Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2020, 02:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not meaning to generalize, but throughout this and a few other threads it does appear the left are more more inclined to post snarky remarks about those who disagree with them. Of course there are those on both sides that can be a bit over the top, but I see it a lot more on the left and the poster I was responding to was down right tacky; referring to you pappy and grand pappy was slapping those from the rural areas in the face making fun of how some may talk or indicating they are back woods or something. At least that is how I took it.

There are some on here that think they are being funny but they are being insulting. When I think of you, I don't see it that way. We differ politically 90% of the time: That does not mean I think you fall the mean, tacky group
I guess what one gleans from this thread is that their perspective really controls how they read things. While there have been some lefties posting some snark, the majority of insults have come from conservatives about liberals.

It's not liberals versus normal. Liberals are just as normal as conservatives. Both sides have nutty extremists.

Liberals don't just parrot the media. Liberals can think as well as conservatives. We can think, reason, and do research.

Liberals aren't demented.

Liberals aren't mentally ill.

And I have had some direct attacks leveled at me. Evidently in an effort to drive me off this thread. I think that's egregious. But I always love hearing your thoughts, Nita. Even though we might disagree, you have a way of posting that's very inclusive. And I LOVE hearing you talking about canning and putting up tomatoes and pickles and relishes. It reminds me of my grandmother, and late summer, Ball jars and lots of steam.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:42 PM

12 posts, read 6,411 times
hi all. been reading the Arkansas site for a while. bought my retirement property there a few years ago.i think somewhere around the trex guy. anyway, to the original question, i don't think Arkansas going to change anytime soon. i'm moving there too, to get away from the craziness. what i did was buy enough land where you don't have neighbors near by in a rural area. then it doesn't matter much what goes on around you. so far every one i met has been very nice. unfortunately the conservative and liberal thing is not going to get better, so taking my wife and i out of the line of fire.

Old 08-13-2020, 04:25 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machineman View Post
hi all. been reading the Arkansas site for a while. bought my retirement property there a few years ago.i think somewhere around the trex guy. anyway, to the original question, i don't think Arkansas going to change anytime soon. i'm moving there too, to get away from the craziness. what i did was buy enough land where you don't have neighbors near by in a rural area. then it doesn't matter much what goes on around you. so far every one i met has been very nice. unfortunately the conservative and liberal thing is not going to get better, so taking my wife and i out of the line of fire.
Welcome aboard. I left Central Texas for much the same reason.

After our country shook its fist in God's face (2012) the crime rate around my old city more than tripled. Plus, I realized that I lived 30 miles from the nearest reliable water source, should the grid go down.

You are right, things are not going to get better. The Left is hell bent on destroying the country to remake it in the image of China or Russia, and they are in control of a lot of the media. Any time we get a little better intel on their plans and actions they call us conspiracy theorists. (There are conspiracy theories out there, but we, conservatives need to be vetting each other, and ignore the banshee screams of the Left.)

Old 08-13-2020, 04:35 PM

152 posts, read 104,399 times
Well looks like this has spun out of control and clearly I am offending some of you since I am not from Arkansas. This was not my intention so I am off. Thank you to those of you who answered my questions. I do appreciate your kindness.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:04 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSRQ View Post
Well looks like this has spun out of control and clearly I am offending some of you since I am not from Arkansas. This was not my intention so I am off.
You don’t have to be living in AR to participate in this forum. I’ve been a regular in here for 5 years without actually living there. Most of the AR residents in here have no problem with that.....a couple do, but too bad for them. There are at least 6 or 7 other out of staters who are also regulars in here. My issue was with you telling someone that actually does live there that they were intruding on a thread you started just because they disagreed with you politically. You can’t start a thread and then expect only people who agree with you to participate, especially if they live in the area you’re discussing and you don’t. That’s obnoxious. I have no problem with you being interested in relocating to AR.... I share the same dream, but my dream is based on a plethora of time and experiences my family and I have enjoyed there, while you just seem to be looking to completely wall yourself off from an entire segment of society.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:11 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
My issue was with you telling someone that actually does live there that they were intruding on a thread you started just because they disagreed with you politically.
But the truth is, they (six of them, and not all of those from AR, within the first 100 posts to this thread) did intrude on the thread because they disagreed with her (and me) politically.

Quote:
while you just seem to be looking to completely wall yourself off from an entire segment of society.
when there is a segment of society intent on either enslaving or murdering you, walling yourself off from them isn't all that illogical. What is obnoxious is for that segment of society, intent on enslaving or murdering you, to tell you that you shouldn't wall yourself off from them.

Old 08-14-2020, 05:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
When I first read your message - hastily, I admit - I thought you were addressing one of the many far right posters here who have unrelentingly attacked, made unpleasant, presumptuous, and rude personal comments about the very few moderates who still post here.

Alas - you were not.

Sad. Courteous discussion should include respect for others, regardless of differing political views.

(Once again, my Arkansas roots go back five generations, despite my present residence elsewhere).
You do realize this goes both ways don't you? I have seen a few very tacky comments on this thread as well as few others from the left Not only do those comments refer to politics in AR, but are direct insults based on an idea someone has about our state and surrounding states. Often these people have no idea what they are even talking about

Old 08-14-2020, 05:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
More and more, it isn't just people from Arkansas who come here to post snarky comments, they come from all over the US, to ridicule us. I am tired of their behavior. I used to be very live and let live, but over the past several years, as the attacks on us have become more common and more vile, and more violent, I am deliberately becoming less and less tolerant.

This is why, now, when anyone posts that they want to move here, or even ask for advice (see note) about any serious subject, I do a background check on them. It isn't that I want to treat them as the enemy, it is that they have made themselves the enemy. All it takes is looking at their posting background to see what kind of person we are dealing with. In the case of the guy who posted about our "pappy," he is beingexactly the kind of guy I posted about, at the beginning of this thread, parroting Demoncrat talking points.

(NOTE: On another thread, yesterday I think, I found that someone deliberately moved to where she would have a problem, and then wanted to know what to do about it. She got insulted when I told her to move.)

This was a thread about someone wanting to move here and not having to put up with that kind of zzzz, but certain people wouldn't leave it alone, constantly trying to justify why that kind of zzzz is good and wholesome, so I put at least one of them on "ignore." Seems like a couple more have decided to jump in, and explain why zzzz is ok, just a different way of thinking (sorry, but when they loot chicago and set fire to buildings in Seattle and Portland, it isn't just a different way of thinking).
Agree with you on this full heartedly

Old 08-14-2020, 06:30 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
But the truth is, they (six of them, and not all of those from AR, within the first 100 posts to this thread) did intrude on the thread because they disagreed with her (and me) politically.

when there is a segment of society intent on either enslaving or murdering you, walling yourself off from them isn't all that illogical. What is obnoxious is for that segment of society, intent on enslaving or murdering you, to tell you that you shouldn't wall yourself off from them.
I have always taken issue with relocating somewhere for solely political purposes. You can go back in the archives and dig up many posts of mine that will corroborate this. I don’t deny that the current/prevailing conservative climate of Arkansas appeals to me and that it would be ONE of the reasons I’d want to move there, but it would never be the only reason. That’s not a healthy way to be thinking and I don’t think it’s a road we should start going down.....because like I said, there’s going to be an awful lotta disappointed folks moving only to eventually wind up singing the same tune when they discover you can’t outrun the madness of this world.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:17 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, but enslave or murder you??? What hyperbole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas