Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:28 PM

111 posts, read 503,769 times

Advertisements

Tons of great advice here. Thank you all.

Let me just say that as an American taxpayer I resent having to pay to get decent reception. Who does the FCC work for anyway? Anyone else feel that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 05:22 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,908,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheman View Post
Anyone else feel that way?
I don't. We are going from a set of broadcast standards (NTSC) that have their roots in the 1920's to a set of standards (ATSC) that will take us into the digital age. The majority of us took this as an opportunity to upgrade to HD. For the rare person that is stuck with over-the-air reception and can't afford a new TV, the government did subsidize the converter boxes. For most it was about $10 out of pocket.

-Robert

Old 06-04-2009, 07:27 PM

36 posts, read 111,423 times
Default This is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Zactly.

The girl in S. MO should be getting the Springfield market.

Check my location in Izard, and I'm getting all Springfield stations, Memphis stations, Channel 8 in Jonesboro, and occasionally Little Rock.

I'm running an AntennaCraft HD1850 on 40 feet of Rohn tower with a rotor.

No pre-amp, and unlike some, I don't reccomend a pre-amp. It will increase noise, along with the signal.

I'm thinking that if she has a problem, I'd look first in the coax quality and the connectors. Crimped F connectors and cheap coax have caused more problems than they are worth.

So that would mean someone in Marion county,AR with your exact set-up should get all the Springfield stations.

I am in Se Mo close to Cape Girardeau.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,908,830 times
The Springfield, MO thread is pretty long. Read it backwards. Or search it for your exact city. Either way, look for someone the same distance from the towers as you or someone that lives in your city, preferably in your neighborhood and copy their setup.

-Robert

Old 06-05-2009, 09:24 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,205,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngurl View Post
So that would mean someone in Marion county,AR with your exact set-up should get all the Springfield stations.

I am in SE Mo close to Cape Girardeau.
CG is going to be farther from the Springfield stations than me.

There are mitigating factors that come into play like your starting elevation, obstructions, etc.

If I were in CG county, I'd go for St. Louis.

There's no secret to getting good reception. A big honking antenna (not a technical term), as high as possible, preferebly on a rotor for different areas, *good* RG-6/U coaxial cable, and Thomas & Betts snap-n-seal connectors.

It's the old "Do it once and do it right" thing.

With a good setup, it is really amazing what you can pick up.

Cost wise, here's the ball park:

Antenna $100-140

Rotor Around $80

Coax Around $20-25 for 100 feet.

Connectors, here's the slight rub. T & B snap-n-seals are around 50 cents each in bulk, and the tool to apply them, well.....don't bother if you're not going to be putting a lot of them on. I bought mine quite some time ago and paid $80 for it.

The advisable thing to do about those connectors is to find somebody that works for the cable company in your area, and pay them to put some on. Most all cable companys use snap-n-seals, which is why I still have Thomas & Betts stock.

Yes, the connectors are *that* good.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I am in Se Mo close to Cape Girardeau.
I apologize for skipping the first part of your post.

I don't see any reason that someone in Marion County isn't receiving Springfield staions.

Marion county and cape Girardeau are a long ways apart.

BTW, know anybody that saw that crashed flying saucer there in '41?

http://www.theblackvault.com/wiki/index.php/Cape_Girardeau,_Missouri_(4-1941 (broken link))

just wonderin' ya understand.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtheman View Post
Tons of great advice here. Thank you all.

Let me just say that as an American taxpayer I resent having to pay to get decent reception. Who does the FCC work for anyway? Anyone else feel that way?
Not me.

My son, who lives in Europe, has an apt. in London, and is forced to pay $300 a year tax for each of his two televisions. They enforce it rabidly.

There are many countrys still where one cannot own a television, or they can own a television but not a satellite receiver.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:29 AM

36 posts, read 111,423 times
BTW, know anybody that saw that crashed flying saucer there in '41?

We'e lived here for about 11 years and have not heard about that.

Thanks for all the info. I think I know what most of my problems are now. Oh happy day!! LOL!

Last edited by southerngurl; 06-06-2009 at 06:39 AM..

Old 06-06-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I think I know what most of my problems are now.
Funny how them aliens can mess up the whole darned day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas