Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 03:37 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Duly noted.

No reason to get upset over differences of opinion.
Your opinion is always the same. There is no way you are such an expert on every town/city in the entire state, enough that you stick your two cents in every single time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 05:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in Arkansas. Lived there as an adult. Became more familiar with Harrison in recent years.
It’s nothing to get upset over. We’re all here spouting out opinions, which are all legitimate.
Some of us do wonder what your game is. You say you were raised here and perhaps you were, but this may have been when the state was a little different than now or something just hit you so wrong that you can't think of many positive things to say about the state and your views are so slanted it would be hard for many to take what you post too seriously. You do have your opinion which is fine. We live in a wonderful free country, but you could be a little more objective.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:14 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Some of us do wonder what your game is. You say you were raised here and perhaps you were, but this may have been when the state was a little different than now or something just hit you so wrong that you can't think of many positive things to say about the state and your views are so slanted it would be hard for many to take what you post too seriously. You do have your opinion which is fine. We live in a wonderful free country, but you could be a little more objective.
No doubt this forum is the twilight zone.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:58 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Newton County falls into most of what you want except some of it can be an hour of more to town. We have no building codes or permits and even off grid homesteading is allowed. I know many who live off grid here.

Shhhhh!

Old 07-20-2020, 02:03 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
Personally I'd avoid Harrison as well. It just has a weird vibe to it.

I like Harrison. Beautiful country all around, nice little downtown. I especially like the Town House Cafe on the square for breakfast.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:52 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Shhhhh!
LoL !
Yes, we should keep that a secret, to be discussed only by DM with those we have vetted.
(Actually, I have begun to think this way about quite a bit of stuff we discuss here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I like Harrison. Beautiful country all around, nice little downtown. I especially like the Town House Cafe on the square for breakfast.
I think Harrison, once upon a time, had a bad rep.
I had an old (retired) truck driver tell me is wasn't such a nice place,
before I moved up here, but after I moved, he drove through it a couple
more times and said it wasn't bad.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:35 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,344 times
Is is for us. Thursday we're finalizing our sale in Louisiana. This weekend we're heading up to check out a few houses. Again...hehehe...

We're very nervous and excited. Nervous because it's our huge step. Moving away from home. Our comfort. But we're tired of it. We've traveled to many states. Saw many beautiful areas. When we finally traveled to Arkansas, we found our place. It has the geographies we love, the mountains, hills, forests, waterfalls...not far from our families. Just in case an emergency just so happen. God forbid anytime soon. Most, if not all the people we met are very nice. Especially you guys here in the Arkansas forum that has helped me with different information.

Also, we're nervous about landing a job. Unfortunately I've read a few posts in here, somewhere, there's a good ol boy syndrome in some areas and that makes some jobs hard to come by. We would love to live in a rural setting not too far from the real world for jobs. We won't be too much in a hurry to land one yet, we're planning on buying a cheap, livable house where we can fix up, at the same time getting settled in. I've read that you guys are welcoming to strangers as well. We like to keep to ourselves pretty much. But that's here. Due to my PTSD and anxiety, big crowds ain't it for me. I'm a huge introvert as well. I'm hoping with a change of scenery and basically new life, things will change for me, for the best. My wife is pretty outgoing. How she puts up with me, I don't know. Haha...

I have a question about residency. How long do we have to live there before we can change our license and all to be considered a resident? Also do we need to bring any electricity or other bills with our name and new address? Or can we just bring our deed to the DMV?

Any help, input, towns to check out would be appreciated. We're interested in Hot Springs, Ft.Smith, Conway areas. Even saw a few homes in Cherokee Village. But I can't find too much recent information on CV....

Thank you again, Dean

Old 07-22-2020, 05:52 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,651,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Is is for us. Thursday we're finalizing our sale in Louisiana. This weekend we're heading up to check out a few houses. Again...hehehe...

We're very nervous and excited. Nervous because it's our huge step. Moving away from home. Our comfort. But we're tired of it. We've traveled to many states. Saw many beautiful areas. When we finally traveled to Arkansas, we found our place. It has the geographies we love, the mountains, hills, forests, waterfalls...not far from our families. Just in case an emergency just so happen. God forbid anytime soon. Most, if not all the people we met are very nice. Especially you guys here in the Arkansas forum that has helped me with different information.

Also, we're nervous about landing a job. Unfortunately I've read a few posts in here, somewhere, there's a good ol boy syndrome in some areas and that makes some jobs hard to come by. We would love to live in a rural setting not too far from the real world for jobs. We won't be too much in a hurry to land one yet, we're planning on buying a cheap, livable house where we can fix up, at the same time getting settled in. I've read that you guys are welcoming to strangers as well. We like to keep to ourselves pretty much. But that's here. Due to my PTSD and anxiety, big crowds ain't it for me. I'm a huge introvert as well. I'm hoping with a change of scenery and basically new life, things will change for me, for the best. My wife is pretty outgoing. How she puts up with me, I don't know. Haha...

I have a question about residency. How long do we have to live there before we can change our license and all to be considered a resident? Also do we need to bring any electricity or other bills with our name and new address? Or can we just bring our deed to the DMV?

Any help, input, towns to check out would be appreciated. We're interested in Hot Springs, Ft.Smith, Conway areas. Even saw a few homes in Cherokee Village. But I can't find too much recent information on CV....

Thank you again, Dean
Hi Dean, I know you're from SWLA. If you're wanting to get further away from the bad humidity (like we were coming from SELA), consider further north in AR. How about Huntsville, Harrison, Mountain Home. Being further north helps but also the elevation tends to be higher and that makes a big difference. I made sure I was as high as I could find, so I'm sitting on top a mountain at 2150' elevation. It has all the geographic things you like and probably has more and close to national forest, hiking, river, hunting, being near a town without large cities etc. As for your license, as soon as you have a residence, you can get it changed. The deed should be enough. You might want to get something from your current electric company stating you've paid your last year on time so you can avoid deposit. You'll want to change your car insurance quickly since it will be half of what you pay in LA (mine was 60% less but one of ours is commercial which was the biggest difference).

Old 07-24-2020, 05:28 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Hi Dean, I know you're from SWLA. If you're wanting to get further away from the bad humidity (like we were coming from SELA), consider further north in AR. How about Huntsville, Harrison, Mountain Home. Being further north helps but also the elevation tends to be higher and that makes a big difference. I made sure I was as high as I could find, so I'm sitting on top a mountain at 2150' elevation. It has all the geographic things you like and probably has more and close to national forest, hiking, river, hunting, being near a town without large cities etc. As for your license, as soon as you have a residence, you can get it changed. The deed should be enough. You might want to get something from your current electric company stating you've paid your last year on time so you can avoid deposit. You'll want to change your car insurance quickly since it will be half of what you pay in LA (mine was 60% less but one of ours is commercial which was the biggest difference).

Thank you very much for the reply. You helped me with some pointers. All part of some "things to take care of" before heading up with all of our belongings.

I broke the news to my mom and sister yesterday. My sister cried after we left. She did say that they are interested in following us up there as well. I became excited because I would miss them terribly. Especially my lil nephew. I don't see them much, unfortunately, but when I do, I make it worthwhile. (I even have him as a beneficiary on my insurance). That's how much I love him and enjoy our time together. I'm HIS Nonky! Haha...

I even sent her pictures I took around Arkansas and that further cemented their decision. She said she absolutely loves the pictures of the mountains and fall colors.

My reply? That's why we've chosen Arkansas. Has everything we were looking for.

I would rep you, but I need to spread some reputation around. So, here you are! Rep rep rep rep rep rep rep

Old 11-01-2020, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,168 times
Default Be Careful What You Wish For

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I don't live in AR (as so many in here love to constantly point out), but my family and I have been enamored with the state for 5 years now and hope to be there permanently someday. We visit as often as we can and for your situation I would recommend Madison County, particularly out around the Huntsville vicinity. Newton County (bordering Madison to the east) is more scenic and rugged, but Madison is still gorgeous and closer to the main population center in NWA. Hwy. 412 runs out there from Springdale and once you're out toward Huntsville (about a 30 minute drive) you don't have to go far in any direction to be totally enveloped in the splendor of the Ozarks, yet still be reasonably close to the I-49 corridor and connected by a major thoroughfare to everything you could want or need. Beaver Lake, which is huge, is also not far away from just about any area of Madison County save maybe the extreme southern portions. Huntsville itself is a super cute small town of about 2,500 that we haven't had the chance to stop and explore yet, but we always love passing through there regardless. That area is right on the cusp of the majestically beautiful Boston Mountains, and you can also get up to Eureka Springs in good time should the mood strike you. We have a lot of special needs with our kids that will likely require us to be much closer to the 49 corridor should we ever make it down there for good, but if we didn't the area I'm describing would definitely be at the top of our list to settle in because of the "one foot in/one foot out" bill it seems like it would fit so well.

Huntsville may look cute, but you need to visit it. I lived in Madison County for 7 years, and was a transplant from Missouri. They don't take kindly to strangers. Very closed minded, racist area of the state. When I lived there pre-2000, town was ran by 5-6 business owners who saw any progress as a threat to their livelihood. And the Courthouse is about to crumble in because they refuse to raise taxes to fix anything.

I would advise anyone thinking of moving there to make sure you can attempt to fit in. I'm not trying to put it down, just want to get some info from what I experienced there so people are aware that it's not as idyllic as it seems on the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas