Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 AM

971 posts, read 1,452,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shadowcat View Post
Washburn, MO area representative checking in.

That lightning sure was wicked last night!

I know that 104.9 the X got knocked off the air, but they got them back on this morning.

Lightning sure has been hard on the local radio stations this past month or so! First it was 106.5 and then 88.1 and they were both on extra-low power for a week or so each. And then 104.9 getting hit yesterday, but they got it repaired pretty fast. It must not have been as bad of a hit as the others took.
Hello neighbor Bill,
I watched that lightening and storm until about 5 a.m.. It was a fierce one. It came north out of Nitas area up through Springfield. My dad and I were storm watchers. When others would seek cover, we would go outside and watch untul driven onside by the rain. There is a place around Shell Knob that seems to draw the lightening as a ightening storm never seems to miss striking the same place several times during its passing.

My dad and I hauled a lot of Washburn rock to our area in the 50's to put on the outside of buildings. It was much flater than nailing up our limestone rock. I don't see much of the rock sided buildings any more.

Nice to hear your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 10:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
I actually made it til almost 9pm last night. today is beautiful and sunny. The high is supposed to be only about 62 but I bet it is close to 70 already. We cleaned our screened porch today, including spraying our chairs and table that were covered with the darn green pollen. We moved the grills back outside and are now ready to start enjoying the rest of spring and the summer months. I have my bridge group here for lunch this Wednesday, it will be nice to have one table playing on the porch. By this time next year we hope to have the porch glassed in.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:29 AM

26 posts, read 38,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I guess you can tell how bad it was: we usually crash about 9 or 9:30. It is only 7:30 and we are both trying to stay awake. Hubby has on O'Reilly, I am about to head for the bedroom and hopefully will be able to stay awake long enough to watch ARk week on PBS.
I miss McLaughlin Group being on Friday evenings. I don't like how they've changed that because that show is so informative and entertaining partially because some of the participants are so old but they still act like they're gonna get at each other's throats. Pat Buchanan was always my favourite one. He told things like they are, in my opinion. I guess the show is still out there but I haven't looked it up.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I miss McLaughlin Group being on Friday evenings. I don't like how they've changed that because that show is so informative and entertaining partially because some of the participants are so old but they still act like they're gonna get at each other's throats. Pat Buchanan was always my favourite one. He told things like they are, in my opinion. I guess the show is still out there but I haven't looked it up.
I agree and they do give both sides which I love. I guess my favorite has to be Eleanor. No, I don't agree with her on many things but I sometimes feel sorry for her, cause she gets picked on constantly. We have been watching it since from the start 2 or more decades ago: she and Pat part of the show even then. It comes on at 8:30 PBS.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:59 AM

26 posts, read 38,137 times
Quote:
I agree and they do give both sides which I love. I guess my favorite has to be Eleanor. No, I don't agree with her on many things but I sometimes feel sorry for her, cause she gets picked on constantly. We have been watching it since from the start 2 or more decades ago: she and Pat part of the show even then. It comes on at 8:30 PBS.
AETN still has it @ 8:30? I haven't gotten AETN since the change to digital. I think OPT moved McLaughlin Group to some other day or something. I haven't seen it in a long time.

Eleanor often makes good points.

I wonder how old John Mclaughlin and Pat Buchanan are. They gotta be way up in their 80's, I think.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
AETN still has it @ 8:30? I haven't gotten AETN since the change to digital. I think OPT moved McLaughlin Group to some other day or something. I haven't seen it in a long time.

Eleanor often makes good points.

I wonder how old John Mclaughlin and Pat Buchanan are. They gotta be way up in their 80's, I think.
McLaughlin is probably pushing 80 but no, Pat is nowhere near that one. Eleanor is in her 60s. I think.

Actually I just looked their ages up: McLaughlin is 86 (I had no idea he was that old) I did know we was a Rhodes scholar and also a priest. He left the priesthood for political reasons and later married. Pat will be 75 this year and Eleanor is 72, almost 73.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:27 PM

DC, I thought about you today. About 3 or 4 years ago you mentioned picking wild berries here in Bella Vista. Well, I was on my way from here to Wal Mart, using the back way and I couldn't believe all the berry blossoms. We will have a lot of berry jam this year unless the deer eat them all before we have chance to do out picking. I am guessing, because we are having a late spring, they won't be ready for about another month.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:43 PM

971 posts, read 1,452,333 times
Quote:
DC, I thought about you today. About 3 or 4 years ago you mentioned picking wild berries here in Bella Vista. Well, I was on my way from here to Wal Mart, using the back way and I couldn't believe all the berry blossoms. We will have a lot of berry jam this year unless the deer eat them all before we have chance to do out picking. I am guessing, because we are having a late spring, they won't be ready for about another month.
Nita, it was a strange spring for the various flowers as well. Some bloomed early and some not at all. May be a good berry and nut year and then again might not be either. I don't remember a cold spell we usually call a blackberry winter. So I guess we will see. IMHO Bluff

Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Hey, Nita. Last year I cut back all the blackberry canes in my yard (they were taking over!), so I didn't really expect many berries this year. But lo and behold, those blackberries are a persistent pest, and it looks like I'll probably manage a few quarts. I can't wait to go blueberry picking soon, too! (Also, I'm closely monitoring my first tomato of the year!) My herbs are doing well, except for the basil, which the slugs have discovered. I don't want to use pesticide, and I planted the citrus mint right next to the basil as a deterrent, but it looks like I'm going to have get something. That said, every evening I sit outside these days, the roses and honeysuckle make the night smell so wonderful.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Hey, Nita. Last year I cut back all the blackberry canes in my yard (they were taking over!), so I didn't really expect many berries this year. But lo and behold, those blackberries are a persistent pest, and it looks like I'll probably manage a few quarts. I can't wait to go blueberry picking soon, too! (Also, I'm closely monitoring my first tomato of the year!) My herbs are doing well, except for the basil, which the slugs have discovered. I don't want to use pesticide, and I planted the citrus mint right next to the basil as a deterrent, but it looks like I'm going to have get something. That said, every evening I sit outside these days, the roses and honeysuckle make the night smell so wonderful.
It is such a wonderful time of the year. I have my first couple of tomatoes but they are no bigger than my baby finger nail. My herbs are all healthy so far: time will tell. I decided to not put them in so much sun this year. Because of last years heat, the only thing that did much of anything was the "impossible" to kill rosemary. My lemon balm is beautiful, I am just not quite sure what to do with it.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas