Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 05:09 PM

23 posts, read 41,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Personally, I think that is wishful thinking, but I will admit, even with my network, I don't have a full view of the transportation industry, so I don't know. I tend to err on the side of panning for sustained disruptions.

The latest info I have is almost a month old, but it didn't show much promise of getting better. That said, I saw somewhere that Feb is, traditionally, the pacific ports' slowest month, so they may clear some of the backlog then.

Trucking and container shortages still dog us, but I can't get a clear fix on how bad the problem is.

Port operations - ships:
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ne...ic-traffic-jam
Trucking:
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ca...ng-power-index
Railcar (numbers show there is a minor shortage of rail cars)):
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/no...proving-market
Political problems in container shipping:
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/us...its-not-enough
Hopefully more than wishful thinking but you may be right, good info and links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 05:48 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,404,637 times
I get daily reports of most food costs (increases only)and availability. I haven’t seen much improvement. However, we did have a corporate person from one of our national franchises here a few days ago and he was cautiously optimistic. I have noticed that our deliveries have improved. ( they went from “you could set your watch by when the different trucks would back up to our dock” to “is my truck coming this week?” We had several national suppliers miss their deliveries by over a week. That is disastrous in the perishable food side of the business )

Old 02-04-2022, 10:01 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,760 times
Price is definitely up in Little Rock as are more bare shelves. Meat is 50% to near double, a good steak at fresh market that was $12 or $13 per lb about is now $17-$19 a pound. My typical grocery bill used to be $30-$70 per visit ... now it is $70-$130 and I’m buying pretty much the same stuff.

Shelves have bare spots and it’s hard finding certain items.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:10 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Price is definitely up in Little Rock as are more bare shelves. Meat is 50% to near double, a good steak at fresh market that was $12 or $13 per lb about is now $17-$19 a pound. My typical grocery bill used to be $30-$70 per visit ... now it is $70-$130 and I’m buying pretty much the same stuff.

Shelves have bare spots and it’s hard finding certain items.
I've heard that about meat prices in some areas. That's probably what I've paid most attention to, and the prices have not increased at all on the meats I buy normally like ground beef, beef chuck roasts, ribeye, chicken thighs, etc. I'm not sure why the differences in some areas. My husband said when he was working in south Louisiana in the fall, meat was high there. I did notice the usual price of steak increase for a few weeks in the fall but now it's back to where it's always been.

Old 02-05-2022, 12:46 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I've heard that about meat prices in some areas. That's probably what I've paid most attention to, and the prices have not increased at all on the meats I buy normally like ground beef, beef chuck roasts, ribeye, chicken thighs, etc. I'm not sure why the differences in some areas. My husband said when he was working in south Louisiana in the fall, meat was high there. I did notice the usual price of steak increase for a few weeks in the fall but now it's back to where it's always been.
A lot of the variation depends on who had a contract with who, and when they signed it.

The pandemic created havoc in the processing plants, with workers being spaced out and many of them on quarantine, or actually sick. A lot of that hasn't really straightened itself out. Transportation is a mess, so unless your store contracted before the pandemic, and has their own transportation system (like Walmart does) your store will face some daunting challenges.

We get our chicken, pork, fish, and some beef, locally, from local butchers and local ranches, so we haven't been impacted nearly as much as most, but there are some refrigerant shortages coming up, and I don't know how much that will impact our locals.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:55 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,404,637 times
You are right about transportation being a mess, one of the distribution centers we receive a weekly delivery from was 21 drivers short last fall. ( this was in Little Rock). That is 21 trucks sitting idle.

One food plant in New Orleans, was so thin on workers, they would run production in the am and move to loading trucks in the pm, this was a few months ago also.

Orders are seldom correct anymore either, due to new or overtaxed workers in distribution.

It is the new normal to receive 60- 80% of whatever you order, but never 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas