Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 06:47 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times

Advertisements

Some just below me in SoMD.

https://thebaynet.com/expert-weighs-...maryland-html/

https://chesapeakebaymagazine.com/se...ludes-capture/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 07:31 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Very interesting. They "think" they are not native that far north. But maybe they once were very long ago but were eradicated.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:40 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Very interesting. They "think" they are not native that far north. But maybe they once were very long ago but were eradicated.
I didn't see anything in those articles that indicated they are, or ever were "native" to the area.

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources is, of course, being "everything we've come to expect from years of government training."
(quoted reference to MiB, the movie)

Old 01-18-2023, 03:41 AM

374 posts, read 257,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Here in FL the Manatees like to hang around the power plans in the winter when the water is cold.

It's odd how gators make it further north in MS and AR but in GA they're not as far north, not past the fall line even though northern MS is a bit colder than Atlanta.
They have been spotted in recent years in North Georgia (as far north as Lake Lanier).

There is literature documenting a thriving alligator population in the U.S. that could be found as far north as New Jersey. It seems the northern populations were eradicated long ago (those northern populations likely had smaller populations thriving to begin with).

North Georgia's topography combined with the bodies of water that are laid out, wouldn't be as welcoming to gators as would other places. A gator wouldn't have an easy time getting north of the fall line in Georgia. Traveling south towards the fall line would be much easier. However, the indications are that those gator populations that thrived north of the fall line were eradicated many years ago.

The recent sightings in North Georgia may be an attempt at re-establishing populations of alligators (much like what has happened in North Alabama). All you need is basically a subtropical climate along with temperatures warm enough for the gators' eggs to hatch and a thriving population is possible.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:44 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
They have been spotted in recent years in North Georgia (as far north as Lake Lanier).

There is literature documenting a thriving alligator population in the U.S. that could be found as far north as New Jersey. It seems the northern populations were eradicated long ago (those northern populations likely had smaller populations thriving to begin with).

North Georgia's topography combined with the bodies of water that are laid out, wouldn't be as welcoming to gators as would other places. A gator wouldn't have an easy time getting north of the fall line in Georgia. Traveling south towards the fall line would be much easier. However, the indications are that those gator populations that thrived north of the fall line were eradicated many years ago.

The recent sightings in North Georgia may be an attempt at re-establishing populations of alligators (much like what has happened in North Alabama). All you need is basically a subtropical climate along with temperatures warm enough for the gators' eggs to hatch and a thriving population is possible.
I read that about New Jersey and Southern IL. If there were gators in NJ then there should have been alligators in Cape Girardeau, Missouri or St. Louis then as winter highs are the same, actually the winter temps in Stl are warmer than central and northern NJ for the highs and you'd have had gators in the White River.

Old 01-18-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I didn't see anything in those articles that indicated they are, or ever were "native" to the area.
That's why I said "They "think" they are not native that far north."

If they were wiped out several hundered years ago I would think there wouldn't be much evidence of them having been there. Especially if there weren't many to begin with. Logically speaking, if there are some there now surviving, and there are, there could just as well have been some there before. It stands to reason.

Officialdom doesn't know everything, and like to poo-poo anything contrary. But inquiring minds enjoy discussing it just the same.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:41 PM

374 posts, read 257,390 times
Quote:
That's why I said "They "think" they are not native that far north."

If they were wiped out several hundered years ago I would think there wouldn't be much evidence of them having been there. Especially if there weren't many to begin with. Logically speaking, if there are some there now surviving, and there are, there could just as well have been some there before. It stands to reason.

Officialdom doesn't know everything, and like to poo-poo anything contrary. But inquiring minds enjoy discussing it just the same.
Here's a link that sheds light on the situation on alligators in Arkansas. The map is useful:

https://herpsofarkansas.com/reptiles...sissippiensis/

As like most wild animals, they pretty much do as they please unless they have become a major nuisance to the local areas. They would just go dormant when it got cold and would stick their snouts through any icing on the bodies of water. The eggs may not hatch every year and not every gator would have to survive every winter to have a thriving population.

Anyway, I think a lot of the stuff you see in the press is based on not trying to scare the people in a given area than on any real, tangible information.

Last edited by rrampage; 01-18-2023 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-18-2023, 07:32 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times
Quote:
Here's a link that sheds light on the situation on alligators in Arkansas. The map is useful:

As like most wild animals, they pretty much do as they please unless they have become a major nuisance to the local areas. They would just go dormant when it got cold and would stick their snouts through any icing on the bodies of water. The eggs may not hatch every year and not every gator would have to survive every winter to have a thriving population.

Anyway, I think a lot of the stuff you see in the press is based on not trying to scare the people in a given area than on any real, tangible information.
Probably there are a few in the bootheel too then according to the map. Also 3 counties north if Bull Shoals. Can't believe they're that close by.

Based on according to the link it says it's possible it was on the Missouri side that St. Francois river sighting was.

Suggests they could be in the bootheel

https://www.iucncsg.org/365_docs/att...h-aa4f3b77.pdf

Last edited by MOforthewin; 01-18-2023 at 07:40 PM..

Old 01-19-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Not telling people about gators in an area is really doing the people a diservice, even if it does scare them. People need to be made aware of their existence so they can change their habits, and look out for them. And I don't know why they are trying so hard to bring them back. They were removed for a very good reason, imho. They have plenty already.

The link in an earlier post about them being found in the Chesapeake bay area with a couple articles, and photos was creepy, but interesting just the same.

Old 01-19-2023, 01:07 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Not telling people about gators in an area is really doing the people a diservice, even if it does scare them. People need to be made aware of their existence so they can change their habits, and look out for them. And I don't know why they are trying so hard to bring them back. They were removed for a very good reason, imho. They have plenty already.

The link in an earlier post about them being found in the Chesapeake bay area with a couple articles, and photos was creepy, but interesting just the same.

For the second one I linked to MD DNR decided not to release the location so "people wouldn't bother it". Well, that's ok I guess but if I'm going to do some duck hunting in one of the marshes there, especially the September season, it would be nice to know if I have to watch out for a large reptile with a couple hundred teeth.

I haven't hunted over there for a couple years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: