Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times

Advertisements

So you'd rather have a 50 something guy who runs around cheating on his wife with some 20 year old kid, Nita? That's a great example to set for not only your athletes, but for all of Arkansas considering how much attention the UA football coach garners in that state. Bobby Petrino is a man of low character, and has proven so time and again. He once left a coordinator job in Jacksonville to take another one without even informing his head coach that he was going. When he was at Louisville the first time he tried to steal Tommy Tuberville's job at Auburn while Tuberville was still employed there and then lied about it. He quit on his team in Atlanta in the middle of a season to take the Arkansas job and didn't even have the guts to tell them face to face.....instead leaving a letter behind basically saying "SEE YA!" Then came motorcycle-gate in Fayetteville. He tried to lie his way out of that one, too. As for his coaching skills, yeah, he's a pretty good x's and o's guy. But he's not THAT good. How many championship rings does Petrino have? Zip. Is having a guy like that around the kids at your university worth a few extra wins a season? Not to me. Not even if he had won championships. Character still stands for something in my book.

As for Bielema's failed tenure, I point to a few things. First, and most importantly, they never had a defense that could stop anybody. You can win consistently with a great defense and a blah offense, but not the other way around. Bret's teams would jump out to leads and then watch them disappear at a dizzying pace. They couldn't stop the big play. Opponents were consistently busting long runs and completing deep passes on them. By the time they figured out Robb Smith's defenses weren't going to cut it after the 2016 season it was too late. Paul Rhoads was brought it and fared no better, but the offense had lost so many key players that now they couldn't hold up their end of the bargain, either. That was the beginning of the end.

Bielema was also counting on Austin Allen to pick up where his brother left off at quarterback, and although he got off to a good start, he was plagued by inconsistency and injuries during his 2 years as the starter. In his defense, Austin did not have nearly the supporting cast that Brandon had. Brandon was playing with a slew of guys who wound up in the NFL. Austin's teams were less talented and much more injury prone.

And that was my final point in correlation with Bielema. The injuries....especially the past year. Rawleigh Williams lead the SEC in rushing in 2016 but suffered a neck injury that forced him to retire from playing football entirely. Then Williams backup, Chase Hayden, also was injured and missed the rest of the year. Frank Ragnow, an all American center - one of the most important positions on the team - went down. Jared Cornelius, who was being counted on to take over the #1 wide receiver slot, tore his achilles tendon and was out. Ryan Pulley, their best defensive back, torn pectoral muscle - out for the year. Austin Allen has a shoulder injury that caused him to miss several games. Hjalte Froholdt, another key offensive lineman, suffered a knee injury that hobbled him all season. Those are just the key injuries from this past season. There were many more during the previous ones, including the broken foot that sidelined Dre Greenlaw and severely hampered the defense in 2016.

As for Fossil's inquiry as to whether the team was trying to lose.......well, I wouldn't quite go that far, but it was evident that they were worn down more often than not this year, and I did see a whole lotta head hangin' and gripin' taking place.....especially from Allen, who was supposed to be the leader of the team. I knew the end was near for Bret by then. I don't think his offensive approach was the problem some have made it out to be. Other SEC schools run a similar pro style format. Bret just didn't have the horses to make it go in 2017, and the defense was just atrocious. It was a recipe for the unemployment line that unfortunately got followed to the letter and then some.

I love watching SEC football, but I personally think Arkansas would be better off in the Big 12. I would love to see rivalries restored with the Texas schools and developed with the Oklahoma schools. Recruiting would be much easier for them in the Big 12 than having to go toe to toe with Alabama, Aubrun, Georgia, LSU and the likes. Nita's right when she says the SEC is just a brutal football conference to compete in.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 11-28-2017 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 01:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
So you'd rather have a 50 something guy who runs around cheating on his wife with some 20 year old kid, Nita? That's a great example to set for not only your athletes, but for all of Arkansas considering how much attention the UA football coach garners in that state. Bobby Petrino is a man of low character, and has proven so time and again. He once left a coordinator job in Jacksonville to take another one without even informing his head coach that he was going. When he was at Louisville the first time he tried to steal Tommy Tuberville's job at Auburn while Tuberville was still employed there and then lied about it. He quit on his team in Atlanta in the middle of a season to take the Arkansas job and didn't even have the guts to tell them face to face.....instead leaving a letter behind basically saying "SEE YA!" Then came motorcycle-gate in Fayetteville. He tried to lie his way out of that one, too. As for his coaching skills, yeah, he's a pretty good x's and o's guy. But he's not THAT good. How many championship rings does Petrino have? Zip. Is having a guy like that around the kids at your university worth a few extra wins a season? Not to me. Not even if he had won championships. Character still stands for something in my book.

As for Bielema's failed tenure, I point to a few things. First, and most importantly, they never had a defense that could stop anybody. You can win consistently with a great defense and a blah offense, but not the other way around. Bret's teams would jump out to leads and then watch them disappear at a dizzying pace. They couldn't stop the big play. Opponents were consistently busting long runs and completing deep passes on them. By the time they figured out Robb Smith's defenses weren't going to cut it after the 2016 season it was too late. Paul Rhoads was brought it and fared no better, but the offense had lost so many key players that now they couldn't hold up their end of the bargain, either. That was the beginning of the end.

Bielema was also counting on Austin Allen to pick up where his brother left off at quarterback, and although he got off to a good start, he was plagued by inconsistency and injuries during his 2 years as the starter. In his defense, Austin did not have nearly the supporting cast that Brandon had. Brandon was playing with a slew of guys who wound up in the NFL. Austin's teams were less talented and much more injury prone.

And that was my final point in correlation with Bielema. The injuries....especially the past year. Rawleigh Williams lead the SEC in rushing in 2016 but suffered a neck injury that forced him to retire from playing football entirely. Then Williams backup, Chase Hayden, also was injured and missed the rest of the year. Frank Ragnow, an all American center - one of the most important positions on the team - went down. Jared Cornelius, who was being counted on to take over the #1 wide receiver slot, tore his achilles tendon and was out. Ryan Pulley, their best defensive back, torn pectoral muscle - out for the year. Austin Allen has a shoulder injury that caused him to miss several games. Hjalte Froholdt, another key offensive lineman, suffered a knee injury that hobbled him all season. Those are just the key injuries from this past season. There were many more during the previous ones, including the broken foot that sidelined Dre Greenlaw and severely hampered the defense in 2016.

As for Fossil's inquiry as to whether the team was trying to lose.......well, I wouldn't quite go that far, but it was evident that they were worn down more often than not this year, and I did see a whole lotta head hangin' and gripin' taking place.....especially from Allen, who was supposed to be the leader of the team. I knew the end was near for Bret by then. I don't think his offensive approach was the problem some have made it out to be. Other SEC schools run a similar pro style format. Bret just didn't have the horses to make it go in 2017, and the defense was just atrocious. It was a recipe for the unemployment line that unfortunately got followed to the letter and then some.

I love watching SEC football, but I personally think Arkansas would be better off in the Big 12. I would love to see rivalries restored with the Texas schools and developed with the Oklahoma schools. Recruiting would be much easier for them in the Big 12 than having to go toe to toe with Alabama, Aubrun, Georgia, LSU and the likes. Nita's right when she says the SEC is just a brutal football conference to compete in.
OMG no, I have said for years AR did what had to be done, fired is A@@. I was simply pointing out, with a coach that knows how to coach a certain group of players you get results. I would rater lose every game than have a coach that is a total jerk, morally as well as in most other ways. I could not stand Patrino.

Both hubby and I agree we are in the wrong conference. And yes, injuries have played a big part in the past few years. Or course most teams can say the same.

Again, I am glad Patrino isn't our coach, I am just thinking how the firing backfired.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:08 AM

They are all in for Gus Malzahn, and have a huge offer ready to go according to everything I've read. Malzahn has indicated he will at least be listening, although many believe he's using Arkansas' interest simply to jack up his current deal at Auburn. If they swing and miss on Gus look for Memphis' Mike Norvell to be headed to Fayetteville.

Incidentally, Bielema's severance turned out to be a whopping $11.8 million. The school tried to chop it down to 5 or 6, but Bret's team was locked and loaded to make them pay the full 15, and so they settled on 11.8.

That Walton/Jerry Jones money certainly seems easy to spend.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:01 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
$11.8 MILLION. I had the wrong career, heck I would have gladly gotten fired for half that!

Old 12-03-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
$11.8 MILLION. I had the wrong career, heck I would have gladly gotten fired for half that!
Yeah, me too.

Malzahn is staying at Auburn. Got a new deal today. I was gonna be really surprised if he actually took the Hogs job. Can't blame 'em for tryin', though.

Norvell and Chad Morris from SMU are now their top candidates.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Yeah, me too.

Malzahn is staying at Auburn. Got a new deal today. I was gonna be really surprised if he actually took the Hogs job. Can't blame 'em for tryin', though.

Norvell and Chad Morris from SMU are now their top candidates.
yep, it looks like the search has several possible candidates. I am concerned about all the talk regarding the Memphis coach. After watching them have so many chances to seal the win on Sat they seemed to play a Razorback game, just couldn't get in 100% together at the end. I hope I am wrong.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
yep, it looks like the search has several possible candidates. I am concerned about all the talk regarding the Memphis coach. After watching them have so many chances to seal the win on Sat they seemed to play a Razorback game, just couldn't get in 100% together at the end. I hope I am wrong.
They want someone who can recruit Texas, and both Norvell and Morris have the ties to do that.....although niether will be the big splash hire that Malzahn would have been.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:20 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,902,442 times
My question is who in the would want the Razorback foot ball coach job with the past history of their politicks? Whoever takes it will require, and receive, big $.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
My question is who in the would want the Razorback foot ball coach job with the past history of their politicks? Whoever takes it will require, and receive, big $.
It's the same game at every big time football school, Fossil. I lived in Michigan when Bill Martin and the boosters ran off Lloyd Carr back in 2007, and that program still hasn't recovered.....even after breaking the bank to lure Jim Harbaugh, who was supposed to be the Michigan savior, but instead is 1-5 against his chief rivals Mich. St./Ohio St. with no Big 10 titles in 3 years.

You want politics? Take a look at that raging dumpster fire over in Knoxville, TN. That's as bad as it gets.

The Arkansas situation is sweet smelling flowers in comparison.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:30 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,902,442 times
Quote:
It's the same game at every big time football school, Fossil. I lived in Michigan when Bill Martin and the boosters ran off Lloyd Carr back in 2007, and that program still hasn't recovered.....even after breaking the bank to lure Jim Harbaugh, who was supposed to be the Michigan savior, but instead is 1-5 against his chief rivals Mich. St./Ohio St. with no Big 10 titles in 3 years.

You want politics? Take a look at that raging dumpster fire over in Knoxville, TN. That's as bad as it gets.

The Arkansas situation is sweet smelling flowers in comparison.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas