Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Harrison: ultra conservative groups, liberal stereotypes, bizarre blueblood mentality, family values

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:08 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times

Advertisements

Not most of them, but when I find they've been chewing an one, I use a water/egg mixture to spray around them.

Break two eggs in a half bucket of water, let it sit for a day, then spray around plant area. The deer come in, stop about 50 feet away, sniff, and then walk a wide berth around that area.

This time of year it's not a big risk because they have so much to eat. Late fall, winter, and early spring are the deterent times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 03:56 PM

26 posts, read 50,274 times
Hmmm, guess I've got a question after all. My husband & I have a 4 acre property on Bull Shoals & I love to garden. We're planning on fencing the area in because we have 7 dogs (weight range 40-70 lbs.). No, we don't breed, we just have soft hearts & pick up strays (they're all fixed). The point is that I DON"T want my dogs running deer. So what kind of fence is my best bet that will keep my dogs in but not trap any deer. Don't even mention an electric fence...my dogs have blasted right through those.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:30 AM

Wow, that is somewhat of a dilemma. Would they tend to jump a standard 4 foot welded fence? Dig under them?

When a dog gets determined, it can accomplish amazing things.

I've seen deer jump 6 foot fences. The "fence" I put up with PVC and baling wire only works because they just don't jump the angled fences. They could walk right through it if they felt like it, but have a natural fear of getting tangled.

I had a border collie for awhile that I had to adopt out to another farm because she ran deer. Day or night, if they came around, she was off the deck like a bullet.

That didn't work out during deer season when she'd show up at the stand every time I went out.

When you say electric fence, are you talking about the radio-controlled ones that send a signal to the dogs collar? There are a few of those around here and they sem to work very well.

I think they're called "invisible fences".

With as many dogs as you have, maybe you could get a group discount!

Old 05-30-2008, 02:47 PM

26 posts, read 50,274 times
Well, my dogs will go over a 4 foot fence. And the electronic fences are the ones they have blasted right through. Dalmatians are notoriously determined. Right now I have a 6 foot chain link that is buried in the ground with a mixture of dirt & rock. So far they haven't been able to dig under although they have tried. Just so I don't get slammed, I have taken them all to obediance school & sent one to Doggie Boot Camp. They still chase anything they can.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:25 PM

Obviously you've gone to great lengths, what with the buried rock/6 ft fence.

Getting that around your place down here would be a sizeable investment, but probably worth it as it is a permanent solutuion.

Unbelievable about your dog blasting through an electronic fence. I've seen them used around here and they've been extremely effective and reliable to keep the dogs in. They sell the stuff at the farm supply stores and I think Wal Mart even carries it.

I'd say that unless you want to put 6 foot fence around your property here, you're going to have dogs out.

For sure, sooner or later, you're going to have deer checking out your yard, though they may not want to enter with the dogs in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas