Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 09:27 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
3. People are friendlier down here, by a considerable margin. It really is the South.

Of course this is highly subjective and dependent on location, personalities, and very specific circumstances.

I too have lived in various parts of both states (about 20 years in AR and 12+ in MO) and found them to be pretty much the same in the friendliness department.
For a person in NWA, I suppose the energy and hype can add to the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 07:22 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,609 times
Missouri just voted to legalize marijuana while Arkansas voted to continue to criminalize it, so I think it's pretty clear that Arkansas is the state that prefers more government interference in people's everyday lives. The difference in liquor laws between the two states also confirm this.

Old 12-06-2022, 09:45 AM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Missouri just voted to legalize marijuana while Arkansas voted to continue to criminalize it, so I think it's pretty clear that Arkansas is the state that prefers more government interference in people's everyday lives. The difference in liquor laws between the two states also confirm this.
Honestly, that really surprised me. I read yesterday that the large republican turn out was the turning point against it. I am not taking sides on the red/blue divide, but I was for decriminalizing marijuana. ( and that discussion could go on all day and night)

Old 12-06-2022, 01:28 PM
sub

It’s a small sampling of how conservatism is played out from one place to the next.
Arkansas has a stronger evangelical presence. This is not the left-right issue people portray it as.
Missouri has always been a bit libertarian-leaning. Probably the most hands-off state I’ve lived in.
However, MO covers the basics like infrastructure pretty well. Its conservation department is also quite good, and the public schools are generally serviceable by public school standards.
The downside is that it can be a little wild-west feeling in a way.
Arkansas has always been more wary about vices. Personally, I’m more socially conservative like that, but in a free-ish society you have to put up with some stuff within reason.

Old 12-06-2022, 04:43 PM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Arkansas has always been more wary about vices. Personally, I’m more socially conservative like that, but in a free-ish society you have to put up with some stuff within reason.
I agree. While it isn't a straight Left/Right issue, Conservatives do tend to resist adding another vice to the, already long, list of vices allowed by our society.

I have no problem with Medical use (although I think control should be a little tighter), which is why I told the poster in another thread that their argument was irrelevant. We had already gone over that topic, the topic of that thread was recreational use.

Personally, having seen a couple of my friends destroyed by recreational use of Cannabis I tend to resist anyone who is telling people that it is harmless to go down that path.

Old 12-07-2022, 05:29 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
It’s a small sampling of how conservatism is played out from one place to the next.
Arkansas has a stronger evangelical presence. This is not the left-right issue people portray it as.
Missouri has always been a bit libertarian-leaning. Probably the most hands-off state I’ve lived in.
However, MO covers the basics like infrastructure pretty well. Its conservation department is also quite good, and the public schools are generally serviceable by public school standards.
The downside is that it can be a little wild-west feeling in a way.
Not so according to the National Association of Evangelicals....Evangelical Christians more often identify as Republican.

"By the end of the 1980s, evangelical voters had become an essential part of the Republican base. Republican candidates and party leaders actively sought evangelical voters, crafting issue appeals to win their support."

Sounds like Evangelism is a left/right issue...more right.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:16 PM

325 posts, read 56,900 times
When I lived in Harrison, AR I rarely locked the door to my house. I did lock my door in Fayetteville AR since it was a larger community, but didn’t worry much if I forgot to lock the door. Obviously, I think NWA is a safe area to live in. There had been only one or two murders in the previous 100 years when I was there. It has to do with demographics. Property taxes were cheap in Harrison and there are many beautiful hiking trails. People that believe in prepping (survivalists) tend to move to NWA. If you break into a house there you don’t have to worry about government interference (police) because the homeowner will shoot you with the approval of everyone in town. Lol.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:30 PM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Not so according to the National Association of Evangelicals....Evangelical Christians more often identify as Republican.

"By the end of the 1980s, evangelical voters had become an essential part of the Republican base. Republican candidates and party leaders actively sought evangelical voters, crafting issue appeals to win their support."

Sounds like Evangelism is a left/right issue...more right.

I was saying marijuana is not as much of a left-right issue as people make it out to be.
Of course evangelicals lean right.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:57 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Apologies, I misread your post.

Old 12-08-2022, 05:37 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I agree. While it isn't a straight Left/Right issue, Conservatives do tend to resist adding another vice to the, already long, list of vices allowed by our society.

I have no problem with Medical use (although I think control should be a little tighter), which is why I told the poster in another thread that their argument was irrelevant. We had already gone over that topic, the topic of that thread was recreational use.

Personally, having seen a couple of my friends destroyed by recreational use of Cannabis I tend to resist anyone who is telling people that it is harmless to go down that path.
Yeah, people will soon enough remember why certain things were outlawed to begin with.
Those with certain political inclinations might realize it wasn’t just “racism”.

Complete criminalization may not have been the way to go but casual normalization isn’t either.
Again, I feel the same way about alcohol and gambling.

I would argue that this overly permissive trend has devastating ripple effects that we see play out elsewhere.

Back to the thread, the average person isn’t likely to notice a huge difference between the two states in terms of freedom unless they’re hung up on very specific things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas