Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:21 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aporkalypse View Post
I agree I would really look at Eureka Springs very strongly. It's not that far away (30 min?) but it's a place where you would not only not feel out of place, but be the norm.
The problem with Eureka Springs is that they have in fact lost touch with the local element in the arts community there. Go to the local galleries and just about the only local artists you'll find represented there are the gallery owners. Most everything is from some out of state artist! So you may have trouble getting gallery representation there unless you want to open your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,079 times
Default Eureka has its limitations.

I love to visit Eureka, but when we returned to the Ozarks three years ago we ended up in Harrison instead for the following reasons:

1) Eureka has very little economy apart from tourism, and the tourism market there is very competitive and somewhat shaky.
2) The community is extremely argumentative (see geekfest.org if you'd like to follow some of the daily drama there), particularly on community/political matters. Lotsa bad mojo going on there.
3) The lack of agreement seems to really keep the town from promoting itself innovatively. Which naturally leads back to problems with #1.
4) Real estate is expensive due to all the out-of-towners who move there or buy second homes there.

If you have no money worries, you can't beat Eureka for restaurants, artsy atmosphere, interesting characters (artists and hillfolk alike), and quirky old houses. It's gorgeous and fascinating.

...But if you need to make a living of any kind, putting yourself into an economy of argumentative, gossipy folk all competing for a limited customer base (out of town visitiors) seems like a recipe for headache, if not disaster. We decided to pass.

Mountain Home's been mentioned too-- and it's beautiful country-- but we decided against that because of its popularity with retirees. It's growing like mad, and real estate prices are soaring, but that's because folks are moving in from Chicago and California to enjoy their retirement there. (Of course, if you are a retiree moving in from out of state, you could feel right at home.)

Harrison's ideally located for visiting all the Ozarks' amenities: just 25-40 minutes north of Newton County (gorgeous, remote mountains, Buffalo River National Park), south of Branson (touristy, but great shops and restaurants), and east of Eureka's charms. It has a more balanced economy, an increasingly diverse community, and a town square and Lyric theater that charm the pants off me every time I drive past.

Hope that helps somebody. I honestly don't mean to bash Eureka and its residents-- I love them. Just don't want to be their neighbors or depend on them to help me make my living.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM

6 posts, read 13,872 times
thanks for your input, i appreciate the different perspectives on Harrison, still looking at moving to the area and reasonable realestate prices are a draw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas