Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:09 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Problem is that its not cost effective to build the road between Fort Smith and Texarkana. That is an extremely rural, backwoods part of the state and there really isn't a demand for that connection. Fort Smith/NWA to Kansas City is a completely different story which is why that road has been built. I honestly think an NWA-Tulsa connection at Interstate standards would be nice.
Today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette has an up-date on I-49. There is on-going work in the Fort Smith area and the I-30/I-49 interchange in Texarkana is well on it's way to completion. Although the right-of-way between Texarkana and Fort Smith has been selected and some of the environmental and archeological impact study has been completed, that segment is "unscheduled" and is waiting for funding. The study to justify this route determined that a direct route from New Orleans to Kansas City would be most beneficial, it still has to get in line for funding. A group of people has once again organized to try to get the road back on the "front burner".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 02:32 AM

11 posts, read 62,671 times
Quote:
Problem is that its not cost effective to build the road between Fort Smith and Texarkana. That is an extremely rural, backwoods part of the state and there really isn't a demand for that connection. Fort Smith/NWA to Kansas City is a completely different story which is why that road has been built. I honestly think an NWA-Tulsa connection at Interstate standards would be nice.
You've obviously not done much traveling on Highway 71 between Fort Smith and Texarkana. There certainly is a need for this artery; this road is frequently congested with truck traffic.

Personally, I would be willing to pay extra in taxes to get this project completed. It is many years overdue. The country is greatly in need of a single, continuous interstate running from New Orleans to the Canadian border. Also, perhaps having a real interstate running through town will finally be the kick in the pants Fort Smith leadership needs to start acting like a real city in the 21st century instead of remaining stuck back in 1960.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
I-49?? Hahahahahaha!!! That would make too much sense.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I-49?? Hahahahahaha!!! That would make too much sense.
What's so funny?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:18 PM

697 posts, read 1,774,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
What's so funny?
I don't understand either. The name I-49 will be applied to the road since it's being viewed as a northward extension of the Louisiana I-49. Although I suppose it could have just as easily been a southward extension of I-29 from Kansas City if they had wanted to.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,121 times
Quote:
It's been awhile since I've been on US 412 between Springdale and Tulsa but isn't most of it already interstate standards i.e. limited access? What parts are not? This definitely makes more sense for now. Linking NW Ark and Tulsa is very important for future growth in NW Ark/NE OK.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
It's been awhile since I've been on US 412 between Springdale and Tulsa but isn't most of it already interstate standards i.e. limited access? What parts are not? This definitely makes more sense for now. Linking NW Ark and Tulsa is very important for future growth in NW Ark/NE OK.

An Interstate between Springdale and Tulsa would be nice The last time I drove out towards Siloam Springs it was just regular country two lane.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
An Interstate between Springdale and Tulsa would be nice
It's been 4 lane divided between Tontitown and Siloam for several years now, it's a nice road.

Aside from where it goes through towns and drops to regular 4 lane, 412 is divided clear from Tulsa to a little ways past Hindsville, AR (the stretch from Springdale to Hindsville is a pretty drive) where it drops down to 2 lanes (and they've been making gradual improvements to that stretch towards Harrison too). An interstate would be nice, but bypasses around Siloam Springs and Tontitown would have to be built. It's possible the "northern bypass" around 412 in Springdale could be effectively worked into a future interstate route there, but I haven't seen anything that suggested taking that road up to interstate status. With it being a toll road in Oklahoma and the bypasses that would be necessary, it might be a bit difficult logistically. (Although no more so than I-49, but a little harder to justify I guess.)

Old 02-14-2011, 09:01 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
It's been 4 lane divided between Tontitown and Siloam for several years now, it's a nice road.

Aside from where it goes through towns and drops to regular 4 lane, 412 is divided clear from Tulsa to a little ways past Hindsville, AR (the stretch from Springdale to Hindsville is a pretty drive) where it drops down to 2 lanes (and they've been making gradual improvements to that stretch towards Harrison too). An interstate would be nice, but bypasses around Siloam Springs and Tontitown would have to be built. It's possible the "northern bypass" around 412 in Springdale could be effectively worked into a future interstate route there, but I haven't seen anything that suggested taking that road up to interstate status. With it being a toll road in Oklahoma and the bypasses that would be necessary, it might be a bit difficult logistically. (Although no more so than I-49, but a little harder to justify I guess.)
Maybe it was four lane in places, I drove quite a bit past Tontitownt, just to see what was there.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
Maybe it was four lane in places, I drove quite a bit past Tontitownt, just to see what was there.
It was probably 4 lane in the towns, but judging by satellite view they may have built that long stretch of divided all at once. I drove that stretch a few times in 2008-2010 and it was all divided except for the 4 lane through Siloam and Springdale/Tontitown by then. I'm not sure when the bird's eye view on the map software was updated, but it shows it all 4 lane too, but I can't see any obvious old 2 lane that they rerouted around, so I'm not sure how they built it exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas