Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 09:24 PM

807 posts, read 2,515,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I hope your right with no freeway. I generally take part of route 71 going North instead of 1 540 but with all this new money coming in they have to built freeways somewhere. I hate to see Mena get one. You see once you do like the Indian Turnpike near McAlester, the locals all go to Tulsa instead of staying and shopping in their own home town.
71 is a very scenic road almost all the way through Arkansas. I've been down the whole length of it in the state at some point in time.

I-49 is a LONG way from ever being built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 06:48 PM

19 posts, read 42,844 times
Default Mena tornado question

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if the tornado damaged the Studebaker building? I think it is a museum now but it is only a few blocks from the library and I heard the library took a bad hit.
The Studebaker dealership was owned by my Grandfather and his brother.
Thanks
Kelli

Old 05-07-2009, 02:29 PM

87 posts, read 298,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgrl View Post
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if the tornado damaged the Studebaker building? I think it is a museum now but it is only a few blocks from the library and I heard the library took a bad hit.
The Studebaker dealership was owned by my Grandfather and his brother.
Thanks
Kelli
Globalgrl, You probably have already got the info on the Studebaker building, but since I didn't see a reply here, thought I'd send you this photo. (Hope it shows up.. I seldom put photos up, so I'm a little shakey at it.)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-q3gEYjFBTI/SgND5t03ehI/AAAAAAAABTk/yWd4zcDjDWE/2123868.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-08-2009, 11:12 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassayampa Slim View Post
Globalgrl, You probably have already got the info on the Studebaker building, but since I didn't see a reply here, thought I'd send you this photo. (Hope it shows up.. I seldom put photos up, so I'm a little shakey at it.)
I'm not any good at that either, Slim.

you still in AZ or did you make the move?

Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
I'm not any good at that either, Slim.

you still in AZ or did you make the move?
We're still in AZ, and it was 102 yesterday
During our visit to Mena last Sept we looked at a number of properties, and even made an offer on one, but couldn't reach an agreeable price with the seller. We still have our agent looking, but of course have not heard from her in the last few weeks. We liked this little community so much, that I think we want to wait until it is cleaned back up before we visit again. Even then, I'm sure we will see a lot missing that we enjoyed last year. However, the tornado has not dampened our enthusiasm for Mena. You can drop over from heat stroke or lack of water out here, freeze to death up North, or get blown away by a hurricane on the Gulf Coast; there is no "safe" place. You just pick your place, do what you can to make it home, and let God take care of the rest.
Thanks for asking,
Slim

Old 05-08-2009, 03:31 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,081 times
Quote:
We're still in AZ, and it was 102 yesterday
During our visit to Mena last Sept we looked at a number of properties, and even made an offer on one, but couldn't reach an agreeable price with the seller. We still have our agent looking, but of course have not heard from her in the last few weeks. We liked this little community so much, that I think we want to wait until it is cleaned back up before we visit again. Even then, I'm sure we will see a lot missing that we enjoyed last year. However, the tornado has not dampened our enthusiasm for Mena. You can drop over from heat stroke or lack of water out here, freeze to death up North, or get blown away by a hurricane on the Gulf Coast; there is no "safe" place. You just pick your place, do what you can to make it home, and let God take care of the rest.
Thanks for asking,
Slim
Good luck on that, Slim.

Let us know how things are moving.

You guys and CESpeed have been trying for awhile and I know it's frustrating.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:26 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,379,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebutterfly View Post
Have you visited or lived in Mena Arkansas? What do you like and dislike. When I retire, I may move there.

I have read the history on the net, no need to talk of the past. I'd like to hear what you know in 2008.

What about that new highway? Will to go through Mena? Is it going to follow Rt 71? Are they talking 5 years or more? If I was to buy a house there, I sure wouldn't want to buy right on that highway!
I grew up in Mena a long time ago, but if circumstances permitted, I would retire there but would prefer to live out of town. A few weeks ago a tornado wiped out a large portion of the residential area so houses in town will be hard to find.

I don't think I-49 will be there in my life-time but I understand the right-of-way has been approved and will run along the south edge of town and more-or-less parallel to US 71.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I grew up in Mena a long time ago, but if circumstances permitted, I would retire there but would prefer to live out of town. A few weeks ago a tornado wiped out a large portion of the residential area so houses in town will be hard to find..
Well, I guess it's one "Slim" to another
We just got off the phone with our real estate person and found out that her house was extensively damaged in the tornado. But her home was right in the one mile wide and fourteen mile long path of the damage, so it could have been a lot worse. Many of her neighbors homes were completely destroyed and the three fatalities were in that area as well. We thank the Lord that she was not physically injured, as houses can be rebuilt. So many of the old trees were taken down by the storm and that will change things a lot, including the beautiful Church Street area. But lots of good people in the community, so we're sure they will overcome this tragedy and come out of it a beautiful and friendly place once again.
Slim

Old 05-13-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebutterfly View Post
After the tornado, how is everyone? I have seen the pics, and it is so sad. My heart goes out to you all.
The tornado was BAD! Took out a large portion of the residential area including one house my sister owns and heavy damage to another. When I was there a couple weeks ago I could hear chain saws, skill saws, and hammers all over the place. People are bouncing back. I suspect Wal-Mart almost sold out of blue tarps that were being used for emergency roof covers.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess it's one "Slim" to another
We just got off the phone with our real estate person and found out that her house was extensively damaged in the tornado. But her home was right in the one mile wide and fourteen mile long path of the damage, so it could have been a lot worse. Many of her neighbors homes were completely destroyed and the three fatalities were in that area as well. We thank the Lord that she was not physically injured, as houses can be rebuilt. So many of the old trees were taken down by the storm and that will change things a lot, including the beautiful Church Street area. But lots of good people in the community, so we're sure they will overcome this tragedy and come out of it a beautiful and friendly place once again.
Slim
Yep, and there was another "Arkansas" Slim. My Dad left Mother and me in AR and ended up a working cowboy for the Arizona Land and Cattle Company in Tollison. He then was hired as a Federal and State Livestock and Brand Inspector, moved to Phoenix, then Tucson, then retired and bought a five acre "spread" near Arivaca, where he died in 1996. I started visiting him in the '70s and know AZ from Phoenix south very well.

Anyway, back to Mena. One of Sister's houses was on 7th Street just off the northeast corner of the City Park. During the 1990s tornado the roof blew off the Park Cabin and landed on top of that house. The other house is on 9th Street and one of those huge Oak trees took off one corner of that house during the latest storm.

My family and I wanted to move back to Mena 40 years ago but that was when I was still working for a living and couldn't make it there. As Dad ofter said; "Oh well, what the hell, that's just the way it is."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas