Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:33 PM

23 posts, read 64,602 times

Advertisements

Sam,

Thanks for the links, very good information. In Tx. we had the same "journey" law, they did away with it and said "If you are a good citizen, without a criminal past" you can carry a loaded hand gun in your car...

The guy above you said:
"I don't quite get the mentality of those who want to carry guns" that means we want to protect our love ones' and ourselves....

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 06:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
Here's another good link.

States. (http://www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity.html - broken link)

Old 07-17-2008, 06:28 PM

23 posts, read 64,602 times
ElkHunter,

That is a GREAT list......

Thanks,

Jim

Old 07-17-2008, 08:34 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I don't have a problem with people carrying weapons as long as a thorough background check has been conducted. (I would also support psychological testing, but that's just me.)

BTW, the South has the highest murder rate of any region of the US. Arkansas has the 8th highest murder rate. Yet, Southern states are most likely to have concealed carry laws. The numbers simply don't bear witness to the assertion that concealed carry makes a place safer.

I was raised 'in town', so I don't quite get the mentality of those who want to carry guns. Nevertheless, I support their right to do so.
There are a lot of factors that affect murder rates. There's poverty, education (or the lack of it) and ethnicity (statistically speaking of course). If you use regional geography as your statistical measuring parameter, you can get some pretty misleading results. The South covers a lot of good as well as bad neighborhoods.

My own feeling is that CW permits deter crime. One of the lesser understood, by gun control lobbyists, facts of life is that criminals don't obey laws. Making it illegal to carry a concealed weapon only affects law abiding citizens to make them more vulnerable to the ne'er-do-wells of this world.

I don't carry. I know how much responsibility it entails. However, if I frequented places where there was the perception of danger of criminal activity, I would feel irresponsible not taking precaution for my own risk and that of my loved ones.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,715 times
Before I moved to Arkansas from Texas, I called the CHL department in Texas to inform them of the move. They had me return my Texas license to them. They then issued me another Texas license with my new Arkansas address on it. After moving to Arkansas, I contacted law enforcement in the town that I moved to and they told me the Texas license is good until the expiration date. Then I will have to get an Arkansas license. I carry wherever it is legal to do so.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Before I moved to Arkansas from Texas, I called the CHL department in Texas to inform them of the move. They had me return my Texas license to them. They then issued me another Texas license with my new Arkansas address on it. After moving to Arkansas, I contacted law enforcement in the town that I moved to and they told me the Texas license is good until the expiration date. Then I will have to get an Arkansas license. I carry wherever it is legal to do so.
Glad you got that worked out.

I've never taken the Arkansas course, my CC permit is federal, but if the two people I know that were recently licensed are any indication, believe me when I say you'll have no problem.

It's a "You pays your money....you gets your license" kinda thing.

Glad I'm not going the training, they would have had to work.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:06 PM

763 posts, read 2,660,884 times
I have a CCW permit and carry about everywhere I go. I hope and pray that I never have to draw my weapon but I believe a man should protect himself and his family.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,417 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with people carrying weapons as long as a thorough background check has been conducted. (I would also support psychological testing, but that's just me.)

BTW, the South has the highest murder rate of any region of the US. Arkansas has the 8th highest murder rate. Yet, Southern states are most likely to have concealed carry laws. The numbers simply don't bear witness to the assertion that concealed carry makes a place safer.

I was raised 'in town', so I don't quite get the mentality of those who want to carry guns. Nevertheless, I support their right to do so.

Murder Rates 1996 - 2007 | Death Penalty Information Center (http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-1996-2007#MRalpha - broken link)
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

Those are two sites with data on crime.
The big question is always - Is there actually a correlation between murder rate and gun ownership? You can't make that determination by glancing at a chart without doing a lot of analysis. Both sides of the question seem to always use the same data but come up with a different answer.

Which came first? Do more people have guns because crime has gone up, or has crime gone up because there are more guns. Canada outlawed them 60 years ago, and they still have murders and crime.

Perhaps southern and southwestern states have conceal and carry is because we are border states. Start paying attention to that issue and you may understand ... Just because it didn't or doesn't make sense for you, there are at least a dozen homeowners in Phoenix who defended their homes from vicious home invasions in the recent past, and they would all be happy to give you some testimonials to clear up the 'mentality' issue.

And - a good line - If we had had gun control in this country 200+ years ago, there never would have been an America.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:10 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,649 times
Really?
Quote:
.......( Snip for brevity ).....
... (Snip for brevity)...
o.
Let's start with " Southern states are the most likely...[CCW].
To start: 48 states have concealed carry laws. CCW is the norm, not the exception.
www.wikipedia.com
Type in : Concealed carry in the United States ( Case sensitive).

Old 03-05-2009, 04:39 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbear48 View Post
Really?

Let's start with " Southern states are the most likely...[CCW].
To start: 48 states have concealed carry laws. CCW is the norm, not the exception.
www.wikipedia.com
Type in : Concealed carry in the United States ( Case sensitive).
How many of the murder victums were CCW permit holders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas