Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 07:30 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,667,795 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's in their financial best interest, at least not directly.
It's more of a gimmick to attract attention. Everybody does it. There are no political boundaries for this sort of thing.
What it does more than anything is add to the perception that the northwest corner of the state is bike friendly, which would attract a lot more people beyond the 10k giveaway. Not sure why they feel the need to promote considering how fast they're growing. To me it's just a red flag to stay away if growth for the sake of growth is what they're all about. Some people like fast growth, but it's not my thing at all. Rarely ends well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 03:39 PM

86 posts, read 57,973 times
Stumbled across this intriguing process and noticed the results are projected for early 2021. For those selected individuals, or those who applied:

What was the application process like?
Where are you moving from to relocate here?
Why did you want to participate in this?

Would love to hear from those who participated

Old 02-10-2021, 10:39 AM

332 posts, read 217,281 times
Sounds fishy. If an area is nice and desirable , it sells itself.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:26 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,698,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfullizhe View Post
It's marketing. Arkansas like many states in the midwest, south etc have a stereotypical image nationally. Stuff like this get people's attention.

NW Arkansas is a nice area. It's much nicer than I expected for sure. So at least this is a decent area. I mean Topeka did the same thing and that place is a dump.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:48 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,667,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfullizhe View Post
It’s already a fast growing area without the gimmicks.
Whether or not NWA is nice and desirable just depends on what you like. Not my cup of tea at all. Most of the growth can be attributed to Walmart, at least in some round about way.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:55 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,582,736 times
I took a trip through on a cross country trip about a month ago on I-40 and Arkansas is one of the most beautiful places I have personally ever seen. This is intriguing.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:22 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,353,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
I took a trip through on a cross country trip about a month ago on I-40 and Arkansas is one of the most beautiful places I have personally ever seen. This is intriguing.

thank you!

Old 02-10-2021, 03:50 PM

3,810 posts, read 6,392,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
If you thought the areas along 40 were beautiful take a few exits north and south at various points west of Little Rock next time through.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:18 AM

28 posts, read 23,981 times
Deep pockets wallymart doing there best to attract younger work force.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:47 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,259,624 times
This is to attract young professionals who are from either a coastal region or more forward thinking region. NWA is helping to propel the negative stereotype that Arkansas has, once you get outside of Arkansas. You go West, North, or East and we're a laughing stock of a state. NWA is a hotbed for talent and amenities right now. Can't get money in the state fast enough or talent to support the growth. Wal-Mart originally started the growth initiative when they began revamping their website. This brought better talent into the state as the company shifted more of its focus into E-commerce. This region of the state has a lot of room to grow in the real estate market, because many of these workers can split time working remotely and in office.

The one thing that concerns me is the price of construction. When you have lumber increase from $350/1000 board ft to $1,000/1000 board ft in a year, that's concerning. It's been estimated that to build an average size home (per Google in 2018 was 2600 sq ft) has increased $24,000 in (12) months. That can be as much as 10% on new construction. That's a lot of money that could go towards appliances, furniture, flooring, decorations, etc.

It really makes me wonder though. For the people qualifying for houses today, why didn't they want to build 4 or 5 years ago? Most of this growth has to be from relocation. For me, I wouldn't want to build a home when lumber prices are this high. I rather wait it out or purchase a home already on the market, which has also seen a price increase. That is, if I'm not relocating for work and time is on my side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas