Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 01:22 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times

Advertisements

We've been hearing a lot about inflation, supply chain issues, and empty grocery shelves. There is no doubt that some things are more expensive, but it seems to be limited more to building supplies and real estate. I've also read that groceries are much more expensive and families are having a hard time with the extra cost along with empty shelves.

So my question is, are you seeing this in parts of Arkansas? I haven't seen any empty shelves at the grocery stores, but a few things were not fully stocked a few times. As for grocery prices, I've not noticed any increase, at least in my area. Prices are relatively the same they've been for quite a while. I'm wondering what are you seeing in your area? (Arkansas or other areas)

By the way, I'm usually grocery shopping in Jasper and Harrison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 02:25 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
The 50 pound bag of pizza flour that I use to bake bread with was costing me $20, 2 years ago, yesterday it was $29.72....up $5 just in the last 3 months. Meat is up, cheese is up.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:16 AM

490 posts, read 1,266,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
We've been hearing a lot about inflation, supply chain issues, and empty grocery shelves. There is no doubt that some things are more expensive, but it seems to be limited more to building supplies and real estate. I've also read that groceries are much more expensive and families are having a hard time with the extra cost along with empty shelves.

So my question is, are you seeing this in parts of Arkansas? I haven't seen any empty shelves at the grocery stores, but a few things were not fully stocked a few times. As for grocery prices, I've not noticed any increase, at least in my area. Prices are relatively the same they've been for quite a while. I'm wondering what are you seeing in your area? (Arkansas or other areas)

Shopping here in HSV, Hot Springs and Little Rock I have not noticed any dramatic shortages but meat prices here have gone up considerably. This other issue could have been in the works before the pandemic but I have also noticed some items, like my Campbells chunky soups are still the same price but the cans are now 2oz smaller. Same issue with my Nestles chocolate chips, 12oz bags are now 10oz but priced the same. I guess they will get you one way or the other.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:13 AM

1,602 posts, read 867,677 times
Quote:

I was at a Supercenter in NWA on Saturday and bought several bulky items that I buy on the regular as well as some food I can only get at certain stores, and noticed every single item was higher. Got home and did the math...everything was up 10-25%.

Went to a Neighborhood Market in NWA on Sunday evening and it was very picked over. Lots of low stock/no stock everywhere. I asked a veteran employee about it and he said it was about 50/50 supply chain and the fact that they'd been heavily shopped all weekend, possibly due to the coming winter weather.

Old 01-31-2022, 04:34 AM

2,715 posts, read 2,216,807 times
The prices have definitely gone up on groceries. I have not seen any widespread empty shelves, but I do see some. This could be due to I go shopping around 7 in the morning while the shelves are being stocked.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
I was at a Supercenter in NWA on Saturday and bought several bulky items that I buy on the regular as well as some food I can only get at certain stores, and noticed every single item was higher. Got home and did the math...everything was up 10-25%.

Went to a Neighborhood Market in NWA on Sunday evening and it was very picked over. Lots of low stock/no stock everywhere. I asked a veteran employee about it and he said it was about 50/50 supply chain and the fact that they'd been heavily shopped all weekend, possibly due to the coming winter weather.
I do think low stock right now is going to be increased due to people getting ready for possible winter storm/ice storm.

I did read that some of the supply chain problems should show a lot of improvement by March. Hope that is true. Some areas seem to be really hit hard by it.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:56 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:

Not like the stores are stripped bare, or anything, but I am seeing a lot of empty areas. Sometimes whole sections, like for two weeks the whole pasta section was "a package here and there."

I began forecasting high inflation over a year ago, before the "fed" even said there would be some "transitory" inflation, and fortunately it isn't as bad as I feared it could have gotten, but ShadowStats (the most accurate index) confirms what some of the posters here are saying: they show about 12%, and that was last quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The prices have definitely gone up on groceries. I have not seen any widespread empty shelves, but I do see some. This could be due to I go shopping around 7 in the morning while the shelves are being stocked.
I go at sunrise, also.

I am getting reports from Boston, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Texas, that things are worse in other places, than here in the Ozarks.

Quote:
I do think low stock right now is going to be increased due to people getting ready for possible winter storm/ice storm.

I did read that some of the supply chain problems should show a lot of improvement by March. Hope that is true. Some areas seem to be really hit hard by it.
I would sure like to know why someone would think things will improve by March. I don't see that. Hope it isn't the government saying it...

Old 02-01-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I would sure like to know why someone would think things will improve by March. I don't see that. Hope it isn't the government saying it...
That is coming from some of the large manufacturers along with their earnings reports. That was probably more pertaining to parts for manufacturing and not specifically groceries. I guess time will tell shortly.

Last edited by Hollynla; 02-01-2022 at 05:38 PM..

Old 02-03-2022, 07:04 PM

23 posts, read 41,551 times
Quote:
I did read that some of the supply chain problems should show a lot of improvement by March
Hearing the same in my industry. Improvements going into spring /early summer.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:47 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
That is coming from some of the large manufacturers along with their earnings reports. That was probably more pertaining to parts for manufacturing and not specifically groceries. I guess time will tell shortly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorker_in_AR View Post
Hearing the same in my industry. Improvements going into spring /early summer.
Personally, I think that is wishful thinking, but I will admit, even with my network, I don't have a full view of the transportation industry, so I don't know. I tend to err on the side of panning for sustained disruptions.

The latest info I have is almost a month old, but it didn't show much promise of getting better. That said, I saw somewhere that Feb is, traditionally, the pacific ports' slowest month, so they may clear some of the backlog then.

Trucking and container shortages still dog us, but I can't get a clear fix on how bad the problem is.

Port operations - ships:
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ne...ic-traffic-jam
Trucking:
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ca...ng-power-index
Railcar (numbers show there is a minor shortage of rail cars)):
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/no...proving-market
Political problems in container shipping:
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/us...its-not-enough
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas