Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:31 PM

16 posts, read 42,706 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the info. From the posts here is what I'm taking in.

- Septic vs. sewer doesn't influence my decision, I've had both and with a little common sense a septic is fine.
- The comment that there are more conveiniences available with towns being closer is a plus for Belle Vista.
- Traffic is tough to discern. One persons traffic jam is relatively smooth sailing for another.
- Fishing access is good for both areas.
- Golf seems to be good at both areas, I'm not sure of the course conditions, beauty and layout of each being grossly different.
- Belle Vista is slightly cooler in the summer as well as the winter. Being from Colorado I don't think winter is a great concern.

Thank You again for the information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:33 PM

490 posts, read 1,265,630 times
I also prefer HSV over BV. I visited both before deciding where to retire and chose HSV because

1) HSV is gated, prefer the security
2) played golf at both, HSV courses are better than BV, plus there are more
3) there is no major highway running through HSV
4) I am also a fisherman, there are more lakes within HSV, plus Lake Ouachita, 12 miles from main gate, second cleanest lake in USA according to EPA, no homes on it and never will be
5) not in a dry county, I like my occasional cocktail
6) love downtown Hot Springs
7) closer to LR airport

I agree with Jeff Atkins, you need to visit both before deciding. Different strokes for different folks. My choice is HSV.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:13 PM

7 posts, read 19,561 times
I also chose hsv, I to can't pass up lake Quachita. I also prefer the warmer climate, I worked with a electrican who lived in that area he told me there was a lot more ice storms in the ozarks, than the quachita mountain range. florida strain largemouthbass and some big strippedbass in lake Quachita, with out houses all over the lake is hard to find. Plus there trying to improve the fishing in the village lakes. New regulations and stocking is being done.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:13 PM

288 posts, read 1,079,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And Jeff's claim about septic/sewer is way off as well.
I have been told by multiple real estate agents that only small parts of BVV are on sewer. So what percentage do you think is on sewer?

Old 09-12-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Jeff, how much time did you spend in BV? I am only asking because much of what you say, either isn't true or applies to only some areas, BV has townhouses, normal residentual lots, view lots, and acerage. The roads, for the most part are well maintained (not in all cases) there are as many trees as anywhere in the country I think, there is very little traffic except on 71 during morning and evening rush hour and we certainly have as many golf courses as anyone could want, plus lakes and lots of lake lots. Many of our areas have common grounds between lots so there will never be houses. yes, there are some areas that look just like standard sub devisions built on the golf courses. Actually the thing our daughter didn't like about HSV was close to what you are saying. She didn't say anything about traffic, but didn't like the distance to things like hospitals and thought the homes (we are talking $300,000 and above) were built cheaply with the landscapes lacking any personality. Of course you are aware BV was just rated in the top 40 cities in the United States and Fayetteville as well as all of NWA is in the top 10.

I am not saying one should not visit both, you should, but I really don't think you have a very good picture of BV.

Nita

Nita,

I have spent multiple days there on multiple occasions, and looked at property from one end to the other. I still own 7 lots there. I think I have a very good picture of BVV.

*There are very few roads in BVV that compare to the quality of the roads in HSV.
* There are roads in both that are still unpaved. All of them in HSV are passable, that is not the case in BVV. I've driven through the bottom of a ditch in BVV, with bushes scraping both sides of my car for several miles. There was another loop off that road that was completely impassable.
* I once saw St Louis as one of the best places to live in a magazine. I guess they were comparing it to East St Louis.
* It will take you as long to get to a Hospital from most BVV area as it will to get from HSV to Benton or HSV to Hot Springs. HSV to Little Rock probably isn't much further in terms of travel time.
* There is NO COMPARISON in the variety of lots. I have looked at a hundreds in BVV and several thousand in HSV.
* There is NO COMPARISON in the traffic.
* Most of the golf course holes in BVV run side by side. In HSV there only a few holes like that. Because of the "loop" design here, there are many more lots with golf frontage.
* 3 of the courses in BVV are adjacent on a 4-lane US Hwy. Not a great setting, nothing like an 18-wheeler whizzing by while you line up a putt.

Jeff

Old 09-12-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
I might also add that my aunt and uncle live in HSV and their HOA fees for their bigger lots and better roads are outragouse compared to those of Bella. The sense of community is not there in HSV either.
Here are the POA Dues per month:
unimproved BVV = $16 HSV = $32
improved (house) BVV = $24 HSV = $32

If you have a home, the difference is $8/month. If you DON"T own a home, you'll have to pay MUCH more in BVV to build one. From the BVV website: "The total amount due will be $6,920.74." The only comparable fee in HSV is a $1500 public works fee.

There are hundreds of community organziations here, I suspect they are just as vibrant as in BVV. Do you have any basis for the "sense of community" comment?

I find it interesting that the aunt and uncle are here, and not in BVV!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
I also prefer HSV over BV. I visited both before deciding where to retire and chose HSV because

1) HSV is gated, prefer the security
2) played golf at both, HSV courses are better than BV, plus there are more
3) there is no major highway running through HSV
4) I am also a fisherman, there are more lakes within HSV, plus Lake Ouachita, 12 miles from main gate, second cleanest lake in USA according to EPA, no homes on it and never will be
5) not in a dry county, I like my occasional cocktail
6) love downtown Hot Springs
7) closer to LR airport

I agree with Jeff Atkins, you need to visit both before deciding. Different strokes for different folks. My choice is HSV.
I agree, visit both. Everyone does have their preferance, but the dry county thing cracks me up. There is a saying around here, Benton county is the wettest dry county in the country. We can buy our booze on the MO boarder which, by the way, is much less expensive than AR and most restaurants have cards for buying drinks. Washingon Co, isn't dry and only a few miles away. We too were a little concerned but it hasn't fazed us. In fact we someimes forget it is dry.

Though I don't share your views, you do have reasons for prefering HSV. I always have problems (this is related to anything you have said) with over-exagertion, like No sewers when indeed BV is building more homes on sewers all the time.

Most people will find the villages very similar I am sure, with a preferance for one over the other because of some little feature.

NIta

Last edited by nmnita; 09-13-2008 at 07:58 AM..

Old 09-13-2008, 02:54 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAtkins View Post
Here are the POA Dues per month:
unimproved BVV = $16 HSV = $32
improved (house) BVV = $24 HSV = $32

If you have a home, the difference is $8/month. If you DON"T own a home, you'll have to pay MUCH more in BVV to build one. From the BVV website: "The total amount due will be $6,920.74." The only comparable fee in HSV is a $1500 public works fee.

There are hundreds of community organziations here, I suspect they are just as vibrant as in BVV. Do you have any basis for the "sense of community" comment?

I find it interesting that the aunt and uncle are here, and not in BVV!
Listen, the OP asked for opinions of the two and what people thought of both, I gave mine. There is no reason for you to take offense to my post as it was my opinion on sense of community and this is not an issue that should start an arguement. I have dealt with both areas and that is the opinion I have.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I always have problems (this is related to anything you have said) with over-exagertion, like No sewers when indeed BV is building more homes on sewers all the time.
I put more facts in my post than almost anyone else, I slightly goofed on one of those facts. My apologies for over generalizing.

I said:
* BVV is on septic where HSV is 100% sewer

I should have said:
* Most of BVV is on septic, HSV is 100% sewer.

I don't know the percentage of homes/lots in BVV on septic, but I suspect that it is more than 90%

Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
my parents lived in HSV for over 10 years. They loved it there. we used to go down and visit them a number of times each year. The weather in Hot Springs is typically warmer through the winters. there are more ice storms in the northern part of the state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas