Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 08:36 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I spent several years of my life living in the Glades and working/living with gators. (As in, they would come into my "yard", not that they were pets). When I finally moved, it was a relief to be able to take my dogs into a lake, or run next to bodies of water without worry.

One thing that still has not left me is scanning the water, and every once in awhile, I'll see something in the water, and have to remind myself that there's no gators here.

Or so I thought.

Apparently, according to media, NC does have gators. According to them, it's mainly the east side. It can get very cold here, so I was a bit shocked to read that. If the state always had this type of "winter" we're having now, I would have not been as surprised.

Gators can make it through a bit of time with cold weather, but IL? OH? Further up the east coast? That's not natural. These guys are some of the laziest animals, ever, so making extra effort to keep warm is not very alligator like.
Ones in the Ohio river likely released there. It's too cold around there.

However, those once in a blue moon reports of gators in and around the Missouri Bootheel area are probably accurate around the St. Francis river. A few gators spotted in Reelfoot lake before. If that's the case, they're very likely on the MO side since that's just a few miles away. Places like Caruthersville climate can support them due to the mild night time winter low temps. Wouldn't shock me before the 1800s there were a few gators in southeast MO and northwest TN before swamps were drained for farming.

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/n...66456fa69.html

This article is a bit overboard. Will never see them in the MO river in central Missouri, but probably could see them up around Scott and Mississippi counties in Missouri in small numbers eventually.

If gators were found near NJ many moons ago IMO they were probably up into southeast MO. Probably were gators in SEMO ages ago in small numbers.

One sighting around Cape in the MS river in the early 50s sounds like it was one that simply swam up the river.

https://www.semissourian.com/blogs/f...ue/entry/46708

1922 a few spotted as well in the summer near Cape.

Last edited by MOforthewin; 04-29-2023 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 08:25 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
So the two-year old child who was wading in the lake at Disneyland where an alligator horrifically grabbed him, carried him off, and killed him.....was self-defense....

and the happenings where people are walking around ponds and an alligator jumps out of the water, grabs the human or the pet, are self-defense.

If you do a google search, there are attacks on humans by alligators - but people are usually unaware just how many there are and they do not stay away from walking along small bodies of water .......in Florida and parts of the South. Defenders will always say the numbers are not high enough to be concerned about.

Making you unafraid of alligators or not being cautious because you think there is an equivalent fear that "alligators are just as afraid of humans as humans are of them" is not wise behavior around bodies of water where alligators are or could be.
Alligators are atually pretty docile. In Florida they are everywhere. If they were really aggressive there would be a lot more deaths than there actually are. Just about every apartment house down there has a pond with a resident gator. Heck the University of Florida's married student housing is right across the street from gator infested Lake Alice. And across that street and next to the shore are picnic tables where Gators will swim up and watch you eat hoping you will feed them.

Gators eat little kids and dogs when they can because they are hungry and they don't see them as a threat. Usually adults are ok unless they are in the water with the gator. But a lot of times you can be within 30 or 40 feet of them and they won't do a darn thing but sit there. There are videos of cats going up and slapping gators in the face with their claws and shows the gators backing down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojurByhhX8A

But yeah, it's best to stay clear of shoreline and give yourself 10 yards or so.

Old 05-01-2023, 11:03 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
I spent my childhood in Titusville, FL. All the grownups talked about gators being everywhere (this would've been early to mid 60's) but I only ever saw a wild gator once, on Merritt Island.

Us kids used to walk down to a local pond (we called it Blue Hole) to go fishing. I always understood that there was an Alligator Snapping Turtle in the pond, but my brother told me a couple of years ago, that there was an actual alligator in it.

Maybe I misunderstood, and there wasn't a turtle, or he misunderstood, or maybe there was both. I don't know. But I never saw a gator.

On the other hand, every time I've been to Louisiana, I have seen alligators.

Old 09-25-2023, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 4,400 times
They're in Dagmar, every time someone's pet is found and taken away they rehome it to Dagmar.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:03 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
You should always be aware of your surroundings. And it is self defense.

Alligators are opportunistic predators that will feed on large mammals which present themselves as realistic prey in their environment. That could be someone's dog, your 90 year old granny, a child or a homeless woman.

I'm not passing judgment on them - they are animals so morals/ethics are meaningless to them - but that's what they are and one would be a fool to discount their potential for aggression.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,400 times
They're in Dagmar, every time someone's pet is found and taken away they rehome it to Dagmar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: