Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:26 PM

24 posts, read 98,870 times

Advertisements

I am a beginner when it comes to many facts, figures, and geography concerning Arkansas. But, from the experience I have in the past year or so I would describe my ongoing account of Arkansas experience kinda like this......

>>>>>You enter the kitchen of your grandma's house and you breathe in a nose full of something cooking on her stove. You already know its going to be good, whatever it may be. The savor draws you to the kettle on the stove top. You tip the lid slightly to the side , close your eyes, and hook your nose into the plume of aroma that rises out of the rim. You are now grinning uncontrollably with the thought of dinner. Your hunger is awakened and there is no satisfying it unless you have some. You simply must be there when the first bowl is served!!<<<<

.......This is the "feeling" I have gotten from Arkansas thus far. I have smelled the freedom and peace it has to offer and I know I'll want a second helping and desert too!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 08:21 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Well I can comment on some of the differenses from Cali that I experianced in my 2 week vacation last month.

I walk into a tackleshop say hello to a couple of regulars sitting at the table, tell then I'm from California and have never been to Beaver Lake before, Well they pull out maps and start to show me where to fish, walk around the shop and show me what the fish are hitting.
When you go to fast food there is a polite teenager working behind the counter, they speak english and say "thank you, sir" when giving you your food.
When you drive by someone on a rural road and they wave with all thier fingers instead of just the middle one.
While getting gas the fellow across from me starts talking, well we end up holding a conversation for 10 minutes, I had never seen the guy before.
While walking in the park to watch the lightening bugs, my wife and I are approuched by a couple of teenagers, They say "you folks watch your step down that away, the trail is flooded" Now I'm feeling all guilty for sizing them up figurin I was going to have to fight them.
So besides the natural beauty of the state, I'd say the people are the difference.....

Old 07-06-2008, 08:28 PM

305 posts, read 991,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It has a little bit of everything and not too much of anything: you have nice weather even if the summers are a little humid, you have mild winters, although there is enough snow etc to make it fell like winter should feel and look plus good shopping and medical facilities plus good restaurants, plays, etc only 25 to 30 minutes from true country living. There are lakes, rivers, history, good colleges, fishing, wildlife and natural beauty. The people in Arkansas are as natural as the scenery.

Our granddaughter, who just graduated from the University of AR is marrying a true Arkie who didn't go to college, doesn't dream of owning a mansion, like the simple things in life and most of all is who he is and comfortable with himself. This is what we all like about him. This is the life she loves as well. She is not phony and he isn't either.

Is that enough about what I like about Arkansas or would you like mroe?

Nita
Winters are mild like we have in Minnesota? I think your fair state sounds really great and thank you for all the resposes thus far

Old 07-06-2008, 08:31 PM

305 posts, read 991,668 times
Well I am very tickled at all yor resposes and I must say you all have a sense of humor to boot. What more can I ask for?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:42 PM

297 posts, read 1,300,165 times
Default Arkansas has beautiful lakes, mountains, camping and lots of natural resources just to name a few.....

We also have Hot Springs, Mena, Mountain View, Mount Magazine and lots of beautiful scenic views. Little Rock is always becoming a more attractive city. The people are nice and laid back. Most will make you feel right at home. Try digging for diamonds at the only public diamond mine in the US or find crystals at Mt. Ida. Alot to do in Arkansas within a days drive.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoe View Post
We also have Hot Springs, Mena, Mountain View, Mount Magazine and lots of beautiful scenic views. Little Rock is always becoming a more attractive city. The people are nice and laid back. Most will make you feel right at home. Try digging for diamonds at the only public diamond mine in the US or find crystals at Mt. Ida. Alot to do in Arkansas within a days drive.
We can add to that, it is only about 5 hours from River boat gambling or a few minutes from Indian Gambling if this is your thing, no matter where you live in AR, if you have this urge to see the really BIG city a drive to Dallas or ST Louis, just to mention a couple of places really isn't all that far and OKC is getting pro sports plus we have the HOGS. OK, they may not be top of the pile this year, but they are certainly a fun team to route for.

So you can see, not a lot of extreme weather, plenty to do, regardless of your interests, nice people who are what they are and too boot, you will probably find someone from the area you came from, because so many come here and do ever want to leave..

Nita

Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,494 times
What is great to me is enjoying the outdoors. I am a simple country girl who loves nature and being in and around water. Whether it is camping out on a river bank or swimming in the lake. (grew up swimming in gravel pitts!) It's great feeding the deer and other critters. Arkansas is simply the best!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post
>>>>>You enter the kitchen of your grandma's house and you breathe in a nose full of something cooking on her stove.
Zactly, Horseshoe.

Clicked ya on that one.

How was the fishing?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:24 PM

200 posts, read 682,267 times
What is so great about Arkansas? One word.... spudnuts.

Of course, you have to come down to El Dorado for that...

Old 07-08-2008, 01:54 AM

36 posts, read 129,881 times
The people are fantastic! They'll invite a virtual stranger into their home for Christmas Dinner all the while being polite and social and never giving the hint that they have sized you up in any way. (TY for that!)
The outdoor activities are great: from fishing, hunting, canoeing, camping, hiking, biking, to just chillin at the lake. Simple folk whose idea of fun is getting an inner tube, a cooler, and a guitar and heading out to the river.
They really do wave at you out in the country(not as much in the city)
City-life is not so crazy that you feel overwhelmed but still gives you plenty of things to do or see.

You asked where to go, some great places I found along the way have been: Little Rock Rivermarket(day or night), LR The Rep Theatre-seen some great plays for really affordable price, Central High(obvious historic place) Hot Springs downtown-museums, stores, shops, restaurants, and a couple working bath houses, Oaklawn- not too far from there(won a couple dollars a few years back), Conway-how could you not love something called Toad Suck Daze!, Petit Jean- wonderful hiking, Buffalo River-easy canoeing with minimal falling out of canoe, Spring River at high water- lots of falling out of canoe but still a blast!, Greers Ferry- great lake atmosphere, Altus-wine capital of Ark-the winefest in fall has Dutch dancers and grape stomping, Eureka Springs-great downtown for just walking around or a carriage ride through the cobblestone streets- also I had the best Italian food ever at one of their restaurants. These are just a few of the great places I've been. Most of the time the trips were accompanied with great people as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas