Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 06:19 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Thank you, that answers by questions about humidity in Arkansas. Sounds like northwest Arkansas would be more to my liking. I really don't mind rain either. That's what I miss about So. Calif. not enough rain. I imagine that the winters would be colder up there than in southern Arkansas to. I could deal with that more than high humidity. I do appreciate all of your replies. I'd like to move out of So. Calif. and Arkansas from all that I have read seemed to be the best option.

I know that Hot Springs Village is a retirement and golfers paradise a neighbor of mine moved there recently but hasn't been there long enough to comment much on the humidity, etc.
Hot Springs Village is no different than most of the state, right now the temperature is 40 degrees and 86 percent humidity (rained all day yesterday). Last week during the Christmas weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun) the humidity during the day was in the single digits and one of those days my weather station was reading 1 percent. During the summer months it stays within the 40 to 85 percent range most days but being from south Arkansas it does not bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 08:09 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
You acclimate over time to where ever you live. I grew up in Arkansas and can handle the humid summer better than winter. I moved to the desert for a few years and couldn't understand why the locals were complaining about the humidity. I couldn't even feel it. I was starting to feel it when I moved away a few years later. I live some place that doesn't usually get as hot, but has higher humidity. I go back to Arkansas in the summer, but don't feel nearly as hot as those around me. Interestingly, I can still handle colder weather better than a lot of my neighbors.

I think it is possible that you will find the summers incredibly hot and humid. The humidity will be the hardest part to adjust to. You will figure out a way to deal with the cold because you can always add more layers. If it is snowing or sleeting stay off the roads. Arkansans aren't very good about driving in that.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
that first sentence about the difference in nwa and sea is soooo... true. i have left southeast ark with the air conditioners running day and night, drive to the upper buffalo river in newton county and sit around a campfire.

Yep. We once camped on Magazine in August and froze our butts off during the night.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:40 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Years ago, before the Interstate extended from Ft. Smith to Fayetteville, my family would turn right on 71 at Alma when heading up to visit my Fayetteville aunt. This was also before air conditioning was common in cars. Adjustable side-vents on the front windows helped direct the outside air into the car, which helped.

Some.

Before we'd go another mile past Alma, someone was sure to say how much cooler it was after that north-bound turn. The old road went (and still does go) up through the Boston Mountains, with beautiful forested valley views, lots of curves (my other aunt called them "rocking the baby", and a good many craft and antique shops along the way.

Good times -even minus air conditioning in our Chevy.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:56 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Its more uncomfortable in urban areas than rural areas. Without AC, shade makes lot more difference than altitude. So do prevailing breezes though they can be pretty rare in summer.

There is a reason old houses had high ceilings and windows/doors placed strategically.

Dont misunderstand, Arkansas has hot HUMID summers like anywhere in deep south. So do some midwestern states further north, they just have shorter summers. They didnt used to say "good corn growin' weather" for nothing.

Have experienced some super drought summers where its dust and brown vegetation, once it gets to that point, you actually get significant cool off when sun sets, much like in western states. But its been long time since I have seen it that dry. Usually stays humid even when you kick up big clouds of dust on dirt road.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:10 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Its more uncomfortable in urban areas than rural areas. Without AC, shade makes lot more difference than altitude. So do prevailing breezes though they can be pretty rare in summer.

There is a reason old houses had high ceilings and windows/doors placed strategically.

Dont misunderstand, Arkansas has hot HUMID summers like anywhere in deep south. So do some midwestern states further north, they just have shorter summers. They didnt used to say "good corn growin' weather" for nothing.

Have experienced some super drought summers where its dust and brown vegetation, once it gets to that point, you actually get significant cool off when sun sets, much like in western states. But its been long time since I have seen it that dry. Usually stays humid even when you kick up big clouds of dust on dirt road.
Good points. The two largest metro areas in Arkansas, Little Rock and the NWA conglomeration of Fayetteville, Springdale and Rogers, each have areas of higher elevation: Mt. Sequoyah on the east side of Fayetteville, and Pulaski Heights, west of downtown in Little Rock. The small difference in elevation makes a big difference, particularly in Little Rock, whose flat downtown is bordered by the Arkansas River. Pinnacle Mountain is also just west of Little Rock, but it's a state park now, so don't plan on building a cabin there.

Many of the older houses in the Heights have sleeping porches, mature trees, and the high ceilings and windows on all four sides already noted. Front porches also help. Mt Sequoyah is less heavily populated (or at least that was the case when I was last there), but is also cooler than the lower areas, though of course NWA is north of centrally located Little Rock.

So - if you absolutely love Arkansas but can't deal with heat and humidity, look upwards. You just might find what you seek, on higher ground.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:56 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
I've lived among the rice fields in the east, Little Rock, and the Ozarks.
I don't know. I get what people are saying. There can be a nuanced difference in feel from one elevation to the next, but in the grand scheme of things, one area never felt dramatically different over another to me. Certainly not from the Heights to the airport in LR, no offense, and the Ozarks never tricked me into thinking I was up north somewhere.

Sure, Mountain Home on average will get cool air quicker than Dumas especially when the seasons start to change. Elevation might be part of that, but latitudes and jet streams are likely just as much as an influence as those elevation changes.

But hey, don't get me wrong, if those differences are enough to make it worthwhile for a person, that's great. I can certainly see how it might feel like a more dramatic change for someone coming from points further south in Texas or wherever.

To anyone coming from the west, ALL of Arkansas will rudely remind them they're in a more humid climate without question. No worries though, people do adapt if they want to.
At least half the battle is mental. Whether it's Fargo or Shreveport, you just gotta embrace whatever the climate throws at you because life is so much more than the weather. Okay so I don't practice what I preach since heat is one primary reason I don't live in the south anymore. Overcoming mentally is easier said than done.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:32 PM

383 posts, read 400,262 times
One of our visits I recall 104 degrees in July while we were at Petit Jean. All I can say are there are days its better to stay inside. Like today in Central Illinois. 30 degrees with an ice storm.

Last edited by explorearkansas; 01-01-2021 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-02-2021, 07:10 AM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You acclimate over time to where ever you live. I grew up in Arkansas and can handle the humid summer better than winter. I moved to the desert for a few years and couldn't understand why the locals were complaining about the humidity. I couldn't even feel it. I was starting to feel it when I moved away a few years later. I live some place that doesn't usually get as hot, but has higher humidity. I go back to Arkansas in the summer, but don't feel nearly as hot as those around me. Interestingly, I can still handle colder weather better than a lot of my neighbors.

I think it is possible that you will find the summers incredibly hot and humid. The humidity will be the hardest part to adjust to. You will figure out a way to deal with the cold because you can always add more layers. If it is snowing or sleeting stay off the roads. Arkansans aren't very good about driving in that.
I'm originally from Michigan so I can handle winter better than hot, humid or even dry hot summers. I just don't want to live in a real snow belt anymore. Here in So. Calif. I find the hot, dry summers intolerable because it pretty much lasts for 4 months. In Michigan we had humidity in the summer but not that often. I just wonder how much more humid it would be in Arkansas in the summer. Again, I appreciate all of your replies. Want to get out of Calif. for good.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:15 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm originally from Michigan so I can handle winter better than hot, humid or even dry hot summers. I just don't want to live in a real snow belt anymore. Here in So. Calif. I find the hot, dry summers intolerable because it pretty much lasts for 4 months. In Michigan we had humidity in the summer but not that often. I just wonder how much more humid it would be in Arkansas in the summer. Again, I appreciate all of your replies. Want to get out of Calif. for good.
I'm guessing Michigan would be somewhat similar to where I currently live if not a little cooler in the summer.
Here, the heat and humidity might total 10-15 days across the whole summer, with maybe 2-3 days actually resembling what Arkansas sees for a solid 3 months.
5-6 months in Arkansas are usually no-doubt summer. April and May can sometimes be alright in years where the heat hasn't fully come in yet, and all too often the first week or two of October would have me thinking "enough already".
October-November are usually the best months there, and winters are like Michigan springs: a little chilly at times, damp at times, but probably still less snow than MI in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas