Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:22 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times

Advertisements

NWA is the least humid place in Arkansas but they also have a harsher winter. NWA has more of a humid continental than a humid subtropical climate.

Quote:
I have a friend in Benton, Arkansas so I should ask him about his weather. Not sure where in the state that is though.
Benton is in the Little Rock metro which is much more humid than NWA, but winters are pretty mild down here. We had one snow this year and it was in March. It is also noticable rainier than western Arkansas. Southward and eastward from Little Rock has more of a deep south feel while the entire northwest 1/4 of the state is the Ozark mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 08:09 PM

17 posts, read 72,198 times
Are poisonous snakes much of a problem in NW Arkansas?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:48 PM

369 posts, read 1,301,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janegone View Post
Are poisonous snakes much of a problem in NW Arkansas?
Snakes aren't a "problem" anywhere. They are more afraid of us than we are of them, so they usually try to stay away from areas that humans congregate. It's funny that you mentioned snakes, because I just ran upon a water moccasin aka cottonmouth today while cutting along a corner of my yard that I rarely go to. We ran from each other, but I admit that I started first!

Last edited by North Pulaski Player; 04-26-2008 at 11:25 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 04:57 AM

395 posts, read 1,363,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
all of arkansas is humid, one thing about arkansas is one can never predict the weather, usually in NEA we dont get alot of snow, but we do get ice.
Arkansas weather Arkansas weather forecast weather in Arkansas
Yes I agree! Also some people wee saying NWA is the best...I grew up there and yea..very humid...and some winters there is a fair amount of snow..not a ton but a fair amount.
The more I read the OP I thought...THAT IS SEATTLE! I have been up here for the past three years....And you described it to a T. There is no humidity...and there could be one or two days of a light dusting of snow...IF ANY.... As far as AR goes there is a good amount of humidity..(which I personally like) BUT it does get pretty intense sometimes. hope this helped a little..

Old 04-27-2008, 12:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Humidity is relavent to what you are accustom to I beleive. We moved to NM to escape the humidity in Texas and now are moving back into it, but it appears NWA has shorter, cooler summers. That is what made texas so bad, high humidty coupled with very long and very hot summers. Before moving to Texas we spend 7 years in the DC area, yes, it is very humid and sometimes it got to us, but the good thing, like NWA the summers didn't often get much above the mid 90s and the hot weather didn't start til mid June, unlike Texas where it starts almost now and continues into October with many days above 100%

Nita

Old 04-30-2008, 01:04 PM

635 posts, read 1,746,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
And hurricanes also scare me.. but I have heard good things about NC. I wonder if it's humid though because I've heard that also.
North Carolina is very humid, you'll feel like your in a sauna. When you walk outside with glasses, they will fog up immediately.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 21,817 times
Default Back To The Point

I live in the River Valley and have since '92. If we get ONE snow a year we are lucky. In that time there has only been once that snow stayed on the ground for more than one day.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 14,776 times
Arkansas doesn't get a lot of snow, especially in the lower elevations. We do, however, get lots of ice. Either way it's like Armageddon at the stores for a predicted inch. And it's usually wrong, to boot. Meteorologists here can predict a tornado a week in advance but can't predict winter precip for anything!

That being said, we do have a nice mix of weather here. And racism. It's about as equal as other states I've been to, so I won't linger on that, only say it does exist, but not terrible.

Arkansas has nice spring and falls, summer it's equal to that of Texas or Louisiana (meaning it's hotter than hell). You walk outside and your glasses fog up immeadiately. You are covered in sweat the second you walk outside. It is a true sauna.

Winter is usually mild, but we just went through a bitterly cold season. We are known for our world-class duck hunting, so it's gotta be cold here. It's not unbearable, however. I'm talking Little Rock may get down to 14 or so, but that is very rare. If you live in the higher elevations (less civilized, though) it can an has gotten down to 0.

If you want a good idea of central Arkansas weather, look for deep south summers, Midwest winters.

Wherever you end up, good luck! Thanks for considering Arkansas and realizing were not backwards hicks stuck in the 1800s.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 AM

99 posts, read 301,546 times
Hmmmm I agree and disagree both with a lot of what is being said in this thread so I'll provide my two cents which I hope helps the OP a little.

NWA is the coldest part of the state hands down - that where I've lived a great deal of my lifetime. People who aren't used to snow complain a little a first but it's honestly next to nothing. We have 2-3 "big" snows a year so when you see our snow averages that's where it's coming from. The typical winter day is 45 hi, 25 low I would say. Ice is an issue far more than snow but usually goes away after a day or two.

The rest of Arkansas is much more humid than NWA. NWA has a fairly average humidity. It's not rare in the summer for it to be 85 at night with 85% humidity (feels awful!!). But if you've ever been to Riverfest in Little Rock (right on the river) for a concert or anything like that...it's so much worse - change those 8's to 9's.

In short, I would say NWA might be best for you but I'm not sure because it might be colder than what you're looking for. It depends if the cold or humidity bother you more.

It's funny one of the posters mentioned Seattle. Seattle is ideal for what you're looking for in terms of the winter temps (typical winter day is 50 hi, 35 lo) but the humidity during the winter is amazingly hi. Seattle actually has lots of mold issues due to the winter humidity. You always hear it rains a lot in Seattle but not really. It's more of a mist that happens all fall/winter/spring and the summer is very dry and sunny with highs in the upper 70s, lower 80s.

Keep checking around, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

PS/FYI - North Carolina is god-awful humid

Old 06-24-2010, 08:26 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I live in Minnesota and have been researching places to re-locate to for over 10 years.

I have come to the conclusion that once I leave MN and search southward, humidity rises dramatically.

Yes, I would like a place with mild winters, lush green summers with low humidity ( huimidity around mid 30's) but realize no place like that exists-------within my budget.

I have been using city-data to check out areas south of me and now realized if I can find a place where the afternoon humidity averages in the 50's, it is better than places that average above 60% afternoon humidity all summer long.

It does seem elevation ( in NW AR and NE Alabama ) can knock about 10 points off the humidity.

mid 50's humidity still is humid for me, but it beats humidity in the 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas