Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 09:08 AM

12 posts, read 33,129 times

Advertisements

Hello - I am researching for family in the Hillsboro & Urbanna areas around Hillsboro - SE of Eldorado, Ar - Is there anyone in that area that could be of assistance ? am specifically looking for Cemetery info & am looking for info on the old Winn estate NE of Hillsboro - Thanks for looking - Herb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 AM

200 posts, read 682,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert Winn View Post
Hello - I am researching for family in the Hillsboro & Urbanna areas around Hillsboro - SE of Eldorado, Ar - Is there anyone in that area that could be of assistance ? am specifically looking for Cemetery info & am looking for info on the old Winn estate NE of Hillsboro - Thanks for looking - Herb
Mr Winn, are you familiar with RootsWeb? Specifically:

Union County Arkansas Cemeteries

Let me know if you need more assistance. There is a Union County Geneological Society that I can try to put you in touch with.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:34 AM

Talking Hillsboro,Ar

Good Day - Thanks for the quick reply - knew about google but had not got this particular site - It is going to be a big help in searching cemeterys - The genealogy society would help in finding the Old Winn Estate just NE of Hillsboro - I'm in the process of looking at old plat maps - Thanks again - Herb

Old 07-31-2008, 12:40 PM

OK, I talked with some folks in the Geneology Society. One in particular, a Mrs. Norris, grew up in the area you are referring to. She has copies of deeds found at the Union County Courthouse that belonged to her great-great grandmother Laura Atkins that mentions some Winn's on them. Apparently there was a group of Winn's in that area that moved off to Chicago some time ago. They were mentioned in the deeds as a result of a lawsuit regarding dispute of ownership of the lands the deeds refer to. I don't know enough about deeds and plats and such, but Mrs. Norris said that the land resided in Sections 30, 17, and 12 ???

Anyway, a more distant ancestor of hers was a William Atkins of Ireland that arrived there around 1850. His father was buried in Beason Cemetary, which according to Mrs. Norris, no longer exists. By that, I took it to mean that the graves are unmarked and the cemetary is no longer recognizable or maintained.

Mrs. Norris said she would be happy to communicate with you via email. Let me know if you want her address.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:43 AM

Sam - thanks for the info on Mrs Norris - She is a gold mine of info - Herb

Old 08-11-2008, 09:06 AM

Glad I could help. I've been doing some family research for a while myself, and these folks at the Union County Geneology Society definitely know their Union County history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: