Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 09:55 PM

63 posts, read 63,269 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here know of any "ghost towns" in Arkansas?

as in run-down/abandoned places that people seem to have forgotten about?

I was just asking because I plan on being taken to Arkansas to film a video about the time I almost ran away to Arkansas forever & I wanted to film a video of myself walking around a bunch of 'ghost towns' in Arkansas with a sad look on my face for the video.

Does anyone know a good ghost town places in Arkansas that i can do that at? just as long as theyre safe but yeah

ALSO:

does anyone know any mountainous beaches in Arkansas? similar to the one i posted a picture of below...
the picture i posted below was in Henderson, Arkansas. HOWEVER: last time I was out there, the park was flooded really bad & I couldn't get in (i was dissapointed in that, but I figured that happens pretty often. I was wondering if there's any other parks in the Arkansas mountians that have water by them like that. doesn't nesscarily have to be a beach but yeah).. just as long as you can get in for free or as long as it's cheap...

Any suggestions would be appreciated! ☺ ♥ ☺

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 01:07 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I can't think of any ghost towns. The Albert Pike Campground was closed down after a flood and a lot of people lost their lives. It was pretty sad looking the last time we drove by.

Look up Kirby Landing. https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/233531 It sort of reminds me of your picture, but no railroad. The Shangra La Resort might work too. https://www.shangrilaresortar.net/

Old 05-03-2023, 05:19 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
If there was a true "ghost town" as in no more residents in a place anywhere in AR or the southeastern USA, it would likely get overgrown and swallowed up by kudzu in the summertime. I lived in Alabama for several years and used to go bike riding on rural dirt roads. There were a few abandoned old homes (or maybe shacks) along some of those dirt roads, and the kudzu would fully cover them up by end of summer. The high elevation areas of the desert southwest is where the majority of fairly well preserved ghost towns can be found - no kudzu there!

Old 05-03-2023, 06:40 AM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheWaves View Post

I was just asking because I plan on being taken to Arkansas to film a video about the time I almost ran away to Arkansas forever & I wanted to film a video of myself walking around a bunch of 'ghost towns' in Arkansas with a sad look on my face for the video.

Does anyone know a good ghost town places in Arkansas that i can do that at? just as long as theyre safe but yeah

ALSO:

does anyone know any mountainous beaches in Arkansas? similar to the one i posted a picture of below...
the picture i posted below was in Henderson, Arkansas. HOWEVER: last time I was out there, the park was flooded really bad & I couldn't get in (i was dissapointed in that, but I figured that happens pretty often. I was wondering if there's any other parks in the Arkansas mountians that have water by them like that. doesn't nesscarily have to be a beach but yeah).. just as long as you can get in for free or as long as it's cheap...

You should check out the abandoned/ghost town of Rush. It's along the Buffalo River about ten miles South of Yellville. Once was a thriving zinc-mining community I believe beginning in 1890's. There are still buildings and remnants of what once was a busy little place. The government bought out the land when the Buffalo became the first National Historic River.

Old 05-03-2023, 08:20 PM

603 posts, read 930,864 times
I was going to mention Rush but I see Bellacatahoula already did.

Another place to consider is not a town but an abandoned amusement park. In Newton County, just south of the Boone County line, is the former Dogpatch USA. It is full of abandoned decaying buildings from the park that closed in the 90s. Here is a video showing some of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpnfHZj2uDE

Old 05-09-2023, 03:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheWaves View Post

ALSO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpkrd5pB4fY

Old 05-09-2023, 03:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43x7w7ew1tg

Old 05-10-2023, 07:11 PM

41 posts, read 18,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43x7w7ew1tg[/url]
I couldn’t even watch the full thing. It looks like paradise to me.
Maybe get a bunch of conservative New Yorkers together and we evacuate to a ghost town like that in Arkansas and rebuild? I am in.
If I had boatloads of money I would buy a ghost town just like that! Man it looks nice.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonBklyn View Post
I couldn’t even watch the full thing. It looks like paradise to me.
Maybe get a bunch of conservative New Yorkers together and we evacuate to a ghost town like that in Arkansas and rebuild? I am in.
If I had boatloads of money I would buy a ghost town just like that! Man it looks nice.
That is how these small towns out west got filled up. Immigrants getting off of Ellis Island, staying a bit, and then heading out west like Billy the Kid did more than a century ago. They worked the land or catered to those who did. But now its a reversal. Everyone is flocking to the coastal port cities.

What are they doing? The FRIEND economy. Finance, RE, Insurance, Entertainment, Networking, and Debt is how they get by.

Old 05-11-2023, 01:06 PM

41 posts, read 18,906 times
These ghost towns look like paradise to me. They have been sitting there untouched for a while and the soil must be clean and magical. Also look at the previous stonework and other solid structures in place and pieces of history. The trees look wonderful. Obviously the houses need a ton of work but it would be well worth it.

Heck I would even declare myself the Mayor or something because it’s not like anybody else is stepping up to the plate.

Think of how much more peaceful it would be living there in a pristine natural setting compared to the big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas