Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2022, 12:40 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times

Advertisements

Hello! The wife and I will be heading south may 24-30 for a few days of camping. I was curious if anyone had any recommendations on things to do, see or visit in the area. We don't mind driving an hour or so. I've never been to this area. We around both in our mid to late 30s and pretty active. We wouldn't mind any challenges hikes that aren't more than a half day or so. Also, if there is any place worth driving to eat at, please share. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 06:24 AM

490 posts, read 1,265,236 times
The park is on Lake Greeson which is one of the best crappie fishing lakes in the state. You are also close to Glenwood, where you could float the Caddo river or play golf at Glenwood Country Club if you are so inclined. There are two good restaurants in Glenwood, Ari's Little Italy and the Fish Nest, they are next door to each other. Other than those I don't know of any more in that immediate area. Crater of Diamonds state park is a few miles south in Mufreesboro, you could dig for diamonds, someone found a large one there a few days ago. Caddo Gap is a neat little town north of Glenwood on the Caddo, good exploring there and if nothing else you are a little over an hour to Hot Springs. Enjoy the Ouachitas.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoo...-arkansas-park

Old 05-11-2022, 06:48 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I second the Fish Nest. We went there last summer and the buffet was fresh and delicious. I think it was only $15 or so per person at that time, we thought that was a bargain. We'll be back next month when we stay in the area. We may have to try Ari's Little Italy. I'll look at the reviews.

You can go hunting for quartz. We found the Coleman mine in Jessieville to be the best of the three we have visited. The pieces were nicer. I brought home a couple for my yard.

The Winding Stairs on the Little Missouri is gorgeous. You can play in the water there. Look it up. It is a hiking area. It is near the old Alpert Pike recreation area that tragically flooded some years back.

We sometimes float the Caddo River in Glenwood. It's scenic and something to do.

We've visited the Diamond Mine in Murfreesboro a few times. It can be incredibly hot there in summer because it is a big open area with lots of direct sun. I prefer to visit that in the fall. Note: I just reread that you're going to be there this month. It will be hot, but nothing like July. Bring sunscreen and water regardless. It's been about 12 years since I've camped there, but I remember the campground being nice.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 05-11-2022 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-12-2022, 04:56 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
Thanks for the responses. Not looking forward to the humidity but the alternative was smoke from the wildfires in New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas