Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 07:31 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorker_in_AR View Post
Hot Springs and Garland county as awhole have a serious methamphetamine drug problem. Lots of addicts as well as meth labs throughout the county and that area of Arkansas. If it tells you anything, the narcotics helpline uses an arial view picture of Hot Springs on their website.
Unfortunately, meth and drugs have made it everywhere. Ive read about a few random meth houses and drug busts even in the gated HSV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,727 times
As others have stated, the drug problem in this area, and Arkansas as a whole is real. Arkansas was named the 2021 Meth capital of the US in a recently published study. We relocated to HSV about a year ago from Texas and when I started paying attention when going out for errands, you really see the problem on the streets in Hot Springs. Healthcare, in my opinion, is dismal at best; certainly sub-par to what is available in large cities in Texas. It is definitely a culture shock moving here. You will be giving up a LOT depending on your priorities and tastes. I will admit we were a bit spoiled in Texas..quick access to good medical care with lots of options, good modern veterinary care for our animals (vets are definitely behind times in Arkansas), a myriad of personal services, plentiful places for shopping, dining out, events, and great roads. The roads are bad in Arkansas, and dangerous with the logging truck traffic. Zoning is not something they understand in Arkansas either, so you'll see a lot of mish mash, trash and mess where people live. I have no idea why with a fairly high state income tax, they can't do something about the trash accumulated on people's properties that you will see literally everywhere. When the trees are bare in winter, you really take note of the trash problem. Depending on where you would be moving from, the climate is tough to get acclimated too. Texas can get Hot as heck, but the humidity in Central Arkansas is awful and lots of pollen, therefore, lots of allergy issues. And as far as cost of living goes, after being here over a year, I find it to no cheaper than Texas, even with the lower property taxes. Gas is higher, food is considerably higher (grocery or eating out), utilities, insurances, etc., all higher, at least in our case. The area is pretty, but again, it depends on what you are looking for.

Old 07-14-2021, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,727 times
Oh and with regard to possibly relocating to HSV, be careful with that choice. The Village, which is where we bought, has money and management issues. They have a huge backlog of deferred maintenance; roads, drainage, buildings, old water lines, sewage, and on and on. They just informed us they need something to the tune of 6-7 million to "catch up". They apparently have had a succession of bad General Managers and Board of Directors that over the years have allowed the infrastructure to deteriorate. Dues will likely double, if not triple, within a year or two along with the fees for usage of any of the amenities. Meanwhile, lots of bickering and political jockeying as to who's in charge. The realtors here do a very good job of not telling you about the problems in the Village.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:37 PM

177 posts, read 120,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Unfortunately, meth and drugs have made it everywhere. Ive read about a few random meth houses and drug busts even in the gated HSV.

It's everywhere, I've lived in 13 states in last 30 years.

Problem w/HSV is that they allowed people to swoop in and buy up houses (which many of those CA and TX owners turned into one step above slumlords-ism.) I'm quite familiar with HSV.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas56 View Post
Oh and with regard to possibly relocating to HSV, be careful with that choice. The Village, which is where we bought, has money and management issues.
That is correct.

This is why on some forums you will find owners there telling you how you should move there.....they need more owners on the tax rolls to cover all the infrastructure costs that are coming down the pike.

30-35 years is a long time......stuff needs updating and the more people they can get into that community the more cost-sharing.

but I've already spoken about how, as a "retirmement community", the ideal of 30-35 years ago is VERY DIFFERENT than what people are looking for today. HSV is entirely auto-dependent. No taxis either.
Even with short cuts, it takes me 45 min. to get to shopping and medical appts. in Hot Springs proper.
And the deer on the roads combined with an aging population with bad reflexes and eyesight is a recipe for disaster.....all you have to do is read their local newspaper and read the police blotters in HSV.....domestic violence, theft, and a LOT of people hitting deer on the roads. At least that is what I noticed living there for 3 years.

Hot Springs is very alive, many festivals (gumbo festival, chili cookoff is the best), bike trails, restaurants of all kinds, lots of shopping, thoroughbred racing, and generally and overall..... more upbeat...". I didn't feel part of the real world anymore in HSV.....I can do that on 10-20 acres in the woods (where I have a cabin)...... I don't want to do that in "suburbia", which is basically, what HSV is.

Also one more thing .... I've been to Houston and Dallas. And a few other places in TX. Texans are moving to AR.....(like invasion level) .so it's not really *better* in TX depending on what you're looking for.

ALL places have problems, pros and cons.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:05 AM

3 posts, read 3,857 times
I also visited. It's my favorite place

Old 08-07-2021, 09:29 AM

I visit Hot Springs Village regularly and came close to buying a vacation home that may turn full time but the more I visit, the more uncertain I become. Ive met so many super-nice people but I’ve also met so many nice on the surface people who are nice as long as i listen to their politics and make no opposing comments, which I don’t. I have my personal politics and keep them to myself.

I see this peaceful village turning into a gated complex for many haters and anti-this and anti that groups. People from around the country with similar mindsets and hateful rhetoric are slowly replacing peaceful retirees and creeping into their peaceful area. If you want to storm the capital, refuse covid protocols to help the community and bash those who think differently— here’s the place to lock up behind a gate and run amuck. Lots of good people still there but lots of radical extreme views moving there. I have friends of all political parties but they are those with rational views and non-haters of those who disagree. I like living where people can live together and recognize thet democracy means having choices. I’m not married to either party and vote for the candidates that best meet what is important to me so assuming i am one or the other party would be a mistake.

Last edited by texas7; 08-07-2021 at 10:02 AM..

Old 09-10-2021, 07:49 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I have my personal politics and keep them to myself.
Looks like you weren't able to "keep them to yourself" anymore.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:10 PM

I stay out of the village politics. I’m there frequently and the hateful rhetoric among both parties toward each other gets pretty intense. I found that surprising. I keep my politics to myself as the others argue it out.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:07 AM

Also wanted to mention, the first year I lived there, I got pulled over by the village police THREE TIMES.

In my entire life, of 65 years, I have never been pulled over by a cop, nor even gotten a parking ticket, imagine that! I have never been in a car accident, not even a fender bender, never had a speeding ticket.

Wait.....was pulled over one time for registration in Lousiiana (because I had left the sticker in my glove compartment cuz it was raining cat's n dogs the day I got it and thought the glue would not take).. polite officer took it and put in on for me after he pulled me over. And on my way I went.

Yet, was pulled over 3x in one year there in HSV. and quite frankly, made no sense. I guess it takes a while for the crew there to recognize your vehicle or something.

It was the oddest thing ---- but reminded me of why I would not want to live somewhere like that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas