Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 AM

24 posts, read 98,828 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to Arkansas very soon and have an interest in concealed carry. Is this something many Arkansans participate in? Do any of you wear a piece into town? Any business owners out there wear one? Is there a need in areas to wear one? Do you feel that because of the CCW permits issued in AR that it is a significant crime deterrent? Anyone in law enforcement have a comment on this?

What’s the overall census on concealed carry in Arkansas? Is it frowned upon? Or is it no big deal at all?

I'm curious to know!!!

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 12:24 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
For most of the people I know, its no big deal. if you want to carry you can, if you dont you dont. Most people around here have shotguns in their trucks anyway, for whatever reason.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:29 PM

308 posts, read 1,617,011 times
As arguy1973 mentioned already, I know more people who carry around shotguns and rifles in their trucks than handguns. I suspect whether or not CCW is actually needed and/or frowned upon by others depends upon where in AR you will be located.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:43 AM

570 posts, read 1,582,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post
I'm going to be moving to Arkansas very soon and have an interest in concealed carry. Is this something many Arkansans participate in? Do any of you wear a piece into town? Any business owners out there wear one? Is there a need in areas to wear one? Do you feel that because of the CCW permits issued in AR that it is a significant crime deterrent? Anyone in law enforcement have a comment on this?

What’s the overall census on concealed carry in Arkansas? Is it frowned upon? Or is it no big deal at all?

I'm curious to know!!!

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
I say It's good!
It's a freedom you don't have in allot of states. go get your CCW the more people that have them the better that's telling the Government what the people want. If you have a CCW doesn't say you have to carry all the time. But you can have it when you want and also in your car. The Arkansas CCW is good in 14 other states and you have to live here one year before you can apply for it. You can go to the Arkansas State Police web site their is CCW Info. their.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:10 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
I could easily embark upon a diatribe with this thread, but I shall not.

Suffice it to say that, yes, I believe in CC, yes, I carry, yes, I encourage others to also carry.

With one caveat..........*safely*.

By safely, I don't just mean that you need to observe safety rules, but understand that you are carrying a weapon for the protection of yourself and others. One must have the mindset that in the worse possible scenario, that weapon *must* be used.

If faced with a deadly force situation, it does great harm to both you and I if that weapon is taken from you, and now is in the hands of a criminal. That criminal will not hesitate to use it against others.

I worked in the Chicago area for many years, and northern Illinois, and particulary the Chicago area are anti-gun. It is a crime in Chicago to even own a gun.

Chicago and Washington D.C. are notoriously the biggest anti-gun areas in the U.S., and so therefore they also share another common thread, they have the highest homicide rates.

There are many, many reasons for CC, and the only reason I can think of against it (other than being a criminal), is....personality. If one tends to be a "rage" sort of person, having a weapon is probably not the most prudent thing. CC is not only a privilege, it's also a responsibility.

I recall watching a debate on television some years back about owning guns, and a person with a strong anti-gun fervor was railing about striking them from the face of the earth. The person ended their rant with, "I am proud to say there will *never* be a gun in my house".

The pro-gunner replied, "If I were that proud, I would put a large sign in front of my house stating, 'There are no firearms in this house'."

In other words..."Hey..wanna break-in here?".

Herbert Hoover said, "It is not the possibility of punishment that deters crime...it is the *certainty* of it".

It's well known, that in the hills at least, there is a certainty that the residents are armed.

We don't get meth-mouth tourists much 'round these parts.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:46 AM

23 posts, read 64,593 times
We will be moved in Cabot, Ar. next week. The first thing I am going to do is have my Texas CHL (ccw) converted over to AR. I have carried for many years and have never needed to "draw" on anyone, but, as they say "It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". The main reason for me is walking in the woods or walking the dog at night, I'm more worried about animals than people. That being said, here in Texas home breakins and car jackings are on the up swing, I want an even change if that happens....
Just my opinion.

Jim

Old 07-13-2008, 11:19 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Herbert Hoover said, "It is not the possibility of punishment that deters crime...it is the *certainty* of it".
I have absolutely no idea why I wrote "Herbert", when it was "J. Edgar".

Them wacky Hoover kids, I just can't keep 'em straight.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:37 PM

23 posts, read 64,593 times
I'm being told by a guy on another board that when I turn in my Tx. CHL it's 120 days before I get my AR. CCW, tell me that's not true. If it is , can you have a gun in your car if you don't have a CCW? Loaded..

Thanks,

Jim

Old 07-17-2008, 02:19 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
I don't have a problem with people carrying weapons as long as a thorough background check has been conducted. (I would also support psychological testing, but that's just me.)

BTW, the South has the highest murder rate of any region of the US. Arkansas has the 8th highest murder rate. Yet, Southern states are most likely to have concealed carry laws. The numbers simply don't bear witness to the assertion that concealed carry makes a place safer.

I was raised 'in town', so I don't quite get the mentality of those who want to carry guns. Nevertheless, I support their right to do so.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:05 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim789 View Post
I'm being told by a guy on another board that when I turn in my Tx. CHL it's 120 days before I get my AR. CCW, tell me that's not true. If it is , can you have a gun in your car if you don't have a CCW? Loaded..

Thanks,

Jim
Here's a couple of sites stating the law:

Arkansas State Police | Regulatory Services

http://www.asp.state.ar.us/divisions/rs/pdf/chl_faq.pdf

About.com: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/statelaws/23rdedition/arkansas.pdf

Note the part about being on a "journey" in the second one, which is vaguely worded and oft used in a defense.

I think it's in the first one that there's a drop down menu that says AR has reciprocity with Texas. Might want to call the Arkansas Police or the State Attorney General's office just to be sure, though...since ASP issues them, I'd try them first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas