business and prosperity or will it be another great depression?
I think this question is being mulled by a lot of people right now.

The thing for me is that we didn't know what we were dealing with. China kept it quiet, and then when the news did start to get out, do you trust what China is saying? The Chinese government controlled the narrative, and we didn't have any independent corroboration.

Then you have the issue of who is going to decide it's okay to let the old, the weak, the sickly to die. No one is going to make that decision, especially during an election year.

This was more communicable than the flu, and more deadly. Taking precautions like we would the flu wouldn't have been as effective.

Our actions have certainly been extreme, and the economy is definitely damaged, but I believe that it will recover. My fingers are still crossed that the President was right, that the coronavirus will fade away during the warmer months, and that we will have time before colder weather hits us again to either come up with a vaccine, or an effective treatment.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:12 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
This just happened today and it's definitely BREAKING news! An anti-viral drug that is showing 100% effectiveness in killing coronavirus for use immedately. More news on this should be coming out in the coming hours but this sounds very promising
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...rb-rHDg0CZB9fg

Old 03-19-2020, 07:29 PM

108 posts, read 94,556 times
What's done is done. The panic is here today. You can't stop it.
The $ lost in the stock market will never be recovered. Many will die or suffer for a long time after this is only a bygone memory.

What will be interesting is, if anything will be learned from the exercise... Do you think there will be a resurgence of 'made in America' or will most of the products we all love still be made in China?

I've often said that the real threat with open borders is not necessarily the people coming across (although there are many concerns there), it is with what they bring with them.

I have been in many countries and most of the ones south of us, for the average peon, medical care is no where near what we are used to.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:50 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
What will be interesting is, if anything will be learned from the exercise... Do you think there will be a resurgence of 'made in America' or will most of the products we all love still be made in China?
What is easiest to learn from history, is that we don't learn from history.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
I have to keep a positive thought just to get through this and we all do. Each day will bring more news, hopefully good, not bad. I do believe, regardless of how more feel the economy will bounce back, but not as fast as we might hope. There are so many companies suffering; Hardly any are not in one way or another.
We got a message yesterday from Kohl's. They have officially closed their doors but will continue to do online orders and are going to pay their employees for the next 2 weeks. I, for one, will order on line. I do not shop often at Kohl's but we do from time to time and any little thing to help them I will do.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
This just happened today and it's definitely BREAKING news! An anti-viral drug that is showing 100% effectiveness in killing coronavirus for use immedately. More news on this should be coming out in the coming hours but this sounds very promising
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...rb-rHDg0CZB9fg
...or not

Old 03-20-2020, 05:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
...or not
It is good news even if it is only 50% effective. It is a breakthrough and now let's see how the media handles it...Hopefully in a positive way.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:27 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is good news even if it is only 50% effective. It is a breakthrough and now let's see how the media handles it...Hopefully in a positive way.
It was 100% effective on some tests on coronavirus case in France. it's approved now for compassion use, meaning if the patient is bad enough and patient and doctor agree to use it even though it doesn't have fda approve for coronavirus as of yet. Trump is asking for a rush from FDA, and of course they want to take months to do their trials but said they will be allowing it's use as they go through the trials. It's not a new drug, been around for decades so they already know a lot about it, the trials is using it just for the purpose of this virus. FDA needs to be working 24/7 to get this done.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
A week later and it looks like Louisiana has been one of the hardest-hit states on a per-capita basis with nearly 300 cases, 2/3rds of them being in New Orleans.
Including NO Saints head coach Sean Payton, who was diagnosed immediately after he returned from Hot Springs, Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas