Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 11:37 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,492,443 times

Advertisements

At least do a Google Street View on the house to gather close neighborhood information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 12:54 PM

30 posts, read 26,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EF2 View Post
Hi all!

So we have a house under contract outside of Cabot in a rural subdivision. We are nearing the end of our inspections, repairs, etc., so it is really real now!

Never been to Cabot, or to AR before but we are originally from GA/TN, long ago.

We are moving from the West coast and don't know anyone in AR at all. Looking forward to getting to know AR and so far everyone we've worked with has been so sweet. I mean REALLY sweet. We ain't used to that out here on the west coast.

We chose AR because we miss our southern roots, but had no need to be in our home states. AR has so much beauty. We chose N Central because we felt like NWA housing market was moving just too fast and furious to accomplish an out-of-state/sight-unseen move successfully.

We're conservative, childless, parentless, telecommuters.

I am suddenly nervous. It's a huge move.

Would you be willing to share with me all the loveliness of AR to quell my nerves?
Do you "like" California? Assuming you've spent several years there why are you moving?

Old 01-05-2021, 03:37 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,643,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylfen View Post
Do you "like" California? Assuming you've spent several years there why are you moving?
Looking at their posting history, they are conservatives fleeing Insania.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Looking at their posting history, they are conservatives fleeing Insanity.

I'm conservative so I'm guessing that's why I wouldn't stay either but I didn't want to "presume" A conservative from Cali might not be so conservative in a place like Arkansas.

Old 01-06-2021, 04:25 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,643,011 times
Quote:
I'm conservative so I'm guessing that's why I wouldn't stay either but I didn't want to "presume" A conservative from Cali might not be so conservative in a place like Arkansas.
That crossed my mind a couple times.
I have been saying, for a while, conservatives need to get out of California, yesterday.
I have to wonder why they are still there.

I guess today, I need to start saying:
Conservatives need to get out of the Leftist strongholds, and do it last month.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:32 AM

62,909 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
I have been saying, for a while, conservatives need to get out of California, yesterday.

That's one of the reasons I want out of Calif. Far too many liberals and illegal aliens to. I'm a conservative I don't want to be here anymore.

Old 01-20-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That's one of the reasons I want out of Calif. Far too many liberals and illegal aliens to. I'm a conservative I don't want to be here anymore.
I guess it was a couple of years ago I was talking to a guy who was subbing at the school where I teach. I asked him where he was from (already knowing based on his speech patterns). He told me he was from Cali. I said "oh, that's nice." I asked him why he moved here. He told me he wanted to live in the United States of America again. I just laughed.

I got to know him a little bit over the next year or so. I liked him. However, like most folks like him he just irritated the hell outta' folks. This is a very rural part of a very rural state. He's from California. It isn't his fault. He'd been better off in the Fayetteville area or mebbe' even Little Rock. There are lot's of folks from elsewhere there he can get to know. Much of Arkansas is going to be a place he shouldn't live in. It has nothing to do with his beliefs. It has to do with his mores.

Look, I feel bad for many of the folks who move here. I really do. However, being "conservative" (whatever that means) doesn't mean you're going to like it here. Arkansas natives are notoriously clannish. Usually people who move here just end up alone and lonely.

Good luck to you if you leave Cali. A word of advice wherever you go, don't tell people you're from California. Tell them wherever but don't mention California.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
I guess it was a couple of years ago I was talking to a guy who was subbing at the school where I teach. I asked him where he was from (already knowing based on his speech patterns). He told me he was from Cali. I said "oh, that's nice." I asked him why he moved here. He told me he wanted to live in the United States of America again. I just laughed.

I got to know him a little bit over the next year or so. I liked him. However, like most folks like him he just irritated the hell outta' folks. This is a very rural part of a very rural state. He's from California. It isn't his fault. He'd been better off in the Fayetteville area or mebbe' even Little Rock. There are lot's of folks from elsewhere there he can get to know. Much of Arkansas is going to be a place he shouldn't live in. It has nothing to do with his beliefs. It has to do with his mores.

Look, I feel bad for many of the folks who move here. I really do. However, being "conservative" (whatever that means) doesn't mean you're going to like it here. Arkansas natives are notoriously clannish. Usually people who move here just end up alone and lonely.

Good luck to you if you leave Cali. A word of advice wherever you go, don't tell people you're from California. Tell them wherever but don't mention California.
Anyone moving to Arkansas will be fine. There may be a few clannish people around who are evidently very irritable, but the vast majority of Arkansans are welcoming of newcomers, and subscribe to the MYOB creed.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:35 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,444,722 times
Quote:
Conservatives need to get out of the Leftist strongholds, and do it last month
I wish it were that easy. We're staunch conservatives who live in Minnesota.....certainly one of the leftist strongholds.....but we also have 3 special needs children, one of whom is handicapped. We've wanted to move to Arkansas for 5 years now, but we can't get the services, programs, assistance, specialty medical care, etc. for our children there that we can here.....it just doesn't exist to such an extent there, and believe me I've done the research. I also can't make the kind of money in Arkansas that I can here......and with home prices skyrocketing in NWA in particular that's a bigger deal than it used to be. What I'm getting at is it's not as simple as just "drop everything and run to a red state ASAP" for many of us. There are so many factors that account for where one lives. It could be that one day - perhaps in the near future - the libs make things so bad here that we're forced to leave. They're certainly headed in that direction, as any conservative will readily point out.....but until that day comes or until God brings forth some other miracle, we pretty much have to stay here because it's still the best situation for us. I'm sure there are plenty of other conservatives living in liberal controlled states who would love to leave but can't because it still just isn't the prudent thing to do for them.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:18 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,675 times
Quote:

My extended family is still in California. Leaving is just not that easy.

Several of my cousins work for a local utilities company. Pay is great but it's the pension that is killer. Leaving CA means leaving that pension. They can retire in their 50's and take that pension anywhere.

Same with a few of my cousins who are teachers. After 25 years they are close to six figure salaries, and the pension also is amazing.

All of them own their houses that have appreciated greatly. Many have kids in public CA universities and get in-state tuition.

Then there's the situation with family. Few people want to uproot themselves and leave all friends and family ties. Especially if parents are elderly and will need help soon.

They hate what leftist policies have done. The crime and out-of-control drug addicts who menace the towns and cities they live in is tough to take. But they have to look at the big picture which includes finances, family, and what is offered for their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas