Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 02:46 PM

21 posts, read 44,343 times

Advertisements

Check out Mena, Arkansas. Best place to retire in the USA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 07:04 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Go for retirement communities like Mountain Home, Bella Vista or Hot Springs. Don't fool yourself. If you choose a small rural town you are going to be trading racial tension for socio-economic tension. There are a lot of negative feelings by the "locals" towards high-falutin' lawyers with book learnin' and such. It's very hard to break through the clannish mentality and the concept that who you are (and who your daddy was, and grand daddy, etc.,) and who you know is the most important thing.

Yeah, I am generalizing, but I live in the rural Missouri Ozarks. 'nuf said.

20yrsinBranson
Crap. I agree with Branson on this one. What is the world coming to.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:49 AM

30 posts, read 166,810 times
martin9499, from the way you sound, you're describing Cherokee Village. It has the lakes, the dock, the rural character, the slower pace, and it's only 2 1/2 hours to Memphis for those time you get the urge to go back and visit your old stomping grounds.

As to fitting in, that's not going to be a problem as most everyone in the village is from somewhere else. Yes, you've got your old school throwbacks set in their ways about outsiders, but those people are getting fewer and farther between and becoming more and more irrelevant as the years go by, as is definitely not the case in very rural, out in the country parts of the state.

The future of the village is looking for fresh, new faces. I know this, and there is plenty of room for bright people who want to settle in the village and raise a family, and come with fresh ideas to help grow and better the village for the next generations. I would think the type of law you would want to practice has room for you in the Quad Cities area.

Cherokee Village is a diamond in the rough, and my family and I will be there full time sometime in the next 2 or 3 years. I have met so many wonderful people in the years we have been coming to the village and know it is the place for us. PM if you have any other questions or people I can put you in touch with. Good luck to you.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:26 PM

44 posts, read 209,311 times
Martin, thanks for joining in! I'm from Harrison...nice place, so is Mountain Home and they're not dry, but they're both on or along Bull Shoals Lake, a great place to be. Property/homes are very reasonable especially compared to what you're probably used to. Then there's the mountains, the Buffalo River, etc. Pretty hard to beat if you want to get out of the big city.

A probate/real estate attorney could do well here as most of the existing ones seem awfully busy. Not sure about Mountain Home, but Harrison is starved for attorney services in that vein.

Good luck to you, and welcome home.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 31,162 times
I would strongly suggest Paragould. It is about 20 minutes north of Jonesboro, AR with a population of about 25,000. The cost of living is reasonable and schools are very good. No racial tension at all. I relocated here about 8 years ago and love the community.

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 09-12-2009 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: No advertising

Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 AM

333 posts, read 1,021,512 times
I would look into the Northwest corner of the state--Rogers, Fayetteville, etc.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
wonder if Martin ever decided, last time he posted was over a year ago..

Nita

Old 03-06-2010, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 6,976 times
Many people in Memphis and W. Memphis have vacation homes in Heber. My neighbor is a Memphis vacationer. He bought some land and set up a small two bed mobile home. I just moved here last year from crime infested southwest AR and love it here. Quiet, mostly retirees, and the school system is one of the best. My daughter is 9 and loves the school. You are only 40mins away from Conway, Searcy, and Batesville and only 1 hour from Little Rock. You never get bored. Lots of nature trails, huge lake that spands two counties, camping fishing, a fish hatchery, museums. My husband is a wildlife officer, so this was the perfect place for us to be. Population says around 7,000, but that's really only during the summer months b/c of the second homes of Memphis folks. Really it's more like 5,000. We have a single movie theater, bowling alley, and we're getting a multi-million dollar community center with indoor recreation, aquatic arena, and it's suppose to be the best that the state has ever seen. It will open late spring 2010. We have so much stuff, but it's still a quiet rural community. Hope this helped!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas