Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:56 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by open minded View Post
I grew up in NLR and I think you are safe anywhere in that area, even the Camp Robinson area, and most areas in LR. Even though you didn't ask I thought I would share with you a few places you should eat while there -

US Pizza
Senor Tequilas (Mexican)
Whole Hog Cafe
Community Bakery

Those are my must haves when I am visiting. I would also stop to check out the Old Mill, the Central HS Museum & the LR Nine memorial at the capital, and the Farmers Market downtown.

Have a good time!
Ever been to Las Palmas (mexican) in NLR? It is amazing. Every one I have taken there has loved it and it's pretty cheap. You get a good amount for your money (IMO). My mom and I went to the one in Conway and it wasn't near as good in the one in NLR.

American Pie is also pretty good

NLR and LR have an abundance of restaurants and whenever I'm out late at night, I'm surprised at how full the parking lot is at some of these restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Whole Hog cafe is some of the best BBQ in the USA.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:41 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times
American Pie delivered us one of the WORST pizza's I've EVER eaten. I will never ever ever go there! The crust was not fully cooked even though the toppings were done and the pepperonis were getting crispy! I'm not sure how you can screw up a pizza that badly!

For BBQ, I prefer the Shack in Maumelle. The catered stuff I've had from Whole Hog was not that good and their hot sauce was nothing more than a sweet ketchup based sauce loaded with tabasco.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:08 AM

144 posts, read 460,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
For BBQ, I prefer the Shack in Maumelle. The catered stuff I've had from Whole Hog was not that good and their hot sauce was nothing more than a sweet ketchup based sauce loaded with tabasco.
As a sometime visitor, I have to admit that I've never had a bad experience at Whole Hog. I've been to the the Shack and it was good, but I'll take Whole Hog everytime. Heck, I even brought back a six-pack of their sauces last Christmas and have been rationing it out.

I think that Dam Goode Pies is a pretty decent pizza place and though its only open for lunch, I think Cotham's is a great place, especially if you're into politics as all the signage is great fun.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:24 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,760,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkosiek View Post
As a sometime visitor, I have to admit that I've never had a bad experience at Whole Hog. I've been to the the Shack and it was good, but I'll take Whole Hog everytime. Heck, I even brought back a six-pack of their sauces last Christmas and have been rationing it out.

I think that Dam Goode Pies is a pretty decent pizza place and though its only open for lunch, I think Cotham's is a great place, especially if you're into politics as all the signage is great fun.

Maybe Whole Hog sends us their scraps for catered lunches or something because I just did not find it all that inspiring! Not even as good as Famous Dave's. Admittedly, the only Whole Hog sauce I've had is the hot and as I said, pretty obviously just tabasco added to their regular sauce.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 AM

837 posts, read 2,249,173 times
Las Palmas and Senor Tequila are good recommendations, but mine would be La Hacienda, either the original on Cantrell (in Riverdale) or the new location on Chenal. Or if you want authentic Mexican, hit one of the taquerias in Southwest LR or Levy in NLR. (BTW I've lived in both those areas and I think people are out of line in warning people away. They are working class, yes, but hardly anything to be afraid of.)

Old 08-13-2008, 09:48 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
American Pie delivered us one of the WORST pizza's I've EVER eaten. I will never ever ever go there! The crust was not fully cooked even though the toppings were done and the pepperonis were getting crispy! I'm not sure how you can screw up a pizza that badly!

Interesting, I had a great pizza there but even those who make "the best" can have a bad day. [Not that I think American Pie is the best] Which American Pie did you go to?

Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Razorback Pizza is some of the best Pizza I've had. Also take a look at Damgoode Pies. I hear I also hear Iriana's is amazing but haven't tried it yet. Its in the River Market.

Whole Hog...meh. I think Famous Dave's and even Corky's is better. Haven't tried the Shack.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:39 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Iriana's is ok if you work downtown and want a quick lunch. It's nothing to go out of your way for, though. Same for Vino's, btw.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:18 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
I'll admit I wasn't crazy about the sauce at Whole Hog..But the ribs were perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas