Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2020, 08:18 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,281,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Wow, you certainly have a totally misconception of AR. The state has always been poor but less so today than in years past. There are areas, some very rural that do suffer from decent education, lack of medical care and lack of jobs, but this is the case in any rural state, which is what AR is.

The unemployment rate is very low, compared to many states, do you realize that? The job market for both low end jobs and middle management jobs is very good, especially in much of Little Rock and all of NWA. It is one of the best there is. I have no idea where you grew up but maybe as a kid you lived in a kid's lala land world because things have improved over the last 20 or 30 years.

Did you take any time to visit with those people that you thought looked like the were down and out? Are you aware of the growth rate here? What is a living wage to you? The cost of living in AR is very low.

Medical care is improving all the time with some very good hospitals including Children's hospital in Little Rock with a new campus in NWA.

I personally know several kids who are AR grads and have chosen to stay in the state. They have been offered good paying jobs. You don't consider major corporations like WalMart, Tyson, or JP Hunt companies the type of businesses that attract middle and upper middle class workers, not to mention some companies headquartered in Little Rock? WE happen to know 2 families who, just in the past few months that have re-located here: one is a lawyer and his family.They moved here from Colorado and another family from Sad CA. The husband is a doctor. One of these families live in NO Little Rock and the other, here in NWA.

One of the top schools, Haas academy has been rated in the top 50 private or semi private schools in the country. I could go on, but I think I have given enough examples.
You live in the most progressive part of the state where people have more money and education. It's not like that in the places around the state. Private schools since those with money can afford a better education. The public schools and how they compare is where you get a better picture of what is going on. Many areas of the state look really run down in comparison to how they used to look. It's not just the aging process, it's the lack of maintenance and pride in ownership. It's sad to see. There are a lot of abandoned buildings that that are decaying due to neglect.

One of the past threads mentioned litter along the roadways. IIRC, you disagreed with that poster. We drove I40 from Little rock to Fort Smith. There were significant amounts of litter along the interstate. One area around Conway had been picked up and the bags of trash were waiting to be picked up by maintenance crews. Other areas looked like someone had dumped loose trash in the bed of their pickup truck and it flew out as they were driving down the highway. It looked really bad.

Walmart, Tyson, and JB Hunt have their place, but they are limited in appeal. Arkansas doesn't have the jobs for STEM careers and has lost many of the ones they did have. Rural state or not, it needs more diversity to be successful. I agree that Amazon will be great for some people who want a career without a major investment in training. Arkansas messed up that opportunity with FEDEx years ago.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You live in the most progressive part of the state where people have more money and education. It's not like that in the places around the state. Private schools since those with money can afford a better education. The public schools and how they compare is where you get a better picture of what is going on. Many areas of the state look really run down in comparison to how they used to look. It's not just the aging process, it's the lack of maintenance and pride in ownership. It's sad to see. There are a lot of abandoned buildings that that are decaying due to neglect.

One of the past threads mentioned litter along the roadways. IIRC, you disagreed with that poster. We drove I40 from Little rock to Fort Smith. There were significant amounts of litter along the interstate. One area around Conway had been picked up and the bags of trash were waiting to be picked up by maintenance crews. Other areas looked like someone had dumped loose trash in the bed of their pickup truck and it flew out as they were driving down the highway. It looked really bad.

Walmart, Tyson, and JB Hunt have their place, but they are limited in appeal. Arkansas doesn't have the jobs for STEM careers and has lost many of the ones they did have. Rural state or not, it needs more diversity to be successful. I agree that Amazon will be great for some people who want a career without a major investment in training. Arkansas messed up that opportunity with FEDEx years ago.
Obviously we totally disagree on this. I am aware that where we live in different from some parts of AR. We are all aware there are poor schools and areas that need better jobs and better medical facilities. I have addressed that and I too, have traveled throughout the state. I was taken back by the poverty in some local As I mentioned, this part of living in a rural state, but, from what I have heard, AR is much better than the state was many years ago.

You talk about manufacturing jobs: when we stop sending them to other companies thing might improve. Our president is trying to bring jobs back to America.

I think probably enough has been said: you have your views, I respect them and some are based on truth, but most of them are a bit slanted with no answers.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:20 AM

152 posts, read 104,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
President Donald Trump 2020 make liberals cry again, Don Jr. 2024 keep them crying.
It's funny you said this because I have a banner on the front of my house that says Donald Trump 2020~The Sequel~Make Liberals Cry again! It's 4'X 18' and we have it on our upper lanai railing. We live in a stilt home so everyone sees it.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:26 AM

152 posts, read 104,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
All the talk about going back to the good ole days....
I don't think Conservatives are less tolerant, if anything I think the majority of Conservatives are very open and very tolerant. What they are intolerant of is the Seattle/Portland type of activity and the seemingly lack of any desire to work across the aisle from the Left.

Times have changed and you surely can't say it is for the better. I wanted to come to Arkansas for 2 weeks in Sept. and I can't plan my exploritory trip until I see what is happening with certain groups that like to have organized "events". I used to be able to plan vacations and not have to worry about things like this. So do I wish we could go back to the "good ole days" yes, I do.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:55 AM

8,922 posts, read 4,626,235 times
Quote:

You may not be aware of it, but when there are a lot of people moving to an area "without a major investment in training" those people are going to need electricians, plumbers, mechanics, nurses, doctors, and (because we can't all get along) lawyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSRQ View Post
...I wanted to come to Arkansas for 2 weeks in Sept. and I can't plan my exploritory trip until I see what is happening with certain groups that like to have organized "events". I used to be able to plan vacations and not have to worry about things like this. So do I wish we could go back to the "good ole days" yes, I do.
Plan to stay in smaller cities, and plan to stay in the suburbs.
The riots are always in the centers of large cities.
At least they are, this year.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:30 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,281,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
You may not be aware of it, but when there are a lot of people moving to an area "without a major investment in training" those people are going to need electricians, plumbers, mechanics, nurses, doctors, and (because we can't all get along) lawyers.

Plan to stay in smaller cities, and plan to stay in the suburbs.
All of those folks need a fair amount of training. You can't walk in off the street and do them.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:19 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,746,947 times
Quote:

Yeah, more stuff to loot there.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:14 AM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSRQ View Post
I don't think Conservatives are less tolerant, if anything I think the majority of Conservatives are very open and very tolerant. What they are intolerant of is the Seattle/Portland type of activity and the seemingly lack of any desire to work across the aisle from the Left.

Times have changed and you surely can't say it is for the better. I wanted to come to Arkansas for 2 weeks in Sept. and I can't plan my exploritory trip until I see what is happening with certain groups that like to have organized "events". I used to be able to plan vacations and not have to worry about things like this. So do I wish we could go back to the "good ole days" yes, I do.
The left calls themselves "progressives". But what they are progressing towards is destruction.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:40 PM

8,922 posts, read 4,626,235 times
Quote:
All of those folks need a fair amount of training. You can't walk in off the street and do them.
Yep, that means we need to attract them from other places.
And train a few, ourselves.
I have, in the past four years, already seen significant growth in these fields, in my local area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
]The left calls themselves "progressives". But what they are progressing towards is destruction.
Always.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Yep, that means we need to attract them from other places.
And train a few, ourselves.
I have, in the past four years, already seen significant growth in these fields, in my local area.

Always.
What some do not realize is: we do have plenty of jobs for unskilled and untrained workers. That is one reason our unemployment rate is so low. Many are trained on the job. yes, they make min wage, but isn't that the case in any state. Not everyone can expect to make a living wage as the expression goes. If that were the case we would not be able to afford to live or the cost of everything would be so high the living wage would double.
You understand the situation perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas