Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:25 PM

305 posts, read 991,736 times

Advertisements

If I were to visit what is great about your state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
The outdoors. You can have pretty much any topography that appeals to you and the outdoor sports are superlative.

It goes without saying that the people are what makes the state great!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:09 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Thumbs up Not perfect, but close!

Beautiful landscapes, beautiful people, and great fishing. Did I say fishing is great, no it is beyond great. You will have to go out of you way to get stuck in traffic with only a couple of exceptions. From what I've seen people actually live there instead of existing Here's a link for ya:

Photo of Arkansas - Arkansas Images - Arkansas Photos

Happy plundering

Old 07-06-2008, 09:30 AM

264 posts, read 1,151,606 times
The great outdoors- excellent hunting and fishing!!! Mountains and lowlands, lakes and rivers.I mean, c'mon, it is the Natural State after all! :P

Old 07-06-2008, 09:45 AM

570 posts, read 1,583,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
It's not in California!! Along with everything else the other posts say.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:58 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
I agree. I haven't gotten there yet, but for me, the best two things about Arkansas are: 1) It's not California and 2) The people in this forum!

Old 07-06-2008, 10:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
It has a little bit of everything and not too much of anything: you have nice weather even if the summers are a little humid, you have mild winters, although there is enough snow etc to make it fell like winter should feel and look plus good shopping and medical facilities plus good restaurants, plays, etc only 25 to 30 minutes from true country living. There are lakes, rivers, history, good colleges, fishing, wildlife and natural beauty. The people in Arkansas are as natural as the scenery.

Our granddaughter, who just graduated from the University of AR is marrying a true Arkie who didn't go to college, doesn't dream of owning a mansion, like the simple things in life and most of all is who he is and comfortable with himself. This is what we all like about him. This is the life she loves as well. She is not phony and he isn't either.

Is that enough about what I like about Arkansas or would you like mroe?

Nita

Old 07-06-2008, 01:43 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post

Heh..heh..heh.................I'll tell you a few things that are great about it...

The State of Arkansas has *everything*.

Yes, you heard me right......everything.

There is a nirvana in this state for persons of every race, creed, color, religious preference, sexual orientation.......

It helps if you like 'Merle', but it really don't ruffle no feathers if you don't.

Everybody knows, and comments, about the incredible natural beauty of the state, the hunting and fishing, the canoeing and kayaking, the antique shopping, the barbecue and catfish......

I know exactly what you're thinking..."OK, Roger...I don't like any of those things, what's this got to do with me?".

Because we have whole towns that don't like those things, too. They like to grow their gardens and complain about the economy and the city government, and how hot it is, and how there are *way* too many *southerners* in this state.

You know why that's great?

Why was the migration to America, with the mass of people risking everything to come here, and exiting Ellis Island wide eyed, smiling, and probably penniless, so important? Because they had opportunity in a country where the "streets are lined with gold".

They had the opprtunity to have a "richer and fuller life", and they grabbed that opportunity by the horns and rode it into the arena of life.

If somebody wants to come here and be miserable, they will eventually find the right place to join with others.

If you want to come here and have the time of your life, that's not hard to do at all.

If you want to move here and have a lifestyle that fits like your old worn-out saturday afternoon blue jeans, we're just full to the brim with that.

You have *freedom* and you have *opportunity* here that cannot be found in a lot of places anymore.

In my neigborhood, people farm and raise cattle. Right now they're cutting seed tops and then doing their hay. A combine burns about 150 gallons of diesel a day, at over $5.00 a gallon.

Hay only sells for $35 a bale, and that's barely covering fuel.

Beef is just up a little over 1% from last year, and the costs to raise and get that beef to market have gone up many times that.

Every day, you open your browser window, read the news, and there's the gloom and doom.

However, every day I encounter folks in this area, and when I say, "How y'all doin'?", I invaiably get a response like, "It's a GREAT day in the Ozarks!".

I don't think I hear two complaints a month from locals.

We have an honest, hard working, optomistic, have-a-piece-of-pie kinda folks all through this state, and I'll bet you'd meet more than a few if you visited.

I've said time and time again, there's an Arkansas here for everyone. No matter if it's in a high-rise condo in Little Rock, a beautiful house in Bella Vista, a log cabin on the river, a trailer in the delta, or a tent on the 1/2 acre you own, there's someplace for everybody.

You can do anything you want. You can go to the Riverwalk in Little Rock,visit upscale shops and eateries, canoe the Buffalo, fish for trout in our rivers and cook it up riverside, go to art shows in Fayetteville, wine tasting partys, gay alliance meetings, antique shopping, take in a concert, just sit on a porch and stare open mouth at a mountain view, watch the deer, feed the bluebirds, or learn how to skin and cook racoon(that's the class I teach on this hill).

This is America the way it was envisioned by our forefathers.

This is Arkansas.

Y'all come and see us now, ya hear?

Old 07-06-2008, 01:54 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
RogMar, that's probably the best description I've seen in a while...reps to you! Arkansas... fits like my old worn out blue jeans - YES!

Old 07-06-2008, 02:01 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,497 times
And we have a Big Dam Bridge, too.

Big Dam Bridge - Pulaski County Arkansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas