Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 08:55 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,618,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
You go Hollynla! Kinda mouthy but I like it.
My husband says you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 11:46 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Just a reminder to all, don't forget to help your local restaurants as much as you can: Many, at least here NWA are open for curb side pick up or home delivery. We all want locals to stay in business so order from them or buy gift cards. We intend on getting curb side pick up every Sat for dinner until this world disaster is over and none of us know when we can return to normal lives again.

Our church will hold service tomorrow but after that, all church activities including Sunday service will be cancelled until further notice. I am so afraid this will involve Easter Sunday.

Last edited by nmnita; 03-21-2020 at 12:08 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 12:37 PM

383 posts, read 393,387 times
Our church and many others have taken to live streaming on facebook. Not the same as being present, but still an encouragement.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Our church and many others have taken to live streaming on facebook. Not the same as being present, but still an encouragement.
I believe something like that will be started at our church as well next week.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:57 AM

8,600 posts, read 4,428,442 times
Quote:
Right now, my congregation is techo illiterate and kinda backwoods.
My own knowledge of streaming and stuff is limited, as I am mostly
a "text only" guy.
But now, I have to get them into podcasting

My Challenge:
On the pastor's end of it, I need to acquire a mic and recording device.
Then find a place other than facebook to upload it.
(Some of us Will Not Do Facebook.)
On the congregational side, how do they find it and listen to it?

Should be doable. 35 years ago, I was a tech geek

Old 03-22-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I believe something like that will be started at our church as well next week.
Actually ours is starting here today at 10am. It will be set up so we can hear it all on the net. We have a excellent audio set up at church and apparently a low of work has gone into the prep: well let you know how it turns out later today. Prayers to all of you. Let's hope we do not have to go to church via our computers too many more weeks. Or maybe we will all get spoiled and learn to like watching church on the net and not having to go out of the house.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:11 AM

We live streamed on facebook last week. All it took was a phone on a tripod. While facebook is not a primary medium for storage of recordings it did receive about 2 magnitudes of order more viewings when compared to those who viewed from the church website. It also easily offered the live streaming capability. I'm sure we will all figure this out as time moves forward.

I agree about Facebook. I only have 12 friends, limited to family.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:40 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,618,665 times
There are some varying predictions about the peak of infections. Gov. Hutchinson said yesterday 6 to 8 weeks, NY gov said 22 to 32 days.

My question with these numbers is if the incubation time is 2 to 14 days, with 4 days being the most common, and people are for the most part at home to slow the spread, businesses are closed, schools are closed, NY is on stay at home rule, et. why would it take so long to reach peak of infection? I would guess more of the 2 week timeframe.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
There are some varying predictions about the peak of infections. Gov. Hutchinson said yesterday 6 to 8 weeks, NY gov said 22 to 32 days.

My question with these numbers is if the incubation time is 2 to 14 days, with 4 days being the most common, and people are for the most part at home to slow the spread, businesses are closed, schools are closed, NY is on stay at home rule, et. why would it take so long to reach peak of infection? I would guess more of the 2 week timeframe.
There will be quite a few folks still working, being out and about. Our healthcare workers for one example. Law enforcement for another. The military for a third. The infections will continue to spread in these working folks even if the rest of the population listens to the orders given. Any human encounter is a potential new infection at this point. Even the packages you receive can carry the virus at this point. Door deliveries need to be treated as such.

On a lighter note, I learned that Churches are closed in Illinois, not deemed essential by the governor. Therefore, the live stream will be performed from the homes of our Pastor and Worship leader. Another plus to using Facebook as not every church has the capability of having a studio and bandwidth for live feeds at their homes. Almost everyone has acces to FB on their phones.

I imagine that AR will be locked down in the coming weeks, if not sooner.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:46 AM

8,600 posts, read 4,428,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I think that is irrationally optimistic.

Quote:
I am in agreement with explorearkansas for the answer to this. Sort of.

Quote:
There will be quite a few folks still working, being out and about. Our healthcare workers for one example. Law enforcement for another. The military for a third. The infections will continue to spread in these working folks even if the rest of the population listens to the orders given. Any human encounter is a potential new infection at this point. Even the packages you receive can carry the virus at this point. Door deliveries need to be treated as such.
You said it:
"Any human encounter is a potential new infection at this point."
Frankly that is true at any point, with this virus, except when the encounter is with someone who was recently infected. I don't see where the peak will come in two weeks, or ten weeks. I plan to be in this for the long haul. (Christmas, anyone?) I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I don't count on it.

Quote:
On a lighter note, I learned that Churches are closed in Illinois, not deemed essential by the governor. Therefore, the live stream will be performed from the homes of our Pastor and Worship leader. Another plus to using Facebook as not every church has the capability of having a studio and bandwidth for live feeds at their homes. Almost everyone has acces to FB on their phones.
Not surprised. I am from IL. They believe that Government Is Their God. Hence the 1st amendment only gives the right to worship the government. Glad to have escaped. My family didn't and are now trapped behind the watery curtain (river).

Quote:
I imagine that AR will be locked down in the coming weeks, if not sooner.
I don't think so. AR is not IL. As a matter of fact, They AR quite well. (/punny)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas